• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The post, if you carry-carry, brought up this idea. Someone shoots your dog, your furry friend is on YOUR property, do you have cause to do anything back to the SOB? I wouldn't think you can shoot him back, but what exactly could you do? For example: I have an invisible fence all around my property for my large 120lb puppy. He's well trained, taken all the classes. Very friendly, just hates the UPS and FEDex man. The other day a guy from the power line company came over and said my large tree in the front yard needs trimmed cause its in their line. I noticed he had a thing of mace on his belt, I can only assume its for dogs. Mine was in the house. If he had sprayed my dog, which I know Barney wouldn't have hurt him, could I do anything back to this SOB?

I am very unaware what the law says about this. If anyone shot my dog, my first thought is beat the F-er down. So, what can you do?

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Call the police? :dunno:

There would be a lot of things that I'd want to do, but the cops would be coming for me if I acted on my thoughts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The post, if you carry-carry, brought up this idea. Someone shoots your dog, your furry friend is on YOUR property, do you have cause to do anything back to the SOB? I wouldn't think you can shoot him back, but what exactly could you do? For example: I have an invisible fence all around my property for my large 120lb puppy. He's well trained, taken all the classes. Very friendly, just hates the UPS and FEDex man. The other day a guy from the power line company came over and said my large tree in the front yard needs trimmed cause its in their line. I noticed he had a thing of mace on his belt, I can only assume its for dogs. Mine was in the house. If he had sprayed my dog, which I know Barney wouldn't have hurt him, could I do anything back to this SOB?

I am very unaware what the law says about this. If anyone shot my dog, my first thought is beat the F-er down. So, what can you do?

How do you know Barney wouldn't hurt him? How does he know Barney wouldn't hurt him? While the fence is invisible, how does anyone know there is a fence there? If your "120 lb puppy" is charging me, albeit just to lick my face, how am I supposed to know that he is harmless? How close am I supposed to allow a charging dog to get to me before I protect myself?

I would be the first to agree that someone should be fined or jailed for harming a dog without provocation, but why can't dogs be enclosed in fences that allow the public to feel some sense of security? But, to answer your OP, just call he police, because although someone may heave been mistaken when they harmed your dog, any reasonable person would not misinterpret your reaction, which could result in your injury or death, as well.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    The 3 S's.......

You hurt my dog (like a child to me) you will get hurt, maybe not right then and there but I will make your life hell. I am a mean vindictive jerk, I will find your home, your place of work I will distribute pictures of what you did to a poor defenseless animal, I will involve the local media, I will find you on every networking site you belong to and I will release your information to every nutjob animal activist I can find.

If you kill my dog, well let's just say I can not describe the misfortunes that would befall you on a public forum.

My PITBULL (Yes that evil horrible breed) is the most loving dog you will ever meet, as long as you are invited onto my property with me she will lick you to death, you come in uninvited it is a different story. This dog loves going to my parents house to play with my mom's (I can't spell it those stupid little Mexican dogs).

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN

Hey man I love my dog as much as the next guy but if my dog is attacking(licking them to death in my dogs case) someone and they have to use mace on it to get it off of them so be it. If she ever bit anyone i would have her put down before anyone got there. If a person is being attacked by my dog, I am going to shoot my dog because it just went from being a household pet to a dangerous animal in my eyes. As much as I love the knucklehead, i would shoot her in a heartbeat to save another human's life. Normally though her main concern is what toy you have, what can she find to tear up and where she can poop!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How do you know Barney wouldn't hurt him? How does he know Barney wouldn't hurt him? While the fence is invisible, how does anyone know there is a fence there? If your "120 lb puppy" is charging me, albeit just to lick my face, how am I supposed to know that he is harmless? How close am I supposed to allow a charging dog to get to me before I protect myself?

I would be the first to agree that someone should be fined or jailed for harming a dog without provocation, but why can't dogs be enclosed in fences that allow the public to feel some sense of security? But, to answer your OP, just call he police, because although someone may heave been mistaken when they harmed your dog, any reasonable person would not misinterpret your reaction, which could result in your injury or death, as well.

I don't see anything wrong with having an invisible fence. But I'm talking about something happening to my dog on MY property. If something happened to him like that off my property, that's understandable. But NOT on my property.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    you can do a lot of things. most will probably get you arrested. even though i love my stupid little pom-poms (yea, i like pomeranians. so what? wanna fight about it? lolz), they are property in the eyes of the law. i would imagine that if someone killed your dog while on your property (and there was no attack, etc) that you could have him arrested and then sue him in small claims court for the cost of the dog, vet bills, etc.

IANAL, etc

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Legally? Not much. If you tell the truth about what happened.

If the person's house burns down later.... well, tragedies do happen. Don't leave any evidence behind.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey man I love my dog as much as the next guy but if my dog is attacking(licking them to death in my dogs case) someone and they have to use mace on it to get it off of them so be it. If she ever bit anyone i would have her put down before anyone got there. If a person is being attacked by my dog, I am going to shoot my dog because it just went from being a household pet to a dangerous animal in my eyes. As much as I love the knucklehead, i would shoot her in a heartbeat to save another human's life. Normally though her main concern is what toy you have, what can she find to tear up and where she can poop!

There ya go. There's your answer. Dogs are great (cats on the other hand...), but they are not people. The scummiest person on earth is of higher value than the greatest dog. Does that mean we should mistreat animals? Absolutely not! But in any human versus animal situation, human wins.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Most places require that YOU have your dog under your direct control at all times .If someone enters your posted property and damages your dog you have the right to take them to court to recover any cost spent at the vet. Thats about all.

nobody_special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    South Bend
    I don't think they would have reason to pull it out and use it,unless the dog became aggressive..If it's only the dog repellant,might make the dog yelp,you rinse it out and life goes on.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    The 3 S's.......

You hurt my dog (like a child to me) you will get hurt, maybe not right then and there but I will make your life hell. I am a mean vindictive jerk, I will find your home, your place of work I will distribute pictures of what you did to a poor defenseless animal, I will involve the local media, I will find you on every networking site you belong to and I will release your information to every nutjob animal activist I can find.

If you kill my dog, well let's just say I can not describe the misfortunes that would befall you on a public forum.

My PITBULL (Yes that evil horrible breed) is the most loving dog you will ever meet, as long as you are invited onto my property with me she will lick you to death, you come in uninvited it is a different story. This dog loves going to my parents house to play with my mom's (I can't spell it those stupid little Mexican dogs).

Exactly...though I don't rank my heeler up there with my son, she's close behind...she got me through a VERY difficult time of my life and I owe her for that....someone hurts either one of them (my son or my dog) they WILL be sorry....just my :twocents:

And I for one love the bully breeds....all of them and I meet a LOT of them that are amazing dogs.....the "bad" one's are not born like that, they are raised/trained to be like that...

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Ok...What if some piece of human excrement just walked up and shot your dog on your property? I don't know if you guys remember that story of the Navy SEAL who watched his dog get executed on his property by some asshats that were bored and just felt like shooting a dog...He pursued them in his vehicle until the cops caught up, guys got arrested...
    Well what if your dog was just sitting there inside a fenced-in yard and you witnessed someone do that? If you were close enough to where it happened, and had a line of sight on the SOB could you legally pull the trigger? The guy would not be on your property, however he is committing a violent felony, is he not? Is shooting this person right after he executes your dog legal?
    Personally, I'm pretty sure he'd be dead and I'd be telling the police he was aiming at me next...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This is something that I want to know too. But the only thing I can think of is this: "It's not what you know. It's what you can prove"

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Ok...What if some piece of human excrement just walked up and shot your dog on your property?

in this case, i think the argument can be made that a forcible felony and/or attack on your property/curtilage occurred in which case the castle doctrine would apply...assuming that your dog was truly not doing anything and these guys pulled out a gun on your property.

at least it would if i was on the jury. ;)

IANAL, etc

Last edited:
    Top Bottom