• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I bought a mag extension for my 870 and now i need to remove those annoying dimples Remington puts in the mag tube :xmad: I did a little research and it seems like there is 3 ways of going about this, first would be to drill out the dimples, then there is the socket method where you lightly hammer a socket down the tube to flatten out the dimples, and last would be to buy a dimple removing tool online... Anyone have any experience who can give me some advice on what would be the best method?

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I used a dremel tool with a mild abrasive wheel. Sanded the dimples down. Then put a little paint on a q-tip and painted the sanded down dimples.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I did socket, then dremel. It helped flatten the dimples out so that there was no way I could dremel through them. Process was simple and very straight forward. Then clean the dremeled spots up with some blue on a q-tip.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    I used a dremel tool with a mild abrasive wheel. Sanded the dimples down. Then put a little paint on a q-tip and painted the sanded down dimples.

Easiest route to go if you have a Dremel. Make sure you use an enamel paint to touch the spot up to prevent rust.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Internal size is misleading. Try several brands and find ones that allow you to gradually step up in size until nearly flush, then grind smooth.

Should be 16 or 17mm and/or SAE equivalent.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    pmorriso what size socket did you use? and did you just hammer it in there lightly or what?

It will entirely depend on the socket set you have. I ended up putting on my medium ratchet extension and hammered with light lubricant(gun oil) then back out with ratchet. Start with a slightly smaller size socket then go to full size. It was very simple and makes quick work of almost entirely removing the dimples. I then used a dremel and buzzed the dimples flat, should be fairly quick cause there wasn't much of a dimple left. Then re-blued the inside by touching up the small spots. Turned out great. Hope this helps.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Rise from the grave, O necro-thread!

Does it matter what kind of paint one uses to cover the dremeled/drilled/socket-pounded former dimple-spots? That is, does it have to be cold blue or would, say, touch-up paint for a car work?

Thread subscription added.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom