• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Unless any of my fellow INGOers know how to make my Stoeger M2000 function reliably (no more "benelli click"!), I need some advice/suggestions. I'm going to start looking for a replacement in the same category (ie. Semi-auto 12 gauge, reasonably priced sub$800 area). I've read countless reviews on the Mossberg 930's, Remi 11-87 variations, Beretta A300 Outlanders, etc, but they all seem to have mixed reviews concerning the same things (reliability with lighter loads mostly).

I mainly want to use the replacement for Duck and Goose hunting, clays with buddies, occasional rabbits, and minimal upland use. I guess my question is does anybody have any opinions/suggestions regarding the options in this category?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not a bird hunter, or much one for shotguns in general.
    That said, I have a Weatherby SA-08 semi-auto 12ga that has an adjustable gas system, and I believe they are just under the $800 mark.

It's too purtty for me to take out in the woods.
    BTW- I didn't buy mine. It was a gift.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    To avoid problems I just run old 1100's ;)

Magnum model, I can run 3" lead for turkey, or 3" #2 bismuth for geese, and if wanting clays or small game, swap in a 2 3/4" bbl.
    Due to the heavier action sleeve (magnums) it might not run super wussy skeet loads, but for low brass stuff.............like Superhandicap trap loads, I don't even put on a 2 3/4" bbl, run it with the 3" (single gas port). It was king of the dove fields until they mandated steel shot.

I haven't tried dove steel in the 2 3/4" bbl, but have in the 3" and it won't run 'em.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    How many rounds have you run through it? I have one for my son and several of the group that hunts waterfowl with me has them. They do not like light loads. It talks a few hundred rounds to break them in. The usual culprit is that the action does not fully close when the gun is fired or when the first shell is loaded. The action must close rapidly. It can also be helped by knowing where to use a stone to insure that the bolt rotates smoothly into place.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I got it as a gift and it was used so I can't be too sure of total round count but I personally have run over 200 rounds through it with probably half of those being 3" goose loads.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have a Benelli M1 super 90 I bought used for around 800.00. Works real well with heavy loads but light loads it doesn't like at all. I would stay away from this series of gun if you want maximum versatility but if you feed it high brass loads it runs like a champ.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have a Remington 11-87, and I have had great luck.

This is my only shotgun, so it has to be versatile. I duck and goose hunt with it. I shoot trap with it. I have pheasant hunted with it. I have run everything through it from 3" goose loads, to 3" pheasant loads, to light 2 3/4" bulk pack target loads for busting clays, to heavy 3" turkey loads. I do not know of a round count, but I have never had an issue with it. Nothing fancy, but has always goes bang.

I ran probably 25 rounds of a combination of 3" Black Clouds and 3" Federals this weekend duck and goose hunting in NW Illinois in single digit temperatures and snow - no issues.

Just wish it came with a guarantee of killing birds... Realizing that blowing through a bunch of shells is not a direct correlation to a bunch of birds on the ground...haha.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Illini, is your 11-87 a premier or sportsman? I've heard the older model was far superior to the new ones?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My Stoeger 2000 functions well . . . as long as I remember whether or not to push that little level that allows it to reload. I can never remember whether it needs to be down or pushed up.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Well I might have to ignore the things Ive heard about the Sportsman then! I contacted Stoeger today and to my surprise, they are sending me a drive spring free of charge. Also, if the new spring doesnt remedy the problem, they told me to send it in and they would cover it under warranty even though I am not the original owner. So hopefully I won't have to shell out the $700 for a new 11-87 but only time will tell at this point.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well I might have to ignore the things Ive heard about the Sportsman then! I contacted Stoeger today and to my surprise, they are sending me a drive spring free of charge. Also, if the new spring doesnt remedy the problem, they told me to send it in and they would cover it under warranty even though I am not the original owner. So hopefully I won't have to shell out the $700 for a new 11-87 but only time will tell at this point.
    I didn't know Stoeger stood by their pre-owned stuff. Good to know. Every once in awhile, I run across yet another company like that. Good stuff.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    First time I picked up a 2000 I broke it in less than 37 seconds and no shots were fired, it was at a gun show and they had just come out. They fixed that little problem pretty quickly but a used M1 is in essence the same gun and better made. Rhino bought his in attempt to be cheap. Don't be Rhino!

When a thread like this ends without another gun being purchased, we all lose! Plus it is boring.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First time I picked up a 2000 I broke it in less than 37 seconds and no shots were fired, it was at a gun show and they had just come out. They fixed that little problem pretty quickly but a used M1 is in essence the same gun and better made. Rhino bought his in attempt to be cheap. Don't be Rhino!

When a thread like this ends without another gun being purchased, we all lose! Plus it is boring.

It's true. I did. Haven't broken it yet, though!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Stoeger didn't have to warranty a used gun, but they IMHO kind of had to......as their autos have been very problematic.
    Seen quite a few go back over the last few years.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Stoeger didn't have to warranty a used gun, but they IMHO kind of had to......as their autos have been very problematic.
    Seen quite a few go back over the last few years.

That's what Ive noticed too. Zoub, I'm not saying I am abandoning the idea of a replacement gun (I always need an excuse for another gun!). I just decided I might as well jump through the hoops that Stoeger's customer service want and see if, by some miracle, I end up with a functioning shotgun....For now anyway. I don't see a problem with having 4 shotguns, or 5, or 6....lol

At least this way I have more time to hound you guys for ideas regarding a new purchase.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have one also that I acquired a couple of years ago in a trade from another member. From what I have read some had problems and some did not. I have shot trap with mine and deer slugs, and so far it runs fine. It is good to know that if I do have problems they will fix it. I really like to shotgun.

Dave

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I haven't put a lot of rounds through mine (maybe a few thousand). It didn't cycle at first, but after my buddy G took it apart and polished a few things, it runs well except with wimpy target ammo.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, we managed to keep the secret for over 2 months! Matt unwrapped his new 11-87 Sportsman Super Magnum this morning, and I think he likes it! (Hasn't put it down in hours...LOL!!)

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Very funny, but I liked the part 15 seconds later when Sarge unwrapped his matching 11-87! We both knew about the other person's gift but not our own. Touché mom, (With some help from JetGirl), she pulled off a pretty awesome surprise for both of us.

Top Bottom