• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Weird one but can the rifling be removed on a 22 rifle? Have an older single shot that I want to convert to a smooth bore for a turkey shot gun for kids. Bonus, if you can point me in the right direction in Indy area.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Weird one but can the rifling be removed on a 22 rifle? Have an older single shot that I want to convert to a smooth bore for a turkey shot gun for kids. Bonus, if you can point me in the right direction in Indy area.
    Eek....

Well, I have drilled and relined them on my lathe. But, the liner is rifled. You'd basically have to have a long enough drill bit to go in through the muzzle, and not catch the chamber; i.e. a endmill but in drill bit length.

Maybe @55fairlane might have a better suggestion?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Shoot several thousand rounds of bird shot through it.

My grandpa had a Remington model 33 that my dad shot pigeons in the barn with. A LOT of pigeons.

The bore in that is smooth as can be.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Isnt there something illegal with making them a smooth bore? Or am I thinking pistols? Maybe its pistols that cant be smooth bore or it becomes an AOW?

I vaguely remember discussing this for garden guns.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I don't believe he is saying for turkey hunting, but a turkey shoot....the competition where there's a target with a small dot in the center. Person with a pellet closest to the dot wins.

If this would be for turkey hunting, then that would not be an approved caliber.
    I'm thinking a .22 shot shell would just blind or irritate a turkey.
    A 410 would be the way to go. Part of ethical hunting is a quick, clean kill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't believe he is saying for turkey hunting, but a turkey shoot....the competition where there's a target with a small dot in the center. Person with a pellet closest to the dot wins.

If this would be for turkey hunting, then that would not be an approved caliber.
    I would hope so. Nobody wants to face a blind irritated turkey. :nailbite:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'm thinking a .22 shot shell would just blind or irritate a turkey.
    A 410 would be the way to go. Part of ethical hunting is a quick, clean kill.
    In the Evansville area we call it a spot shoot, in other areas they call them turkey shoots, and sometimes board shoots…those areas are wrong!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A few years ago, at the local spot shoot, they’d been having a 22 shoot, a guy shows up and starts cleaning up!…someone asked “what you shooting?” He replied I bought a savage from Whitakers in Owensboro…Whittaker’s had bought an over run from savage that was made for the Canadian market…smooth bore 22 bolt action rifles made for pest control!…the next shoot, everyone showed up with them!

I worked at a shop that had guy showing up and asking us to mount and bore sight in all these savage guns…then we started getting calls asking if we could get them, we couldn’t as Whittaker bought every one they had!…and now I think they’re a catalog item available everyday, and I know Henry makes one (I think they call it a garden gun)…you might have better luck with that

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Sorry all, I know I'm real late to this party, but I have down with the woodoo-vudoo.........
    Can't drill out the old barrel as a twist drill will not leave a good enough finish , but it can be reamed out, using a machine reamer (not chamber reamer) , the question is "is there a stock sized reamer available or am I gonna have a reamer sent out to a tool & cutter grinder and brought to my specific size?"

A new "rifle" or a different barrel fitted to your "rifle" may be your best bet.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Sorry all, I know I'm real late to this party, but I have down with the woodoo-vudoo.........
    Can't drill out the old barrel as a twist drill will not leave a good enough finish , but it can be reamed out, using a machine reamer (not chamber reamer) , the question is "is there a stock sized reamer available or am I gonna have a reamer sent out to a tool & cutter grinder and brought to my specific size?"

A new "rifle" or a different barrel fitted to your "rifle" may be your best bet.
    I knew you'd come through

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    As 55fairlane said, a piloted reamer with an extension would be the way to go. It would take about an hour to modify a reamer so the tooling cost would be around $85.
    The barrel should be removed from the receiver to do the job properly. Total shop time would be around 2.5 hours so it would be around $235 for me to do it in my shop.

Top Bottom