• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    Great responses folks! Thanks! I guess I tend to be more old school, restoring something that has been sporterized or doing basic cleaning is OK. Or if something is so far gone it doesn't matter! I guess I will just leave all the refinished stuff those those who like that sort of thing! :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back when Marlin was still marlin not Remimgton/cerburus. I would get older guns and send them back to get them restored. Hey these were back in the day of the 200 dollar model 39a and 336. They had to be made in the last 50 years and some of the speciality ones were not offered. Sadly the marlin company I grew up with is no longer. Heck buy a 100 dollar lever 336 and spend 200 and it came out nice. Nicer than the ones they were selling at the stores and a little less in price.

I had a cowboy barrel put one a 336 that I bought with a bugle in the barrel, the forearm wood replaced with a matching color and cowboy contour, the reciever/lever reblued, and a few springs redone/replaced. I have 75 in the gun and I think the total marlin restore/cowboy setup was 300. Looked factory new. I still have it. I also created a 39a TDS from a beat up marlin mountie after gettting a replacement barrel at e-gun parts and a forearm and inner and outer mag tubes. I refinished the stock and my daughter loves it.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Really....I just needed a home for this picture I ran across:

a138b37b88258202beb685825ec9fef2718c6916.jpg

With production rates so high, I'm interested to see what is thought of today's weapons in 80 years....

Last edited:

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I have a large collection featuring "milsurps". Some I have worked with, with others I want to maintain the "patina". I can tell you that there are occasions on which some form of intervention is imperative. Example, I purchased a Canadian owned Snider Enfield covered with surface rust inside and out. Now, I don't consider purchasing any weapon unless it fires. Unless you get the rust off you don't really know what type of bore you are dealing with! Rust is also nothing that will improve any gun metal that I know of, and I don't consider rust a proper "patina" due to its' destructive nature. Now, would I rather have purchased a pristine weapon with no rust, a perfect bore, and righteous wood? Certainly, but this one I could afford to own and God willing I will fire it for the first time tomorrow.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom