• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Why perpetuate such nonsense by posting it on an Internt forum? Indiana Code is available for all to read online. If it's there, you must do so. If there is no codified language, you have no such responsibility.

In short summary....no, you have no such responsibility. Nor does anyone want your help. You need a better understanding of your rights and responsibilities before you consider carrying a firearm.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I may be wrong, but I think I saw some movie over years past where there was a bank robbery in process, and everyone was on the floor. An undercover officer pulls a gun from an ankle holster or something and starts giving orders to another male stranger. The male stranger starts whining that the undercover was going to get them all killed. The undercover tells him by law that he is to assist him. Yada yada.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Why perpetuate such nonsense by posting it on an Internt forum? Indiana Code is available for all to read online. If it's there, you must do so. If there is no codified language, you have no such responsibility.

In short summary....no, you have no such responsibility. Nor does anyone want your help. You need a better understanding of your rights and responsibilities before you consider carrying a firearm.

I understand that and did before I started carrying a firearm. I also understand my rights as someone who carries a gun so don't get your panties in a twist. The reason I was asking on an internet forum was to see if anyone else had heard of this before. Apparently know we know there is an IC that could be misconstrude as this that some,if not most of us had not heard of until today. So to those that provided that IC and are engaging in a discussion about it, I thank you. Also, since I do enjoy OCing, now I know that I could be charged with a Class B misdemeanor if I was ordered to assist an LEO and refused.

Last edited:

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have helped two officers on two different occasions. They were wrestling with someone and struggling to maintain control. Yes, I would help a LEO if I seen them in need. When did we stop caring for our fellow man in our society?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I may be wrong, but I think I saw some movie over years past where there was a bank robbery in process, and everyone was on the floor. An undercover officer pulls a gun from an ankle holster or something and starts giving orders to another male stranger. The male stranger starts whining that the undercover was going to get them all killed. The undercover tells him by law that he is to assist him. Yada yada.

Point Break staring Keanue Reeves and the late Patrick Swayze and the great Gary Busey with a bit-part appearance from Anthony Kaidis (from the Redhot Chillipeppers) as a drug maker/dealer.:laugh:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    While working armed, uniformed security, my partner and I stopped in an all night diner in South Bend after work. The typical after bar/stripper/street walker crowd was their when two 'ladies' started going at it (fighting, not the other :D)
    After a few minutes, a single SB PD cop showed up. He immediately ask us to assist him. We both did. (the crowd was placing bets on the fight and wasn't to keen on the officer breaking up the fight).:):

If I were driving alone (without my son) and saw an officer fighting for his life, I would be hard pressed NOT to intervene.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The one I will always remember was attempting to get a meth head under control on the side of I-74 at 0300 hrs. Felony burg warrants, stolen truck ect. This guy was wired and a big boy. Tazer didn't connect, lost it and then it got kicked into the road. I was honestly getting ready to go to the gun. I heard tires locking up and next thing I had some truck drivers all around me with tire irons. They wore that boy out needless to say and even cuffed him up for me. I will admit I was out of juice and didn't have much left. It made me rethink a whole lot of things. I am forever grateful to those truck drivers.

Out where I work it is usually me and whomever I am dealing with. No such thing as backup out here...at least not very soon.

I'm close to the area that you work in. I'll be happy to be your backup. :yesway:

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    This is new territory case law wise. As Bill B said, the only thing out there citing that statute is about a hooker fingering herself and then tipping off her driver not to come back after police told her not to tell him. So, don't do that I guess.:dunno:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Regardless of what the code says, my disdain is not towards the officers as human beings but towards the procedures they sometimes employ against law abiding citizens. That said, I would assist an officer that was down if I could. I'm more interested In re-establishing mutual respect between the citizenry and law enforcement than I am in holding grudges and perpetuating our differences.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...Also, since I do enjoy OCing, now I know that I could be charged with a Class C misdemeanor if I was ordered to assist an LEO and refused.

Class B misdemeanor, just for clarification.

If the LEO is in a gunfight and close enough to call out to you, or you to them, you're already IN that gunfight. You just, perhaps, haven't been directly shot at, or hit. YET.

Perhaps a 'shock' :eek: to some, but bad guys aren't always 'all that picky' about WHO they're shooting AT. "Hey, I'll shoot that guy over the there (or 'better', pick a 'soccer mom' or her kid), then the damn cop will break off the gunfight to go try and save that stupid civilian's life. That's what the stupid civvies get for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, f***in' sheep."

I guess ya could go ahead and let the scumbag get ya lined up in his sights FIRST, THEN try and pull that gun on your side. :draw:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Class B misdemeanor, just for clarification.

If the LEO is in a gunfight and close enough to call out to you, or you to them, you're already IN that gunfight. You just, perhaps, haven't been directly shot at, or hit. YET.

Perhaps a 'shock' :eek: to some, but bad guys aren't always 'all that picky' about WHO they're shooting AT. "Hey, I'll shoot that guy over the there (or 'better', pick a 'soccer mom' or her kid), then the damn cop will break off the gunfight to go try and save that stupid civilian's life. That's what the stupid civvies get for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, f***in' sheep."

I guess ya could go ahead and let the scumbag get ya lined up in his sights FIRST, THEN try and pull that gun on your side. :draw:

Thanks for the correction. It has been edited in my post.
    And good point about being that close. If I am close enough to see an officer pull a gun on someone, I am going to try to get the hell out of dodge.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    The Supreme Court has decided that an officer is not bond to protect you (I'll find the link if you like) and the responsibility is for you to protect yourself. At my mid fifties now, I've not been harassed by the police any and would help anyone that I reasonably can. That is how I was raised.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If the officer is in trouble and actually needs help, then depending on my situation, I might go help. If I am actually called to help the officer, I have to help.

np241or

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Police officers go thru training for proper thinking under pressure of a gun battle and hopefully many hours of training under many other circumstances and they get ran thru the ringer when there weapon is fired. So cop is expecting someone he doesnt know anything about but sees a gun on him to come over and battle it out with him against a bg. Thats ok. I will physically help and restraine with force, I dont think im shooting unless cop is inevitably going to die and I have a clear safe shot to stop him cold at the vitals.:patriot:

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I would encourage anyone who thinks they would walk away from a LEO in need to examine their conscience. Helping someone in need is the Golden Rule and is a part of every major faith tradition in the world.

As a licensed private detective I have both been in a position to help LEO's as well as had several respond to scenes to help me. Of course there are legal considerations involved, but as long as your actions are consistent with the proverbial "reasonable man," you are on solid legal -- and moral -- ground.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is BS as stated. There is no inherent duty but if specifically ordered then it appears the law makes us.

It's funny though since the court said police have no obligation to protect us, yet the law requires us to help them if asked.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1976377/posts

I agree with others though, I'm going to help the "good guy" in a bad situation if I can. Most of the time the uniform is a pretty good clue who the good guy is.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I would think you could win that one in court. Not to mention if you ended up dead because of police 'order' to join the gunfight, your heirs would be pretty well-off.

Don't count on a big pay day, the size of the pot would probably be dictated by the Indiana Tort Claim Act. And your lawyer would get a chunk too.

It's funny though since the court said police have no obligation to protect us, yet the law requires us to help them if asked.

The duty of the citizen v. that of the "public servant". Odd... The Legislature and Courts need to revisit the whole matter re duty to protect.

Top Bottom