• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’ve always felt .223 gets overlooked. The ubiquitous cartridge is everywhere, which causes people talk about ANYTHING else. So I’d like to take a step back and rethink some merits of this cartridge and rifles optimized for it.

IMG_3713.jpeg

The Model 25 sits in a unique category in Savage’s lineup. It doesn’t seem to share much in common with their 10/110 or Axis models. This is a very unique and high quality feeling rifle that sets itself apart.

This is a dedicated “micro” action. By that I mean, it’s optimized for .223 length cartridges. In turn… you end up with a very agile rifle, not some .308 length action that’s adapted down. It’s very purpose built and it’s apparent when you handle the 25.

I’ve spent time on the model 10 in .223 and ….. well it’s just clunky and underwhelming. A large action adapted to a smallish round.

IMG_3716.jpeg

They make it in a few different stock options, laminate and polymer. As well as a few calibers; .223 Rem, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .17 Hornet

This model has the 24 inch 1-9 .223 barrel. Making the rifle slightly front heavy. But still only 8 lbs.

Trigger is quite good, safety is positive enough. Action is VERY satisfying to run. Optics sit at an optimum height. Really feels like you can get down on this rifle snugly.

And that stock…….. beautiful laminate. The profile of the thumb hole makes the rifle feel like an extension of the shooter. Forend is wide enough for bag work, but not too blocky for walking and field positions.

Jeweling on the bolt is a nice touch.

IMG_3717.jpeg

Now for the only criticism I have….. the magazine. I love Savage rifles and how they group, but nearly every Savage rifle I’ve spent time on, has had some sort of magazine issue. This and another 25 I’ve shot, BOTH have had repeated malfunctions with the bolt overriding the cartridge.

For my testing purposes, it was an occasional annoyance, but never seemed to bother me all that much due to the nature of this rifle.

So in short, don’t plan on using this rifle to fight your way out of the groundhog apocalypse.

IMG_3719.jpegIMG_3718.jpeg

Well now the fun part. This rifle is such a tight shooter! Some quick and basic loads I made up and fired at 50 yards. I tested 50 grain through 73 grain with some different powders.

Surprisingly, 73s stabilized well, which would make this rifle a fine candidate for some long range target fun! Added benefit of low powder cost and light recoil.

Then the flip side being light weight 50 grain varmint bullets at 3400 fps. The dual purpose really appeals to me. Coyotes and groundhogs stand no chance.

Or you can just shoot cheap 55 grain bulk ammo! Although this rifle just begs for the good stuff…Not too many centerfire calibers are as cheap and widely stocked as .223.

IMG_3708.jpeg

In summary, yes it’s more money than most of us think a Savage should cost… but the juice is worth the squeeze I believe. It’s a rifle you’ll WANT to shoot a lot without worrying on costs or recoil. A great feeling action, in a great feeling stock, with a versatile and ubiquitous cartridge.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    They were interesting rifles when they first came out. I think they refer to them as a ‘walking varminter’ style. Light enough to walk the woods or fence lines but accurate enough to hit critters out to several hundred yards.

Good write up. I don’t shoot rifle caliber stuff near as much as I used to , but something like this is still tempting. Glad you are liking it!

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I had a Savage Model 93 in .17 HMR. It was an excellent, purpose built rifle for rimfire magnum cartridges.

I've also owned several Savage 10/110 rifles. They're very well made for the money. And easy to customize.

IMHO, Savage products are highly underrated in a world of shiny new toys.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Very nice write-up! I too am a fan of the venerable .223...it's cheap, abundant, versatile, and entirely adequate for almost everything I do with it, which is basically punching paper out to 200 yards, occasional varmints in closer than that, and let's not forget the home defense AR.

I've have a Savage Model 10FP-SR in .223 with a medium-weight 1:9 barrel for probably close to 15 years. I agree with your assessment...it's heavier and a bit clunkier than it needs to be, but it shoots lights out. The biggest problems I've had with it were the craptastic plastic stock, which I replaced with a Boyd's (looking at that thumbhole laminate in your photos, it actually wouldn't surprise me if Savage sourced it from Boyd's), and the horrible internal magazine. Unlike the removable box on your 25, mine doesn't have problems feeding, but it's incredibly stiff and difficult to load. IMO, they could have designed this thing to accept AR mags and had a simpler, cheaper, more reliable solution. A little 10-round Pmag would be great in this rifle.

Overall I think Savage makes a really nice rifle for the money. While I don't use a bolt-action enough to justify a special-purpose rifle like the 25, I like that they're doing stuff like this.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    At one time the .222 Remington was considered to be the Pinnacle of the varmint rounds. There were a couple dozen varmint rounds that came and went, in that same ballistic range. They could not unseat the .222 Rem from it's throne. The .222 Mag was brought out and the .223 Remington was settled on. I have a newer Varmint Rifle in .223 Rem, just because the ammo is so easy to get. 40 or so years ago, I bought the .222 Rem. Both are great light hunting calibers, but one is fading away., especially if a person does not reload.

Like any rifle, whichever you have, matching the right bullet to the barrel twist is the 1st step to accuracy.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Very nice write up....as a general rule Savage rifles shoot. I have several that shoot way better then there price point.
    Get a trigger upgrade and you are ready to hit the 600 yard target....73 ELD will fly, and your rifle will launch them.
    Say what you want about the 223, my match rifle is chambered in 223 and will flat hammer at 600 yards.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Squid556: It looks like you were having just way too much fun shooting and reviewing that rifle! I’m jealous.
    It’s great to see such a well rounded review and pictures to boot.
    Well done! :wavey:

Top Bottom