Removing/Storing my carry weapon in my car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So how do you get the back seat down when sitting in the drivers seat? How do you get it down with passengers in the back? You posted a picture with your handgun pointing directly at your child if they are strapped into their seat and you think that's a good idea, daaang. How do you avoid sweeping your child, or any other passengers, when you are getting or storing your gun with a car full of people? It isn't nearly as discrete as having a small lock-box under the seat that you can put in your lap, put your gun in, turn the key, and then slip back under your seat. I've done it in parking lots many times, and with a car full of people. No awkwardly trying to reach back-around behind me with a gun in my hand, waving it all over and contorting my body.

58123BB0-7935-41C1-AA81-36B9E3250886_zps9s9gc3ng.jpg

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So how do you get the back seat down when sitting in the drivers seat? How do you get it down with passengers in the back? You posted a picture with your handgun pointing directly at your child if they are strapped into their seat and you think that's a good idea, daaang. How do you avoid sweeping your child, or any other passengers, when you are getting or storing your gun with a car full of people? It isn't nearly as discrete as having a small lock-box under the seat that you can put in your lap, put your gun in, turn the key, and then slip back under your seat. I've done it in parking lots many times, and with a car full of people. No awkwardly trying to reach back-around behind me with a gun in my hand, waving it all over and contorting my body.

View attachment 45723

^^^^^^^^^^ R E A L L Y ^^^^^^^^^^
    :rolleyes:
    If my kids are in the car they exit first. My son, on he's own doing will put down the seat for me when he exits. Also here's a thought you can turn the gun facing the other way before you put it in the safe. For me I can just turn semi side ways and reach over the front seat to pull down the back seat. Also I can open the safe from inside the trunk.

WARNING if you're not not intelligent person this design is not set up for you!!

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I guess we have different parenting standards then. I wouldn't sent a young child (3-6yo probably if they are still in a booster) out alone into a parking lot to wait for me while I contort myself around to un-lock a box to retrieve my firearm...that is pointing out the passenger side rear door when I first touch it. Nor would I expect a car full of people to wait outside while I retrieve my firearm, there's nothing discreet about that (but that's clearly not what you're interested in). So much less convenient and un-safe no matter how you try to justify it. You can remain in a seated position and always keep the firearm pointed at the floor or the dash board if the lock-box is conveniently under your seat where you can reach it. Logic is not on your side.

I found your coffee cup. pictures are fun :)

il_570xN.732990795_g92w.jpg

Attachments

• Cheers-to-all-my-haters.jpg
      Cheers-to-all-my-haters.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 3

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I guess we have different parenting standards then. I wouldn't sent a young child (3-6yo probably if they are still in a booster) out alone into a parking lot to wait for me while I contort myself around to un-lock a box to retrieve my firearm...that is pointing out the passenger side rear door when I first touch it. Nor would I expect a car full of people to wait outside while I retrieve my firearm, there's nothing discreet about that (but that's clearly not what you're interested in). So much less convenient and un-safe no matter how you try to justify it. You can remain in a seated position and always keep the firearm pointed at the floor or the dash board if the lock-box is conveniently under your seat where you can reach it. Logic is not on your side.

I found your coffee cup. pictures are fun :)

View attachment 45725
    Did you miss the part where you can turn the gun to the other side and get it from the trunk? Also I'm one off those evil open carriers and I'm not worried about hiding my gun like a criminal. I can see that I will have to do a video for some people that can't get it. So with your little cable box can you put a holstered firearm in it? Pics would be nice of your set up.

Some people like to give out cheeseburgers, I like to pass out butterfingers.

Your right, pictures are fun :)

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Doesn't get any simpler, safer, more convenient, or more discrete than this. You have proven to me that I am correct. But apparently you learn with pictures...time will tell. And I'm not hurting over a thing. I have three identically keyed safes for less than you paid for a single safe. It does the job just as well in 2 cars, and the third safe goes with me for when I'm staying over-night anywhere. I have nothing more to post on the subject. I've proven my point. Have a great day.

Stock photos shown below from: http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm
    CableInstall3.jpg

CableInstallSafe2X.jpg

SafeHidden1.jpg

SafeRetrieve1.jpg

SafeRetrieve4.jpg

SafeRetrieve5.jpg

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Doesn't get any simpler, safer, more convenient, or more discrete than this. You have proven to me that I am correct. But apparently you learn with pictures...time will tell. And I'm not hurting over a thing. I have three identically keyed safes for less than you paid for a single safe. It does the job just as well in 2 cars, and the third safe goes with me for when I'm staying over-night anywhere. I have nothing more to post on the subject. I've proven my point. Have a great day.

Stock photos shown below from: In Car Gun Lockers
    CableInstall3.jpg

CableInstallSafe2X.jpg

SafeHidden1.jpg

SafeRetrieve1.jpg

SafeRetrieve4.jpg

SafeRetrieve5.jpg
    That's safe to unholster and unload your gun why'll you are in your car with passenger. You think your dashboard or floor is a great idea for a backstop :rolleyes: I guest you and me just have differences about safety. Thank you for proving mine is safer.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    That's safe to unholster and unload your gun why'll you are in your car with passenger. You think your dashboard or floor is a great idea for a backstop :rolleyes: I guest you and me just have differences about safety. Thank you for proving mine is safer.
    You can put the firearm in the safe with it still in the holster, as I do...it never needs to leave the holster. No sense wearing an empty holster. Nice strawman argument. Those backstops (floor with concrete below, or dashboard with engine block behind) are better than ANY other options while in a car (especially your child's seat and pointing out the passenger door, that your child just exited). You can't provide a safer place to point a firearm when handling it, holstered or not, while in a car. This is just too easy. You just keep showing your ignorance, LOL.

I'm a little upset to realize that, from this day forward, you'll always be thinking of me whenever you have to do another reach-around to grab onto that big glock.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I don't even keep my firearm on me when I am in the car. I always take off my holstered gun before getting in and keep it between me and the center console, or on the passengers seat if nobody is riding with me. I just put the holstered gun back on before or after exiting the vehicle, or when I am at work, slide it under my seat.

You really don't need to over-think this. Just keep the gun holstered and out of sight if you aren't going to have it on you.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You can put the firearm in the safe with it still in the holster, as I do...it never needs to leave the holster. No sense wearing an empty holster. Nice strawman argument. Those backstops (floor with concrete below, or dashboard with engine block behind) are better than ANY other options while in a car (especially your child's seat and pointing out the passenger door, that your child just exited). You can't provide a safer place to point a firearm when handling it, holstered or not, while in a car. This is just too easy. You just keep showing your ignorance, LOL.

I'm a little upset to realize that, from this day forward, you'll always be thinking of me whenever you have to do another reach-around to grab onto that big glock.
    You are the one using the strawman argument. Just because you are incompetent not to flag people with your firearm doesn't mean that everyone else is. I hope one day you will be able to achieve that. Also unlike you I am worried about theft and your not from your previous post. Also, trust me everytime you see a glock you'll be thinking about me and I'm alright with that :p

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I see that you removed the pictures of your setup (you'd posted 5-6 IIRC). Good thing that I kept the one showing the mounting, and where the un-holstered gun is pointing. The backing material of that car seat is made of 1/4" plywood or pressboard. I bet you "secured" your box with a few wood screws...in which case a lift of the corner with a pry-bar or cro-bar would have that thing off in a split second.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I see that you removed the pictures of your setup (you'd posted 5-6 IIRC). Good thing that I kept the one showing the mounting, and where the un-holstered gun is pointing. The backing material of that car seat is made of 1/4" plywood or pressboard. I bet you "secured" your box with a few wood screws...in which case a lift of the corner with a pry-bar or cro-bar would have that thing off in a split second.
    What are you taking about :dunno: There are 8 pics and you can clearly see that the post was never edited. Also look again the gun is in the holster. All modern car the back seats have to have corrugated metal because if your wear in a accident you don't want some thing coming through the seat from the trunk. If you look at the pics again you can see bolts.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I was going to go with one of those for my Jeep but opted instead for a Tuffy trunk box. Upside is I can keep my AK and lots of kit in there as well. Downside is I have to exit the vehicle to use it and if I'm ever rear-ended (or pinned in by bad guys, you know, since I have a beard) I probably won't be able to get into it.

I very, very, very seldom disarm anymore and if I do, I simply open the back door, roll out the drawer, toss the gun and then lock it all back up.

Top Bottom