Report: No "Global Warming" for 325 Months...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I hate to rain on the circlejerk parade here, but....

I seriously, seriously doubt that most of the people in here commenting on this VERY complex topic could even understand the most rudimentary mathematics that is required to interpret a lot of the data: calculus.

If you can't understand high school level calculus, I can assure you that you can't understand how to interpret most climate data from the perspective of understanding the projections forecast by climatologists regarding global warming. If you can't ace undergrad level statistics, I can easily make the same assertion.

I can provide PLENTY OF EXAMPLES if you wish to challenge my assertion.

And let me add that understanding the basic mathematics and statistics is only one small part of understanding the whole picture of, let's call it "Anthropogenic Global Warming"

Another major component is that the climate data MUST be collected from many, many different and disparate types of sensory equipment. That is because you can't just look at one location that gets hot vs. one location that gets cold. It's not like a complex organic chemistry problem that can be replicated on a bench. So, you can't just do a benchtop workup to emulate all of the characteristics of, again, and extremely complex phenomenon like "Anthropogenic Global Warming".

If your argument is "well I just don't trust the data points", then there is no conversation to be had with you. Do you doubt the images from the Hubble Space Telescope or the moon landing? Because no one on this thread will ever have the chance visit the Hubble telescope for themselves to verify its function, or the moon surface.

I could explain a FRESHMAN YEAR college level topic like basic organic chemistry, and the vast, vast majority of you could not understand it in its totality. Why? Because MOST people cannot understand it - it's a complex, difficult topic; hence, why it is a classic undergraduate weeder course for entry into advanced study in chemistry and biological sciences. Basic organic chemistry is like child's play in comparison to understanding a complex topic like global warming. Compare that to a difficult, again, UNDERGRADUATE level class like physical chemistry and you are just starting to understand how complex a topic like global warming is. In fact, I seriously doubt the majority of people in here even know what P. Chem even is.

The basics of the topic of global warming are easy to grasp. But really understanding the full scope of the problem is far, far from easy. An easy comparison is something like mastering chess or, better yet, the chinese game "Go".

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I seriously, seriously doubt that most of the people in here commenting on this VERY complex topic could even understand the most rudimentary mathematics that is required to interpret a lot of the data: calculus.

If you can't understand high school level calculus, I can assure you that you can't understand how to interpret most climate data from the perspective of understanding the projections forecast by climatologists regarding global warming. If you can't ace undergrad level statistics, I can easily make the same assertion.

Your condescension and assumptions about the academic deficiencies of the participants in this topic is amusing.

But then what do I know? I probably don't understand "high school level calculus" and I probably didn't "ace undergrad level statistics." Mr. Evilwrench's complete lack of mathematics education and any measurable level of comprehension is legendary, so I must assume you refer to him as well. JeremiahJohnson seems pretty dumb too. We should probably make sure everyone knows that none of us understands anything about scientific inquiry while we're at it. That's a biggie.

Thank you, sir! Thank you for the wake-up call that we so obviously needed.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must apply a soothing cream to my knuckles where they've been dragging on the floor and some moisture to my mouth to address the consequences of my mouth-breathing. After which, I shall wallow in my ignorance and endeavor to restrict myself to conversations that do not so grossly overrun my limited intellectual capacity.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ...........If your argument is "well I just don't trust the data points", then there is no conversation to be had with you.

They lied and manipulated the data (sorry, strategically non transparent)........ the premise is flawed from the start.
    If you don't understand that basic fact then there is no conversation to be had with you.

I seriously, seriously doubt that most of the people in here commenting on this VERY complex topic could even understand the most rudimentary mathematics that is required to interpret a lot of the data: calculus......

I'm glad to have such a smart and gracious person here to tell us what to do. It's truly a thrill up my leg.
    I'm packing wood just from the notion that you would devote time to us.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Already at 15 responses and we have yet to be lectured on our intellectual inadequacy and inability to interpret scientific data.

I'm SHOCKED!

So this topic has been going way too long for us escape being lectured about our respective intellectual deficiencies. What's the deal?

And we have the winner in response #161. So, is this a new treat for us, or one of the usual suspects with a freshly minted, new userid?

I can provide PLENTY OF EXAMPLES if you wish to challenge my assertion.

And let me add that understanding the basic mathematics and statistics is only one small part of understanding the whole picture of, let's call it "Anthropogenic Global Warming"

Another major component is that the climate data MUST be collected from many, many different and disparate types of sensory equipment. That is because you can't just look at one location that gets hot vs. one location that gets cold. It's not like a complex organic chemistry problem that can be replicated on a bench. So, you can't just do a benchtop workup to emulate all of the characteristics of, again, and extremely complex phenomenon like "Anthropogenic Global Warming".

If your argument is "well I just don't trust the data points", then there is no conversation to be had with you. Do you doubt the images from the Hubble Space Telescope or the moon landing? Because no one on this thread will ever have the chance visit the Hubble telescope for themselves to verify its function, or the moon surface.

I could explain a FRESHMAN YEAR college level topic like basic organic chemistry, and the vast, vast majority of you could not understand it in its totality. Why? Because MOST people cannot understand it - it's a complex, difficult topic; hence, why it is a classic undergraduate weeder course for entry into advanced study in chemistry and biological sciences. Basic organic chemistry is like child's play in comparison to understanding a complex topic like global warming. Compare that to a difficult, again, UNDERGRADUATE level class like physical chemistry and you are just starting to understand how complex a topic like global warming is. In fact, I seriously doubt the majority of people in here even know what P. Chem even is.

The basics of the topic of global warming are easy to grasp. But really understanding the full scope of the problem is far, far from easy. An easy comparison is something like mastering chess or, better yet, the chinese game "Go".

Last edited:

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just for the heck of it, I found an article, for anyone who wants to take a crack at it - go ahead:

Statistical assessment of changes in climate extremes over Greece (1955–2002)

Statistical assessment of changes in climate extremes over Greece (1955?2002) - Kioutsioukis - 2009 - International Journal of Climatology - Wiley Online Library

Give it a read, then provide a summary of each section, in simple, clear english, AND provide at least 3 examples of long form calculations of the stats which they cited; that is, show your work.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    They lied and manipulated the data (sorry, strategically non transparent)........ the premise is flawed from the start.
    If you don't understand that basic fact then there is no conversation to be had with you.

I'm glad to have such a smart and gracious person here to tell us what to do. It's truly a thrill up my leg.
    I'm packing wood just from the notion that you would devote time to us.

I want to make sure you can understand the topic first.

How about a simple challenge of basic algebra? That is, 9th grade Algebra I.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    And we have the winner in response #161. So, is this a new treat for us, or one of the usual suspects with a freshly minted, new userid?

I've had this account for something like 7 years.

I don't come in the politics threads too often, though, because of exact the kind of circlejerking that I'm seeing in here.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    We can just start with algebra and move on up in complexity.

I can provide some questions about biology or chemistry as well, since one would need to have a strong background in those topics, too, to understand global warming.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Let me get this straight. You come in here to lecture all of us about out lack of knowledge of calculus and climate science and you can't do the math to determine that you have been on this board for less than 6 years?

HIS FACTS DON'T LIE!
    Clearly you don't understand the complex math used to arrive at the 7 yr. figure.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Let me get this straight. You come in here to lecture all of us about out lack of knowledge of calculus and climate science and you can't do the math to determine that you have been on this board for less than 6 years?

You may want to work on your reading comprehension.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am shocked and appalled that you ignorant savages have the temerity to address a highly educated, erudite individual with such a complete lack of respect! You must either jump through his hoops to prove yourself worthy of expressing an opinion or submit via a class canine supine posture. There are no other options!

I don't even know you people anymore!

rhino out!

PS Even pachyderms know that if x .LT. 6, then x .NE. 7.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You may want to work on your reading comprehension.

If you had said "something like 6 years", that would be perfectly understandable as an estimate since it has been 5 2/3 years. Even if you had done a simple subtraction of 2014-2009 and came up with 5 years, that would be understandable. Either way, you simple lack of ability to do subtraction is embarrassing.

PS Even pachyderms know that if x .LT. 6, then x .NE. 7.

You have an unfair advantage. Your horns and tail allow you to count three higher than most of us.

Top Bottom