• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nlnyhuise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    SW Indy
    I would just like to say, I love having a place to come and talk guns. I am new to actually owning guns, but was raised around them and taught to shoot. As I have recently purchased my first hand gun I have to say I was a bit nervous. My husband spent 11 years in different branches in the military, and here I am, a girl who has not shot in 10 years. I decided I wanted a 22, because that's what I knew, but my husband wasn't keen on the idea at first. We went shopping, and the gentleman helping me made us both realize that it's my gun, my body, and no one can tell me what is best for me. After leaving the shop I felt more "empowered" to make my own choices and have my own thoughts on guns. So instead of asking my husband question I have, I research the hell out of it, and to my amazement...I TAUGHT HIM SOMETHING!! I have researched the proper way to grip a gun for "self defense" and the better stance to practice with that is more to adapt to self defense. Now am I saying I know everything? Oh hecks no! LOL. I am just saying then when we are finally able to get to the range, I am not going to feel so helpless. I also managed to figure out on my own what was more comfy for me to carry my gun. I guess my point is, be a woman! Research to figure out what you want, change your mind, make you happy, and be comfy ;)

nlnyhuise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    SW Indy
    Sorry about that. Went to go have lunch with the husband and then go finish our last stage to begin waiting on the HGP! (YAY) Alright, so I got the info from this website

Grip | Cornered Cat
    and

Proper Gun Grip

I was always taught the "tea cup" grip when growing up, so this is something that makes sense to me, and I am having to get use to it. I hope this helps :)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    nlnyhuise - Cornered Cat is a great resource - for everyone.

Watch for the Ladies Training III event - IronJaw'sWife (IJW) - is trying to work it out scheduliing this. It is a great event. I'm not sure the status at this point but If you can get there it's well worth it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ah, it isn't really a different grip inasmuch as there isn't any difference in hand placement relative to the firearm. It just focuses on different aspects of the grip that maximize firearm retention during a self defense scenario.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    I'm fairly new with shooting too. And yes, research, asking other gun owners questions, reading, practicing; it all adds up for better preparation in a self defense situation. Plus, it's fun and interesting!
    Massad Ayoob's online pieces have been helpful. A couple of examples, How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob
    Women and guns by Massad Ayoob

Youtube has some great ( and not so good) video reviews of guns. hickok45 is one of my favorites. http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

I picked up a .22 pistol in January, very easy and fun to shoot. Also have a Ruger LCR .38 revolver which has a little more kick but not bad. My main self defense pistol (and favorite) is a Springfield xdm 9mm.

Part of the research fun for me is going to indoor ranges and trying(renting) different guns time to time. Enjoy shooting and learning more!
    That is when you can find the ammo :cool:

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I LOVE the cornered cat website. I actually gave that link to a friend of mine this week. I am taking her to the range for her first time on Monday and I told her to read a few of the articles on there first. I told her I wouldn't let her touch my gun (she doesn't have her own, yet) until she could tell me the 4 rules from memory.

I also did a TON of research before getting my first gun. I started back in Sept and didn't make my purchase until Feb. I think I've been in every gun store on the south side.

Top Bottom