• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stonegateguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    NE Indy
    I have a KaBar Becker 10 w/ black powder coating on the whole blade except the edge. I've seen videos to remove ALL of the coating, but I only want to remove a spot/length at the spine to use on a ferrocium rod. Any tips on the best way to remove this coating in 1 spot (sandpaper, Dremel, etc.)? I wanted all the tips I could get so I don't ruin the blade.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've used the little sandpaper drums on my Drexel for this, and it worked quite well. You'll also want to sharpen the edge where the back of the blade meets the side, which is no big deal.

Stonegateguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    NE Indy
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I "got it",... I used a small pocket knife to get the coating off - it allowed me to control/contain the area I was scraping. I scraped off about the entire spine, and about 1/4" down the striking side of the blade. After getting it to that point, a little filing to sharpen the spine a bit - and now it works well on a 6" Firesteel ferro rod.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It might not even be necessary to remove the coating . . . if the edge had been 90 deg already. As long as it's a sharp edge, it will throw sparks from a ferro rod. Dave Canterbury has a video where he uses a piece of broken glass to spark a ferro rod, which was pretty cool.

Top Bottom