• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Daughter involved a car wreck and totaled the car. Some kid crossed two lanes and ran into her. She has a broken nose and some stitches but is otherwise unhurt. So she in need of a new used car and looking for some recommendations.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    From past experience I would HIGHLY recommend staying away from Blossom and Ray Skillman (they made my list on July of this year), also stay away from Hubler.

Dellen near Greenfield was great to work with, the guy I bought my 04 Pontiac off of became Greenfield's mayor.
    Also bought a car from Eastgate Chrysler, they were good to work with.
    2 of my BMW's came from Coast to Coast, they are great to work with as well.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have only purchased used cars from two places - Enterprise Car Sales and Penske Chevrolet. I would highly recommend either one, with an edge to Enterprise if you detest the used-car-salesman dickering process as I do. The price you see is the price you pay. The inventory is all ex-rental fleet vehicles that undergo a thorough inspection and rehab process prior to sale. I bought a Chevy Corsica from them when I was in college, and replaced that with a Chevy Impala from them in the early-2000s. When I was looking to buy my current vehicle, Enterprise didn't have anything I wanted in my price range, so I looked to CarMax. Found one I liked, but kept looking around. Penske (just down the street from CarMax on the north side of Indy) had same make/model but a couple years newer for less money, so I popped on it. Buying experience went about as smoothly as could be expected, and I've been very happy with the car. They also handled the repairs when that car was involved in an accident a couple years ago, and did a top-notch job.

In contrast, my wife has bought used vehicles from other sources, and has had issues with every one of them.

FWIW.

Indianapolis Used Cars for Sale, Used Car Dealers - Enterprise Car Sales

Indianapolis Chevrolet Dealer | Penske Chevrolet| A Carmel, Noblesville & Fishers Chevy Dealer

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Never had an issue with Ray Skillman Ford in Greenwood. Always been able to work out a great deal there. Both of my current vehicles have come from their lot and I couldn't be happier.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Never had an issue with Ray Skillman Ford in Greenwood. Always been able to work out a great deal there. Both of my current vehicles have come from their lot and I couldn't be happier.

We bought an '06 BMW X5 there this past summer. EDIT: This was at Ray Skillman Mazda on the east side. (maybe they are better at the other locations)

Great car, but a couple of things wrong with it and since they had just taken it in that day and would not come down on the price (was a good asking price), we told them the only way we would buy it is to fix the couple small issues.

One was the rear bumper had a huge spot the paint was missing. The bumper had no other signs of damage other then missing the paint, the 2 angel eye bulbs in the front headlights were out, and it was missing the rear cargo cover.

They agreed to fix all of these problems and we agreed to buy the suv. 2 days shy of 3 months they finally got a cargo cover they ordered on ebay.

We had called once every 2 weeks to see what the progress was on getting a cargo cover. We heard the excuses "we ordered it, can only order on ebay during business hours, shipping is delayed." Yet when asked to provide proof they had ordered it, the managers nor the sales guy could provide a receipt either on their computer or email nor could they say who they ordered it from. Finally almost 3 months later they magically had one.

I also had to prove to the manager that the car had the angel eyes / halo rings. They claimed the suv did not come with them. I had to take them to the car, pop the hood, show them the light bulb that was not working to which they said they are not meant to work. I asked if we could borrow a volt meter from a tech and see if it was getting power. Sure enough it was and they finally agreed to pay for the bulbs.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Sorry to hear about your daughter. Glad she's doing as well as she is.
    I absolutely hate buying a car, and even more so if I am trading one in. I feel as though I need to go home and take a nice long shower after dealing with used car salesmen. :xmad:
    I was actually going to put a car in the classified section. If you have an interest get back with me.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry to hear what happened to your daughter, glad to hear her injuries were minor.

As for vehicles, on the north side I have had pretty good luck with Butler Hyundai. Never dreamed I would buy a Hyundai until I looked at what they came with at a very reasonable price for an auto these days. Salesman was also just the opposite of the norm, very helpful and actually listened to what I wanted instead of just pushing what they had. The car I wanted was one of the hot sellers at the time, and I still got a good deal too. If you decide on Hyundai, send me a PM and I will forward who to speak to.

I did notice you said used cars, but the price of the Hyundai is not much more, and in some instances less than a used car, and their warrantee is best in the business.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I had an Ok experience at Eastgate Chrysler several years ago...

And had an OK experience at the big Skillman dealership on the south side (main Kia / Chevrolet property)

And my wife had an OK experience at Hubler Nissan.

My two cars were used, her car was new.

While the cars I bought turned out to be turds (1997 Chrysler Concorde and a 2004 Olds Alero), the "experience" was OK.

The key in buying a used car from a dealership is to know how much you're willing to pay, period.

Also know that, no matter what, the dealership WILL MAKE MONEY on ever. single. sale. Somehow - they will get you.

Play their little game - or not - but be prepared to walk away. Even if it's a $200 difference.

Remember that IN sales tax is 7%. That's not insignificant when buying something that costs several thousand dollars.

-J-

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd drive to Louisville before I did business with Skillman Ford. They wasted my time twice, and won't get a 3rd chance. The first time was buying a replacement SUV for my wife. They tried to bump us $11k in the F&I office and I walked out. We ended up buying that vehicle at Tom Wood's Best Used Cars on E 96th St. They stand by what they sell and if you discover a problem with it after you drive it off the lot, they don't just stick you with it. We bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee that turned out to have some engine problems. They tried to fix it, couldn't and gave us full credit on it toward a Ford of similar value. They went so far as to buy a Ford from a neighboring lot because they didn't have the one we wanted. I found them easy to work with before and after the sale. If I was in the market for a used car I'd go back to Tom Wood in a heartbeat.

The second time was when I was looking for a new truck. I wanted new, and Tom Wood Ford isn't ran by the same people as their Best Used lot. I stopped in at Skillman and the kid was trying to sell me a truck that didn't exist. Like not only do they not have one in stock but that Ford doesn't make. Capitol Ford on E Washington St was fair and easy to work with, but ultimately I decided to go with a Ram. O'Brien Dodge/Chrysler/Etc. in Greenwood was great to work with. Chris Lett was the salesman. I sent out request for bids from Ram dealers from Indy to Frankfurt, KY, and O'brien was within $250 of the lowest bid and they did a spray in bed liner for me, making them the cheapest. They've also been great to work with before and after the sale. I had a little warranty work to be done (windshield wiper delay switch was defective from the factory) and they took care of it pronto.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Why must you go to a dealer? You're paying them to make a profit, so use autotrader or whatever, take whatever you like for a test drive, and try sticking with a seller that has maintenance receipts.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Op, I don't buy used cars, but we've bought 2 new cars (a Honda and a VW) from Tom Woods. They were good to deal with, prices were right and their after sales services are pretty good, too. They've treated us right both times. They sell all sorts of cars and have a pretty big selection of used vehicles (might even still have my wife's old Rav 4, if they haven't sold it already).

Tom Wood Auto Group | Vehicles for sale in ,

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why must you go to a dealer? You're paying them to make a profit, so use autotrader or whatever, take whatever you like for a test drive, and try sticking with a seller that has maintenance receipts.

Convenience, selection, accountability, safety in both the physical sense and in the fraud/theft sense, all come to mind. For some folks, that's worth the extra cost.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why a dealership? Fair question. My daughter is just starting out (as an adult and on her own), so she needs to establish a credit history. I'll end up co-signing the loan, but this will get her credit history started.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Check out Auto Express in Lafayette. Prices are typical at or below market value, no pressure sales, they leave the keys in the cars for a test drive, and you just have to go inside and get a plate.

Top Bottom