• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I need to take off a milled gas block to replace it with a folding sight combo. I've read numerous articles, seen some videos of it being done and pretty much "know" what involved-2 pins for the base, punched from small end and it should come right off with gas tube. Then punch out the pin holding the gas tube. But there's a difference between knowing about something and actually doing it. Anyone experienced in this have any pointers or specific thing to pay attention to? My sight is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Or, if there is someone in the Greenwood/Indy area who could walk me through this, I'd gladly bring some brown bottles along!

Any info greatly appreciated!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Depending on how many rounds thru the particular rifle, one issue is getting the gas tube out of the FSB w/o bending it. A newer rifle w/ less fouling and its usually easier.

They make a tool for the gas tube that allows you to pull out the tube w/o bending it.

AR-15/M16 GAS TUBE WRENCH at Brownells

Otherwise, its a pretty straight forward disassembly, (2) pins (tapered or straight dowel type, depending on manufacturer), the gas tube roll pin and of course the FH needs to be removed also.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Just place a hockey puck with holes drilled for the pins to fall through or something similar on the other side.

Lay the sucker on the GROUND- something very hard like your garage floor. Make sure your whacks into the pins are HARD and SOLID and SHARP and not just baby ones. I use a nail set to get mine moving. It has a dimple in it that helps it stay on the end of the pin. If you hit it right you should be able to knock it free with one strike.

Spray the crap out of the gas tube and pin hole after you drive the pin out with something like carb cleaner and/or WD so that you can easily get that tube out.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just place a hockey puck with holes drilled for the pins to fall through or something similar on the other side.

Lay the sucker on the GROUND- something very hard like your garage floor. Make sure your whacks into the pins are HARD and SOLID and SHARP and not just baby ones. I use a nail set to get mine moving. It has a dimple in it that helps it stay on the end of the pin. If you hit it right you should be able to knock it free with one strike.

Spray the crap out of the gas tube and pin hole after you drive the pin out with something like carb cleaner and/or WD so that you can easily get that tube out.

Yeah, that's the part that makes me nervous!

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    +1 Indygunworks!

Went to visit Nick this afternoon to take care of my gas block replacement. It went exactly as I thought it would, no surprises. The pins were tighter than any he said he'd ever experienced. All in all, I could have done it myself, but I'd have been nervous as hell taking a hammer and punch to a new AR without having seen it in person!

He's also doing a little pimping on my lower, filling in the Bushmaster snake logo and Safe in white, and Fire in red.

YHM-9394 on my Bushmaster M4gery deployed.

YHM-9394 folded.

BTW, the sight is still on sale at DPMS for $66.90, delivered!

Indygunworks, great guy and highly recommended!

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Nah, you're cool. No harm in asking for help. You should see my suppressed 92fs. Talk about boogered!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Glad to see some work was accomplished besides emptying the brown bottles!!!

I like that gas block/ sight, it even has the evil bayo lug!!!

:+1: to IGW for assisting you.

Mint P08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Yeah, I understand the hesitance. However it isn't a blow like you are going to drive a pole barn nail or something like that. just sharp and solid.

Top Bottom