• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    My license expires in January and its my first time having to renew it. Can someone tell me how I go about this? Do they send me a renewal form? I live in Indianapolis. Thanks

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You will not get a renewal notice. You need to go down to your local PD and start the process all over again. The only short-cut is to apply for a lifetime license. Process has been taking about 4 to 6 weeks if memory serves.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Before you get the money order purchased, call and find out how much the renewal costs. If my memory is correct, when upgrading to the lifetime, it was a lower price if you were renewing. To that same end, be sure not to let it run out because then 1) its more expensive and 2) you cannot use your receipt as an interim license.

Maybe a renewal is cheaper on the 4 year also. Who cares?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I hear this alot, but as far as I know, there is no state statute that says this.

Indiana Handgun Law says if you submit your application for renewal within 30 days of expiration, your License is automatically extended until application is decided by the Superintendent. There is no footnote, but I'm trying to determine where he got that information.

edit: found it.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins one hundred eighty (180) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Indiana Handgun Law says if you submit your application for renewal within 30 days of expiration, your License is automatically extended until application is decided by the Superintendent. There is no footnote, but I'm trying to determine where he got that information.

edit: found it.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins one hundred eighty (180) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.190-2006, SEC.4.

I'm happy to stand corrected. :)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That is odd within 30 days only, when the request is taking over 30 days. So if you submit 45 days early, you could be 8-9 weeks to get the renewal or half a month without an LTCH.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is odd within 30 days only, when the request is taking over 30 days. So if you submit 45 days early, you could be 8-9 weeks to get the renewal or half a month without an LTCH.

Given that you can submit your renewal application at 180 days, why would you wait anyway? But yeah, the 30 day thing was weird.

Top Bottom