• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I looked down and saw my 4 year permit had expired a few days ago. I am applying for the lifetime permit and all I need to do is pay more taxes/fees to the local PD. I really don't like that I had to pay $75 online, take 30 minutes off work early to drive and get finger printed, then I need to budget another $50 and time to pay at the PD. After all that, I cannot resume my normal lifestyle of carrying.

It just really bugs me. I think I can compare in my mind to the state licensing an individual to not talk about certain subject outside the home, unless they pay taxes to do so and, even then, have restrictions in place.

That's my rant...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    "IC 35-47-2-6*Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. ...
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4; P.L.47-2010, SEC.2."

Just to be clear, you can still carry on your expired permit if you've sent the renewal in within 30 days of the expiration date.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    What is this "permit" thing you speak of? Indiana has a License to Carry a Handgun or LTCH.

People need to stop being so sensitive to people for saying permit/license. Yes license is the correct term but the definition of license is to permit or give permission so technically permit is still correct at least in describing it.

From google:

Permit:
    1. give authorization or consent to (someone) to do something.

License:
    1. a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade

Anyways, as stated earlier the OP is still legal to carry since the renewal process has begun. However, I would not carry out of state while expired.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Good post. I am carrying again.

People need to stop being so sensitive to people for saying permit/license. Yes license is the correct term but the definition of license is to permit or give permission so technically permit is still correct at least in describing it.

From google:

Permit:
    1. give authorization or consent to (someone) to do something.

License:
    1. a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade

Anyways, as stated earlier the OP is still legal to carry since the renewal process has begun. However, I would not carry out of state while expired.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Now I'm pissed. Noblesville PD won't accept my cashiers check for 7-10 days (I'll just have to call back) until a background check is done. Then I can find the time to go back, pay, and wait some more.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There's a bill that was introduced in the house this year that would have eliminated the need for all of this consternation. (at least if you wanted to carry in Indiana). Too bad it never got the traction it needed to be heard in committee. I don't know if it's too late to breath life into it for this session or not.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    "IC 35-47-2-6*Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. ...
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4; P.L.47-2010, SEC.2."

Just to be clear, you can still carry on your expired permit if you've sent the renewal in within 30 days of the expiration date.

Is the 30 day period BEFORE your license exprires or AFTER? OP stated his was already expired when he started the application process for the lifetime. Luckily I opted for the Lifer license and won't have to worry about it again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is the 30 day period BEFORE your license exprires or AFTER? OP stated his was already expired when he started the application process for the lifetime. Luckily I opted for the Lifer license and won't have to worry about it again.

For me PERSONALLY...no one else's usage, but for my own personal determination for MY OWN license (understood? I'm not giving legal advice.)

I would read that as "within 30 days of its expiration", which, without more, means to ME, that it is 30 days before or after the expiration.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    UT Non-res CFP Renewal Comparison:
    1. Fill out online form and upload a new picture.
    2. Pay with credit card.
    3. Get new permit (that's what UT calls it) in mail 7 days later.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    The sheriffs office does it easy and fast, but they said I'm in Noblesville jurisdiction, so I must go through the PD and wait up to 10 days before I can leave work early to pay my fee.

I didn't even have to go to my local PD, I just paid it all at the sheriffs office where I got my e prints done. Is that an option OP?

Top Bottom