• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's odd, I believe you but down here in Scott County the Sheriff's Dept told me that there is nothing they can do if I do shoot the dog.

I learned that first hand. I had the neighbors call the law on me for shooting their dog and I wasn't even at home. I was at work that day and the dog actually got hit by the garbage truck. They swore up and down that I shot it and the LEO called me at work while I was on lunch. I chuckled and told him I was a decent shot but to hit a dog at over 50miles, nah it wasn't me. He said it didn't matter anyway because the State has leash laws and the dog obviously wasn't on one so he couldn't do anything if I did shoot it. I can't recall how many times I have called the Sheriff's Dept to have them send out the dog catcher and he never shows and when I call back they just tell me if it is being aggressive or destroying property to just shoot it. Most of the time I have the wife ask around since she works at the local general store and if no one claims the stray I'll warn it with some light dove load, but if it comes back it is toast.

Cats on the other hand don't get the warning shot!:D

I've asked various LEO's that have come out for dogs before and none of them would really give me a straight answer if there was an ordinance or not. Pretty much all of them told me that I have to be in actual danger by a nuisance dog or I could get in trouble. Okay, that is he said she said.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing the LEO's who responded to the call. Seriously, what can they do besides go door to door and ask questions. Without a witness or an admission, what can they prove? If it were an actual gunshot, they could do a more thorough investigation by looking at the trajectory. The arrow was aiming downward a little but that can depend on distance and force behind the arrow.

The frustration that I'm venting towards LEO's is that whenever you need one right there when you are being wronged, they are never there but the first time you step on your richard, they are right there to see it. I guess that's just Murphy's Law.:D

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Don't get too bummed out by the bad luck you've had with crappy neighbors. Hopefully decent humans will move in or the lot will just remain empty. I'd love to live out in the country as well... I think about moving from our small city house to a house out in Brown County. But I am a pretty social person... I really like the company of other people... just a select few of people.

The majority of my neighbors are great people. I had one run with my neighbor before we moved in to our house. Nothing sense then and I don't expect to have any future problems with him. We have a lot of good kids in the neighborhood. We've never had any break ins or damage done to our property (except massive amounts of cigarette butts from the next door neighbors. I occasionally sweep them up and dump them in their driveway as a reminder not to flick your butts at my house.

We do have two houses right next to each other one street over that causes me concern. One is "Little Mexico" house with about 10 guys living there. Cars always driving by, stopping for 10 minutes and then leaving. I think they sell drugs there. I sound like an old man. The house across the street from it... have interesting people. They painted their lovely brick home over with yellow paint. About half a coat, I expect. They have all kinds of garbage in the front yard. I think it might be a constant yard sale but maybe not. I mind my own business and they mind theirs and that is good enough for me.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I've asked various LEO's that have come out for dogs before and none of them would really give me a straight answer if there was an ordinance or not. Pretty much all of them told me that I have to be in actual danger by a nuisance dog or I could get in trouble. Okay, that is he said she said.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing the LEO's who responded to the call. Seriously, what can they do besides go door to door and ask questions. Without a witness or an admission, what can they prove? If it were an actual gunshot, they could do a more thorough investigation by looking at the trajectory. The arrow was aiming downward a little but that can depend on distance and force behind the arrow.

The frustration that I'm venting towards LEO's is that whenever you need one right there when you are being wronged, they are never there but the first time you step on your richard, they are right there to see it. I guess that's just Murphy's Law.:D

I understand what you mean.;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

on July 1, a new law went into effect.. state. , you can not kill omeones cat or dog, except for certain situations..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I found it, Evidently now if you kill a stray it constitutes "Killing a Domestic Animal".

Indiana Code 35-46-3

IC 35-46-3-12

Yep that is it, I was waiting at airport yesterday so I could not look that up...

I am contacting the county prosecutor & the DNR to find out if I can dispatch the 'strays 'that come onto my land and kill the pheasants & rabbits on my land..
    Last year the Sherriff told me to just shoot them on sight..

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Yep that is it, I was waiting at airport yesterday so I could not look that up...

I am contacting the county prosecutor & the DNR to find out if I can dispatch the 'strays 'that come onto my land and kill the pheasants & rabbits on my land..
    Last year the Sherriff told me to just shoot them on sight..

I hear you there. The dogs don't bother me that much unless they seem agressive or bother my goats, but the cats are a different story. We had some neighbors here a while back that moved out and abandoned 30 some-odd cats, which have since turned feral and are always in the trash or getting under the house and crapping or tearing up the insulation, but worst of all they are killing my rabbits. They are wild rabbits but the populaton is just starting to get back to a good number around the house and I want to keep it that way. I like to watch them and they are pretty tasty as well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    and, The State is paying for pheasant habitat, so they better have an interest in keeping the pheasants alive..

The propblem is right now, if you catch one and try to hold an "owner" resposible, no one will claim ownership.. but if you shoot it, someone will claim it is their pet....

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You have got to be freaking kidding me...There is nothing they can do?

OK, firing deadly weapons isn't illegal in your area, does the same go for vandalism? Because I am guessing that hole that was put in your siding doesn't increase the value of your home.

The problem in cases like this is that there usually has to be _intent_. The only law which really fits this case here is:

IC 35-42-2-2 Criminal recklessness;
    Sec. 2.
    (b) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally performs:
    (1) an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person; or
    (2) hazing;
    commits criminal recklessness. Except as provided in subsection (c), criminal recklessness is a Class B misdemeanor.
    (c) The offense of criminal recklessness as defined in subsection (b) is:
    (2) a Class D felony if:
    (A) it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
    (3) a Class C felony if:
    (A) it is committed by shooting a firearm into an inhabited dwelling or other building or place where people are likely to gather; or

The problem is that there really is no way to prove this crime. Fingerprints, maybe, but most arrows I have seen are pretty narrow for prints. Not only that, prints are no proof of who actually fired the arrow. While it might be something, a fingerprint on the arrow will really just say at one point in time, so and so was touching the arrow (unless the person is stupid and lies to the police initially, then they could be charged and maybe that could be used to get them to give more info on the shooter). Otherwise, all the cops can do is go door-to-door and ask, and like was stated earlier, chances are the person is going to lie, not answer the door, or refuse to speak with the cops.

If I build where I currently plan to there will be no reason for anyone to be near my house period. If I can get people on video, they will be charged with tresspassing.

They will only be charged if you post your property, otherwise they won't be charged. Make sure to post your property well.

As for shooting animals, read the laws and know them well. IC 35-46-3-12 is a law to memorize. You basically just can't shoot most animals on a whim. However, there are some defense to prosecution:
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the accused person:
    (1) reasonably believes the conduct was necessary to:
    (A) prevent injury to the accused person or another person;
    (B) protect the property of the accused person from destruction or substantial damage

Also, IC 15-20-2 Chapter 2. Livestock Killing Dogs has additional information as well. Don't forget your local laws as well. Some counties ban the firing of _any_ projectile, others just ban projectiles that are driven by gunpowder.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom