• ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Today I had my first chance to go out to the range and try my new North American Arms Guardian, chambered in .32NAA. I bought this yesterday from huawilso (+1, by the way--great guy), NIB, unfired.

UPDATE: Here are some photos of my Guardian:

IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg
    IMG_3496.jpg

The machining and finish on the pistol are excellent...perfect, really, just like the photos. You can tell that NAA spends the time to nicely finish their pistols, much more so than a typical less-expensive pocket pistol like a Kel-Tec. The action is smooth, although the trigger pull is HEAVY, which I had expected. It is also quite long. I would have NO concern with this weapon "accidentally" firing in my pocket, especially in a pocket holster. The trigger pull is one of the heaviest I've ever experienced--again, I don't mind this in a self-defense pistol with no external safety.

It also takes a LOT of force to rack the slide. In a self-defense scenario, I would hope that adrenaline would make this irrelevant, but my thumb is really sore from the serrations. I suppose it might be worth the investment to have NAA machine the special scalloped serrations that their custom people do.

.32 NAA is an interesting caliber. It's essentially a .380 casing necked down to accept a .32 caliber bullet, kind of analogous to a .357 SIG or a .17 HMR. In some places online, it's designated as the "32/380" cartridge. This generates a significantly higher muzzle velocity compared to the parent cartridge, while allowing a small frame (see NAA's page). The recoil from this sucker is impressive. I have a steel-framed S&W snubnose .357 (Model 640), and I think that the Guardian hurts more to shoot. Obviously, this is a pistol designed for close-range self-defense, not extended range sessions. I fired 70 rounds today and that was about my limit.

I like the idea of the .32 NAA caliber as a means of boosting the power of very small pistols. Although the ammunition is not commonplace in stores, I think it is a more powerful choice than .380 ACP for self-defense. 9mm is obviously going to be better--but it seems to me that the .32 NAA is better than .380 ACP, and it's pretty tough to get a 9mm down to this size. By the way, the ammunition really isn't difficult to obtain. I purchased several boxes directly from Cor-Bon, and several more from North American Arms. NAA offers a box of 50 FMJ cartridges for $24, and a box of 20 JHP rounds for $11. That's right, eleven bucks! Try finding a box of good-quality JHP cartridges in .380 for that price!

I have learned in the past few years that small pistols like the Guardian require a break-in period to smooth things out. Indeed, I need have three malfunctions today. Rounds 1 and 2 failed to eject completely, and round 14 failed to feed. After that I had no malfunctions for the rest of the 70 rounds (one box each of FMJ and JHP ammunition). The Guardian is known to often trap the brass from the final cartridge in a magazine as it ejects. This happened with mine on three of the first ten magazines. I do not count this as a malfunction, as it is a known issue only with the final round of a magazine--not a safety issue, as this pistol does not have a last-round-hold-open feature, and the slide must be racked anyway to chamber the first round of the next magazine.

Accuracy was acceptable for a pistol of this size class. I kept most of my shots on a piece of paper from about 5 yards. This is, by the way, the first time I've been to the range in months, so I am badly out of practice. My first 3 or 4 magazines generated the best accuracy, probably because my hand was starting to hurt and shake after that point. Again I will stress that this is a self-defense pistol and not designed for extended target shooting.

The pistol is simple to field strip, breaking down into the slide, frame/barrel assembly, and spring assembly (which itself consists of a large spring, a small spring, and a guide rod). It cleaned easily using a .32 caliber brush and some Rem Oil.

Fully loaded, this pistol weighs 21 ounces (comparable to my polymer-framed Kahr PM9, fully loaded at 20 ounces). It is, however, noticeably smaller than the PM9, and is even easier than the Kahr to conceal in a pocket holster. I also have the Desantis Rug designed for the Guardian, which makes it look like you're carrying a PDA or something:

gh_rug.jpg

So--overall, I am very pleased. The expected early malfunctions worked themselves out quickly, although I will probably want to put another 50-80 rounds through the pistol soon to verify this. This firearm is not exactly fun to shoot, but it looks great and I really like the size. I think this will be a good pocket backup weapon, and I may also carry it in the summer when even my PM9 tends to be slightly visible through the opening at the top of the pockets in my shorts. It's also small enough that the Desantis Rug for it can actually pass as a PDA case; even the Kahr is large enough that a similar case would look awkwardly large and would be more of a giveaway.

I like the NAA Guardian very much and would be interested to hear about others' experiences with this pistol, especially with the unusual .32 NAA caliber.

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Update

I want to say another word or two about the Desantis Rug. This thing is great. It's actually not all that difficult to draw from with a bit of practice, and it is (at least the one designed for this pistol) small enough to look pretty innocuous.

Also...ever since I sold my Beretta Tomcat, I have missed having a truly small pistol that still feels solid in my hand. The Guardian is just what I've been looking for--similar in size to the Tomcat, but chambered in a much more effective caliber.

Now I need to work on saving money for a set of Crimson Trace grips for this little jewel....

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Update

Took the Guardian to the range again today, this time with Crimson Trace grips installed. The pistol functioned beautifully when clean; the first 6 magazines (42 rounds total) all fed perfectly, and the gun was quite accurate at 7 yards.

I did have two failures to feed on the top rounds of magazines 7 and 8, but the feed ramp was visibly filthy at this point. After a thorough cleaning, feeding is normal again.

Clearly, small pistols like this must be kept clean. But I do believe this to be a reliable gun. I will plan on shorter sessions in the future...4-5 magazines' worth maybe...because my hand hurts! After 20-30 rounds my hand was pretty shaky and that laser dot was wiggling around everywhere for the last few magazines. Definitely not a pistol for extended target shooting!

It was a nice day to be out...just beautiful. Fired a magazine's worth of ammo through my G19 to check alignment of my new rear-sight laser. Also took out my new Pedersoli Derringer Liegi (black powder)--but forgot to bring percussion caps! Duh. Maybe tomorrow.

NAA makes great stuff...anyone want to sell me a Pug?

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Update

After a summer of frequently carrying the Guardian, I'm pleased. It functions well when practicing and draws easily from the pocket; I toyed with the idea of selling it for a while, mostly because I wanted to get some cash to take advantage of a good deal on a Smith 642--but decided against that, as I really do like this pistol. I think that was a good choice.

It's a shame more manufacturers haven't gone for the .32NAA (I guess they could call it ".32/.380" if they want to avoid referencing another brand). I'd like to see an LCP in this caliber, for example. I think it's a brilliant way to fill the niche between .380 and 9mm for those of us who feel like .380 is a bit underpowered, but for whom the "pocket" 9mm pistols are either too expensive or not actually all that pocket-friendly. :)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'm glad that your pocket protector is still serving you well. I will have to take a bit of an exception to the below comment:

I think it's a brilliant way to fill the niche between .380 and 9mm for those of us who feel like .380 is a bit underpowered, but for whom the "pocket" 9mm pistols are either too expensive or not actually all that pocket-friendly

Although NAA marketing hype would have people believe that the .32 NAA has an ballistic advantage over the .380ACP due to it's higher velocity, it lower mass works to erase any would be advantage.

These tests are all from short barrel pistols with real bullets. By the looks of these results, you may be better served by a .38 Special S&W revolver if you want to split the difference between the .380ACP and the 9mm.

shortbarreltests.jpg

BTW: Smith & Wesson has a $50 rebate on most of their J-Frame lineup and many resellers are complimenting this with a sale on S&W J-Frames. I've seen prices as low as $299 with the rebate.

Example: Smith & Wesson Model 642 Revolver: Riverview Sales

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Gglass, thanks for some interesting info. Looks like the muzzle energy is about the same...I wonder if the .32NAA is any more likely to successfully expand when compared to the .380? And, if so, I wonder if that even matters when the bullet is smaller to begin with. I haven't been able to find anything about that. One other non-ballistic advantage would be that the .32NAA might possibly feed more reliably due to its design--but I really don't know as I have not personally had any experience with the same pistol chambered in .380.

For me, I think it came down to the fact that, at the time I purchased the Guardian, I couldn't find .380 anywhere (including online), but could find .32NAA. I guess that shows how bad the .380 shortage was for a while, that a proprietary cartridge, only usable in one production firearm, was easier to find! (I say production firearm, because I know a few Makarov guys have successfully rebarreled those pistols for .32NAA). That should change, though, as .380 gradually reappears.

I suppose the really provocative thing is to wonder whether EITHER of these cartridges is adequate for self-defense. I usually carry a S&W 640 (stainless .357 mag), or a Glock 19. I try to only carry a pocket gun when I really feel I have no choice because my clothing is so light or my activity presents too much of a risk of an IWB firearm being noticed. But the search for the "perfect" pocket gun to fill that need is a tough one. Obviously there are a TON of pocket .380s available these days, and I think each manufacturer has its fans.

I used to carry a Kahr PM9, which I thought for a while was "perfect" due to its combination of a small form factor with a larger caliber. Ultimately, it "felt" big enough in my pocket--and was visible enough to someone glancing at the top of my pocket--that I ended up deciding that it was just a little too big for pocket carry. I wish that someone would design an even smaller 9mm, although this might present controllability issues.

I guess this whole discussion just reinforces to me that any pocket pistol is a significant compromise, and that a larger weapon should be carried when possible.

Jim W.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Brownsburg area
    I'm big fan of the 32"s. I have a Beretta INOX 3032 and Jimeneze JA32. The Jimeneze would be considered a saturday night special, due to the low cost and looks. But it really functions well for a $120.00 gun. I hope you enjoy your pocket gun.
    Jim

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I'm big fan of the 32"s. I have a Beretta INOX 3032 and Jimeneze JA32. The Jimeneze would be considered a saturday night special, due to the low cost and looks. But it really functions well for a $120.00 gun. I hope you enjoy your pocket gun.
    Jim

Although we are talking about .32's and .380's, the OP's .32 NAA is not the same as your .32 ACP's. The .32NAA is actually a .32 bullet in a necked down .380 case. This give the small .32 NAA quite a boost in performance as you can see in the graph below:

short32comparison.jpg

Have fun and be safe!

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Update

As of today, I have fired 258 rounds through the Guardian. It's running smoothly, with no malfunctions today. The past few times I've been out, I have had no malfunctions in the first few magazines, but occasionally have a FTF once the gun is dirty. After 2-3 magazines, the chamber and feed ramp are visibly fouled and the JHP rounds sometimes hang up there. Once cleaned, feeding is fine. (Cleaning the Guardian is a breeze, BTW...about as tough to disassemble as a Glock.)

I'm somewhat fanatical about keeping my guns clean...I thoroughly clean even my G27 after every session. The Glock might not need that kind of attention, but it's a good habit anyway. And my experiences with small pistols generally are that it's even more critical to keep them clean if one plans to carry them.

As often happens with these small guns, the trigger pull has smoothed out nicely. I still think it makes sense to carry my .40 when possible, but for pocket carry, I think the Guardian is hard to beat. It's definitely heavier than a lot of the popular .380s...but I can't imagine shooting the .32NAA in a lighter gun like a Kel-Tec or LCP. I think it would be essentially uncontrollable!

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I ended up selling the Guardian, as I purchased a S&W 442 that more or less replaced it for pocket carry. But I can't say anything bad about the Guardian...a quality pistol, and the .32 NAA is an interesting caliber.

I sold it to an INGO member who already had the smaller .32 ACP version, which really caught my eye. Those are really quite small.

BTW, I still have the Crimson Trace grips, currently for sale in the parts and accessories forum...these would work on both the .380 and .32 NAA versions.

:)

sensationals

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    i like the lifetime warranty on the NAA guns. also i doubt many people carry the guardian with an extra magazine. it's really an in your face sort of weapon used as a last resort.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Great review. Thanks for the thorough range notes and even a quick comparison to the Tomcat that I have been eyeing lately. I had no idea what the .32NAA was either, so that's good to know as well.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Great review. Thanks for the thorough range notes and even a quick comparison to the Tomcat that I have been eyeing lately. I had no idea what the .32NAA was either, so that's good to know as well.
    Thanks! I would be wary of the Tomcat, due to problems many owners have reported of the frames cracking at low round counts (even in the first 50 rounds).

Apparently, Beretta has greater confidence in the Inox version than the regular version, as they have been offering inox replacements for cracked matte black Tomcats. Supposedly, the thicker, heavier slide absorbs more energy, lessening the tendency of the frame to crack. (The frame itself is the same--not stainless--it's just anodized on the Inox Tomcat so that the color matches the stainless barrel and slide.) But it only took a couple of minutes of Google searching for me to find a couple of people who have had cracking with the Inox version as well.

I really still want a Tomcat anyway, because I like their appearance and the tip-up barrel, and I like my Bobcats (.22 LR and .25 ACP) very much. I nearly bought one last week, but decided against it for these reasons:

--Cost. A new inox Tomcat will set you back $450-$500 generally.
    --Frame cracking, as mentioned.
    --Caliber. I know this is a source of ongoing debate, but I prefer .380 to .32 ACP if possible (.32 NAA, of course, is a completely different animal). .32 ACP is also harder to find, there are fewer good ammo choices, and it's vulnerable to the rimlock phenomenon.

I had and sold a matte black Tomcat a few years ago and do miss it, but I sold it when I started to feel that I couldn't trust it due to these issues. I had one rimlock and a handful of FTFs with that pistol, and the frame crack possibility freaked me out.

If I were to buy one, I would only buy it from a dealer who gets stuff from a particular distributor (Davidson's), which offers a lifetime full replacement warranty. That way, if the frame does crack at any point, you can get the whole thing replaced for free. I know a dealer in Frankton who offers reasonable prices and the Davidson's warranty...PM me if you want more info on that. :)

brian1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I've carried a .32 NAA Guardian for several years. I thought the advertising about a faster bullet than .380 made sense and it seemed like it would have more punch than a regular .380. It's been a great gun, and even smaller than the Ruger LCP, although I've never had to use it.

But this month's Rifleman has an article on ballistics that makes the .32 NAA seem not so great. According to the article, the .32 NAA didn't even do as well as a .22 LR. So now I'm reconsidering the .32 NAA & thinking of perhaps a 380 or other larger caliber.

Do others here have opinions or experiences with the .32 NAA or the Rifleman article?

Top Bottom