• linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    Hey Team..

It's just me with another one of my how - to threads :ingo:

This time around I'm doing the opposite of what I typically do, that is to say I'm going to show you how to remove paint off your firearm / scope, after all there are plenty of threads on how to paint a scope (remember google is your friend) but there aren’t to many on how to remove the paint from a scope so here goes nothing / how I do it at least. :popcorn:

Remember / for what it worth.. This is why I love paint!.. you can do anything you want and still remove it later and have your factory look back..

What my scope has been through already..

Here is the first two coats of Duracoat

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7074-1.jpg

Here’s the next two coats of Duracoat

IMG_7201.jpg

Now lets add on some auto paint and three coats of clear ;)

IMG_7222-2.jpg

So now we have the following: 1 base coat (bulldog) 1 primer coat and 4 coats of Duracoat and three coats of Duracoat mat clear.. Is this problem??.:dunno: not anymore it not.. :D

For Duracoat there a few ways to remove it without killing yourself in the process, but please note.. most of the products will burn the hell out of you and the vapors are not good!.. please wear protection..

Jasco Paint and Epoxy remover
    CLP's Powder Blast Gun Cleaner and Gun Scrubber
    Acetone
    MEK
    And pretty much anything from the (zip strip line)

Gel is your friend and look for something that has a high Methylene Chloride content.. 80% or better..

Also just about any brake fluid will also remove it but it makes a mess.. Ask me how I know this.. Hahahaa..

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Also please keep in mind the seal associated with the scope!.. you don't want to hurt them..

So here we are about 15 minutes into the process, I just wiped the stuff on the 0000 steel wool in (light) coats and rubbed it off with a rag once the painted bubbled up.. the whole scope and rings too me all of 35 minutes..

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7581.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

New home for now..

IMG_7584-1.jpg

Ohhh yeah.. Spray paint is really easy to remove too.. Try these:

RU310 reducer
    Simple green
    Gunkoff
    Naval Jelly

Given the proper time (10-20 minutes) all of the paint should wipe off.. In theory.. LOL..

Hey thanks for your time team, I hope you found this information helpful.. :ingo:

Link..

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    None of that hurts the original finish or glass of the scope? I really liked the Zombie paint scheme!!

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    We use MEK at work to clean the lenses for our laser cutter. Acetone should be alright. I'd be careful with the other solvents.

Lawrra is the man.. Correct on everything sir but you left out this one word.. (Extremely) ie I'd be Extremely careful with the other solvents.

IE don't use Jasco on your scope! It will wreck your seals.. etc..

Please think of this information as a foundation that you can build off.. All of the products listed will remove Duracoat or spray paint, but its up to you to learn / (research) or test which product works best for you and your particular application.. ;)

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    I wish i was in So-Cal...i am really jealous of you right now linkpimp...why ya gotta have mad skillz, cool toys, AND nice weather...

think about the little people.......

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks for the post, I need to remove paint off one of my rifle stocks. I used krylon, and I heard to use synthetic safe gub scruber. I have some simple green, so I'm going to give it a shot first.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom