Rescued a kitten from the blizzard .. it needs a home (lafayette area)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We had over 20 at one time with my wife doing rescues. The last two are very old, like 15 (wife died in 1999), then there's Ptraci, who's pretty young and playful, and could use a playmate. Katie is basically blind with cataracts, and has a couple other problems. Muffin just doesn't play. At all. I've never met another cat that wouldn't respond to a laser and I was the first kid on the block with a laser (HeNe). She's like, yeah yeah, nice dot, PET ME.

All kittens are born with blue eyes. There's one breed that can hear regardless, but otherwise, a white cat will be deaf on the side with a blue eye, whether it's blue on both sides or odd eyed, which is not that unusual. I couldn't tell you how old this one is from the picture, but even if (s)he's deaf, there's a safe place here.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We had over 20 at one time with my wife doing rescues. The last two are very old, like 15 (wife died in 1999), then there's Ptraci, who's pretty young and playful, and could use a playmate. Katie is basically blind with cataracts, and has a couple other problems. Muffin just doesn't play. At all. I've never met another cat that wouldn't respond to a laser and I was the first kid on the block with a laser (HeNe). She's like, yeah yeah, nice dot, PET ME.

All kittens are born with blue eyes. There's one breed that can hear regardless, but otherwise, a white cat will be deaf on the side with a blue eye, whether it's blue on both sides or odd eyed, which is not that unusual. I couldn't tell you how old this one is from the picture, but even if (s)he's deaf, there's a safe place here.

I have one just like that. She's mean and nasty to everyone but me. She fights with the other cats when they get near hear. She prefers the company of the dog to other cats. And she is FAR too sophisticated to play with anything. Unless she sees a mouse. Even then she doesn't play with it, she just eats it. And when it comes to the deaf thing I've had my share of white blue eyed cats. Some deaf some not. It really doesn't make that much difference. They do just fine even without the ability to hear. Just don't sneak up on them.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I'm kind of a cat god or whatever. Since I was a child I could charm cats that otherwise hated people. I've even caught feral ones. Muffin just doesn't play. She'll climb up and cuddle on my shoulder in bed, or in front of me, but no toy, no laser, nothing will get any interest from her. If there was a mouse, I would figure her to say "hey look dad, a mouse, PET ME". She's just weird that way. Ptraci would be all over it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, I'm kind of a cat god or whatever. Since I was a child I could charm cats that otherwise hated people. I've even caught feral ones. Muffin just doesn't play. She'll climb up and cuddle on my shoulder in bed, or in front of me, but no toy, no laser, nothing will get any interest from her. If there was a mouse, I would figure her to say "hey look dad, a mouse, PET ME". She's just weird that way. Ptraci would be all over it.

I'm the same way. For over 30 years now I've been saying "all cats like me best" because it's usually true. Cats that hate everybody climb on me and go to sleep purring. Sometimes it annoys people, but that's too bad.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm the same way. For over 30 years now I've been saying "all cats like me best" because it's usually true. Cats that hate everybody climb on me and go to sleep purring. Sometimes it annoys people, but that's too bad.

I don't have that power with cats. They like me well enough but not to that extent. Horses...entirely different picture. I've been training for years and I love it. Nothing like it in the world :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I tell you what, one time when I was a kid we went to visit some friends of the rents. I found out they had a cat and made some cat noises; she actually came and jumped up on my lap. They were totally mind blown. She hated everyone with no mercy. Even them. Not so much me. Cat god power, activate! Cats know who are their friends. They just do.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I tell you what, one time when I was a kid we went to visit some friends of the rents. I found out they had a cat and made some cat noises; she actually came and jumped up on my lap. They were totally mind blown. She hated everyone with no mercy. Even them. Not so much me. Cat god power, activate! Cats know who are their friends. They just do.

My cats also know who DOESN'T like cats. Those are the people they like to go to! :D

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Ok so the kitten survived the night and was sitting on a box staring at me when I got to the office. One of the salesmen here is willing to take it home and let it be a barn cat but his exact words were, "I will be well loved (ie kids) yet completely hated (ie wife) at the same time". So the little guy is going to go home with the salesman unless someone here claims her ... so someone accidentally show a pic to your wife and kids already dang it.

Now for the pictures.

This is the mother cat that was dumped here at the store last month just before thanksgiving.

photo12_zps0e0a3be5.jpg

And this is the litter of kittens. The calico and the white one with gray patches were claimed by a friend of mine:

photo11_zps0a2dedd0.jpg

This is the little guy as of this morning:

photo9_zps6af08cec.jpg

photo8_zpsfd992955.jpg

photo7_zps1629606e.jpg

He/she eats like a pig:

photo10_zps1b868d88.jpg

BTW, the little guy clearly isn't deaf. He/she responds to all kinds of sounds.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Update: While I was typing my last response the little girl basically jumped up in my lap. We have gone from hiding behind the bookcase to hiding under the desk to purring like a kitten in my lap ... now the darn thing wont leave me alone. She (I'm pretty sure after she mooned me) now loves having her ears scratched.

photo13_zps1d1b1003.jpg

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    we already have two cats, but if you were't two hours from us we would probably have three. Cute little guy

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    I'll meet you wherever is convenient for you, today is good. Don't let MrE fool you- he already has names picked out!! We are looking forward to bringing her/him home!

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'll meet you wherever is convenient for you, today is good. Don't let MrE fool you- he already has names picked out!! We are looking forward to bringing her/him home!

She is ready to come home with you ... she is driving me bonkers ... give her a full belly and scratch her behind the ears and now she is an attention hound.

photo14_zpsfc569d57.jpg

Thankfully she has worn herself out:

photo15_zpsb46f431b.jpg

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Delivery was a success :delivery:... and I felt it went much smoother than the alternative my co-workers suggested ... "USPS if it fits it ships". Mrs E and her son (who was exceptionally excited) were both very very nice and I know the little girl found a good home. :):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom