• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What are everyone's thoughts on restoring an aging pistol? I have two pistols that could be worth restoring but right now, neither is going to be restored. The first is a 1903 Colt made in 1905. It's completely original and has approximately 70% of the original bluing remaining. It shoots well for it's age and is completely functional.

The second pistol is a 1944 Colt 1911 with a Remington Rand slide. From what I can tell, all of the frame parts are correct for a Colt and all of the slide parts are correct for a Remington Rand. The barrel is pretty worn and the exterior finish on the gun is probably less than 5%. There is heavy pitting on the front of the slide and the whole gun has an old, almost wire brushed appearance. I've completely stripped the gun down and gently cleaned the parts, lubed and reassembled them. The original finish is still in good shape under the grips and inside the frame. There are marks on the rear of the frame from where the gun was either used as a hammer or someone used a hammer on the gun.

As for the 1903, I don't think that is a gun that should be restored. As nice as it would be once restored, there is enough of the original finish remaining to give the gun a patina of use and maintenance that is pretty darned good for a gun that's 108 years old.

My initial thoughts on the 1911 were to keep it as is, and I still might, but since this gun has little collector value as a mix-n-match gun, it could be a fun restoration project. I certainly do like the look of the gun currently and will probably have a fresh barrel fitted as well as freshen the springs too. I like the idea of having a good shooter that looks like it's been used for the last 70 years. But there is another part of me that looks at all of the well done restorations and thinks this gun is due for a new life restored.

What does everyone think in regards to the 1911? Is it sacrilege to wash away almost 70 years of use with restoration or is the old girl due for some new duds?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If it is, as described, a mismatched gun that looks like you dug it up out of the ground, I doubt you have any collector value to loose. I would recommend doing what makes you happy, and you could potentially have a really nice WWII era gun that the observer isn't going to recognize as a mismatch without close scrutiny. On the other hand, you can keep it as you found it. At the end of the day, it is yours to do with as you choose--the privilege of having been the one to lay out the cash for it.

Oh, and I definitely recommend leaving the 1903 alone!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Here are some better photos of the 1911. After uploading these photos, I'm leaning back towards keeping it as it is. The gun is rough, and I don't think there is too much of a collectors value to be hurt, but it does carry its scars well.

Colt-1944-M1911-RH-side_zps925bd3c7.jpg

Colt-1944-M1911-LH-side_zps55aa91a2.jpg

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    To echo what others have said, I would leave the 1903 alone. As for the 1911, I like the looks of the current finish wear. Since it is mismatched, I would replace the barrel and any fatigued springs and worn internal parts and just enjoy shooting her.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    To echo what others have said, I would leave the 1903 alone. As for the 1911, I like the looks of the current finish wear. Since it is mismatched, I would replace the barrel and any fatigued springs and worn internal parts and just enjoy shooting her.
    Absolutely agree! That 1911 would make an awesome range gun with the current finish....If that old Colt could talk!

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    As a rule restoring cars and furniture usually increases their value, but doing this to firearms has the opposite effect.

ModernS30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Camby, Indiana
    :rockwoot:I absolutely say leave the finish as is on the 1911. New barrel and the needed operational bits as needed to make it function as good or better than original. A rat rod of a gun if you will. Conserving some of the history and cool factor, while also having a nice shooter.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Check around, someone may need Colt or R/R parts for a resto. Sell the parts and buy a new gun to shoot.

I have plenty of other 1911s to shoot, so this one's a keeper for me. I think I'm going to keep it as is and modify an SA that I have to original WWII specs. That will scratch the itch to have a fresh looking WWII era gun as well as leaving this one as it is.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You can pick up a Colt slide and then have the gun refinished so everything matches. 1911 parts are available if you look around. I would probably leave the 1903 as is. But they are your guns so do what makes you happy. :twocents:

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie

I would have to agree with what seems like everyone else is saying. I think a 1911 with a little wear looks awesome. For shooting purposes you could replace the springs and any other internal parts for shooting purposes, but you could also just keep the parts you swap out if you still want it to be all original... just my :twocents:

awesome guns by the way

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    have you considered trying to find a colt slide? Theres probably somebody out there with a mismatched RR....

I'm the winning bidder on a correct slide right now. It's a 1944 production Colt slide that looks to be in about the same condition as the frame I have. The slide I have is a little worse than the frame is, so this would make a good match.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You can pick up a Colt slide and then have the gun refinished so everything matches. 1911 parts are available if you look around. I would probably leave the 1903 as is. But they are your guns so do what makes you happy. :twocents:

The 1903 is not going to be refinished. I mentioned it mainly as an example of a good original condition gun vs. a very rough original gun. I'd love to find a 1903 to refinish some day, but will not do one that's still in great original shape.

One thing I'm considering for the 1911 is to leave it as is, but maybe with the Colt slide replacing the Remington slide. Then, I am thinking I might restore the Remington slide but on my Springfield Mil-Spec frame. That would give me a good WWII era look-alike shooter while preserving the patina of the Colt. We'll see what the Colt slide looks like if I end up winning that auction though.

Top Bottom