• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Going to be starting down the road of training my first gun dog in the next few months. Wondering if any of you have done this yourself, and what training materials have you used? Any pointers are appreciated!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    The RTF(retriever training) forum was a good place to read and learn a long time ago. I dont know how it is now.

That is a fun venture you’re about to take on. Good luck.

Lots of bumpers, training rope, heal stick, whistles, tons of patience, just to start.

Lion country supply is a place full of the needs.

I wish I could remember the dvd set I bought and used to learn out of the gate but I can’t.

If you’re working around water this time of year, talk with your vet about some of the dangers in stagnant water. https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/pet-owners/petcare/leptospirosis

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Going to be starting down the road of training my first gun dog in the next few months. Wondering if any of you have done this yourself, and what training materials have you used? Any pointers are appreciated!

Awesome!

What kind of dog?

What kind of hunting do you do?

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    The RTF(retriever training) forum was a good place to read and learn a long time ago. I dont know how it is now.

That is a fun venture you’re about to take on. Good luck.

Lots of bumpers, training rope, heal stick, whistles, tons of patience, just to start.

Lion country supply is a place full of the needs.

I wish I could remember the dvd set I bought and used to learn out of the gate but I can’t.

If you’re working around water this time of year, talk with your vet about some of the dangers in stagnant water. https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/pet-owners/petcare/leptospirosis
    Thank you! I’ll check out lion country.
    We are looking at November at the earliest if the dog we are waiting for actually is bred, so likely won’t be April or May till we start doing a lot of work.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Awesome!

What kind of dog?

What kind of hunting do you do?
    It’ll be a Labrador. Our most recent dog was a lab, and he was the best dog I’ve ever had.

I hunt just about everything I can. The goal is to use the dog for waterfowl. I’ve been wondering if I could use him for rabbit as well.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It’ll be a Labrador. Our most recent dog was a lab, and he was the best dog I’ve ever had.

I hunt just about everything I can. The goal is to use the dog for waterfowl. I’ve been wondering if I could use him for rabbit as well.
    Great dog...excellent water dog!

Opinions may vary and mine is worth what you paid for it, but I don't mix bird and bunny on dogs.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Great dog...excellent water dog!

Opinions may vary and mine is worth what you paid for it, but I don't mix bird and bunny on dogs.
    Well I’m sure you would know better than me. I’m totally new to hunting with a dog. So have you found dogs aren’t able to do both very well?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well I’m sure you would know better than me. I’m totally new to hunting with a dog. So have you found dogs aren’t able to do both very well?

I am far from an expert on waterfowl and hunting in general, so will defer to others.

On upland birds, folks that know more than me have consistently kept bird dogs off rabbits....so I do the same.

From what I know, once a bird dog gets on rabbits it distracts them from birds.

Beagles are good bunny dogs from what I know.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Raised Beagles for about 15-20 years, they will hunt whatever you want them to hunt. Never hunted waterfowl with them. But I’ve never been a waterfowl hunter. Long hair dogs don’t come out well in sticker bushes.

If your hunting upland birds, please let the rest of us know where you find them. Not many places left other than pay spots.

Like others I’m sorry I can’t help with labs and will defer to upland dog fellows.

On further thought, I always took my pups out with a finished dog or dogs. That always sped things along. Good luck.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Raised Beagles for about 15-20 years, they will hunt whatever you want them to hunt. Never hunted waterfowl with them. But I’ve never been a waterfowl hunter. Long hair dogs don’t come out well in sticker bushes.

If your hunting upland birds, please let the rest of us know where you find them. Not many places left other than pay spots.

Like others I’m sorry I can’t help with labs and will defer to upland dog fellows.

On further thought, I always took my pups out with a finished dog or dogs. That always sped things along. Good luck.
    He’ll be a duck dog. The breeder I’m going through in Illinois mostly hunts his labs as upland dogs. His labs will actually go on point.

Sounds like I should just have him stick to feathers.

Would I be hurting anything by just letting him tag along on rabbit hunts? After he’s started hunt training and been gun broke of course. Not really expecting him to flush anything, but allowing him to explore with me. He’s going to be a family dog, so we want him to be able to go as many places as possible.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    He’ll be a duck dog. The breeder I’m going through in Illinois mostly hunts his labs as upland dogs. His labs will actually go on point.

Would I be hurting anything by just letting him tag along on rabbit hunts? After he’s started hunt training and been gun broke of course. Not really expecting him to flush anything, but allowing him to explore with me. He’s going to be a family dog, so we want him to be able to go as many places as possible.
    Can’t say much, I would defer to others with experience with labs. I do know they make great house dogs. FIL’s last two have been labs, both great companions.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne

If he learns to chase rabbits, he will continue to chase rabbits. If he is out with other dogs chasing rabbits he will think it is ok for him, too. For upland birds you will need to train him to hunt close, within shooting range. You really should get the Wolters books and read up a little. Pointing on Labs is a recessive trait. Some will pause and some will actually really point.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Like others here, I'm certainly not an expert on training dogs. However, my dad and grandfather used to have Brittany's and field trialed with them (as well as hunted). Since wild birds have been few and far between since the blizzard of 78, I mostly grew up with beagles chasing bunnies. Been raising beagles now for close to 35 years. I would suggest not taking your Lab rabbit hunting with you. Rabbits can be wide ranging animals when they feel pressured by a dog. Generally when rabbit hunting with beagles, the dogs are allowed to run a little more wild and they kick up the rabbit before giving chase. I've had rabbit chases that lasted nearly an hour and a half and circled back a couple times before being in position to end the chase. You don't want your Lab to do that. I believe it would ruin it for much of anything else.
    Bird dogs tend to have much more obedience training and work closer to the hunter. They should work a field in more of a side to side sweeping pattern. Should be whistle broke to stop and look to you for hand signals when you whistle so you can guide them where you want to go. Labs can be trained to point (beautiful when they do) but that requires making sure to put in time on a whoa post and training them to freeze when they here the whoa command. If you train your pup to point, be strict in making it hold point and not just flush when they want to. It's frustrating when a supposed pointing dog flushes before the hunters can even get into gun range.
    If you basically just want the dog to retrieve do lots of work with feathers and bumpers. Do your research before ever introducing gun shots to your pup. From my experience a gun shy dog will always be gun shy. Having a dog tuck it's tail and want to sit at your feet because it's gun shy will ruin a hunt and is incredibly frustrating. Consider buying a starter pistol to help in this process.

I've never used either but I've heard there's a bird dog trainer somewhere in the Shelbyville area that I'm told has a website you could check into. Likewise down south near the Spring Mill State Park area, I've been told is another bird dog trainer. I'm sure Google could help you locate info for them if you desire.

On another note, I've seen beagles trained to retrieve rabbits after the shot. Had others so fast they would run the rabbit down and catch it before you ever get to see it. If you decide to go down the beagle road, unless you are going to hunt wild hare don't get a dog from a breeder that hunts wild hare. They're fast and get away from you quick.

Good luck with the pup

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Like others here, I'm certainly not an expert on training dogs. However, my dad and grandfather used to have Brittany's and field trialed with them (as well as hunted). Since wild birds have been few and far between since the blizzard of 78, I mostly grew up with beagles chasing bunnies. Been raising beagles now for close to 35 years. I would suggest not taking your Lab rabbit hunting with you. Rabbits can be wide ranging animals when they feel pressured by a dog. Generally when rabbit hunting with beagles, the dogs are allowed to run a little more wild and they kick up the rabbit before giving chase. I've had rabbit chases that lasted nearly an hour and a half and circled back a couple times before being in position to end the chase. You don't want your Lab to do that. I believe it would ruin it for much of anything else.
    Bird dogs tend to have much more obedience training and work closer to the hunter. They should work a field in more of a side to side sweeping pattern. Should be whistle broke to stop and look to you for hand signals when you whistle so you can guide them where you want to go. Labs can be trained to point (beautiful when they do) but that requires making sure to put in time on a whoa post and training them to freeze when they here the whoa command. If you train your pup to point, be strict in making it hold point and not just flush when they want to. It's frustrating when a supposed pointing dog flushes before the hunters can even get into gun range.
    If you basically just want the dog to retrieve do lots of work with feathers and bumpers. Do your research before ever introducing gun shots to your pup. From my experience a gun shy dog will always be gun shy. Having a dog tuck it's tail and want to sit at your feet because it's gun shy will ruin a hunt and is incredibly frustrating. Consider buying a starter pistol to help in this process.

I've never used either but I've heard there's a bird dog trainer somewhere in the Shelbyville area that I'm told has a website you could check into. Likewise down south near the Spring Mill State Park area, I've been told is another bird dog trainer. I'm sure Google could help you locate info for them if you desire.

On another note, I've seen beagles trained to retrieve rabbits after the shot. Had others so fast they would run the rabbit down and catch it before you ever get to see it. If you decide to go down the beagle road, unless you are going to hunt wild hare don't get a dog from a breeder that hunts wild hare. They're fast and get away from you quick.

Good luck with the pup
    My brother had Brittany’s for a short while, beautiful dogs.
    Thank you for the advice, sounds like I should just stick to retrieving. Thats all I really want anyway. We went and met this guy and his dogs over in Peoria last month. All of them good tempered and soft mouthed. The 4 year old was able to play fetch with them.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I had a buddy that hunting beagles for rabbits and another buddy that hunted all birds with labs. My bird buddy would take his labs on rabbits hunts but keep them on heel until we killed a rabbit then would have them fetch it. He claimed it was a great retrieving and holding skill for his dogs.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    My brother had Brittany’s for a short while, beautiful dogs.
    Thank you for the advice, sounds like I should just stick to retrieving. Thats all I really want anyway. We went and met this guy and his dogs over in Peoria last month. All of them good tempered and soft mouthed. The 4 year old was able to play fetch with them.
    Go slow with the intro to gunfire. Blank pistol at a distance with a helper to start, gradually move closer over several weeks and watch for any sign of anxiety. This is one thing that is very hard to correct if you do it wrong to start with. Starts by making noise at feeding time and then gets more intense from there.

Top Bottom