Removable carry handle/rear sight - what gives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Why are removable carry handles for ARs so expensive? Not that long ago if you bought a flat top AR it came with one. Now days, you can hardly find any company including them with their guns, and if you want to buy one, they're around $100. Do people actually pay that much for those things? Do you think the manufacturers just assume no one will use them anyways?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have one that I rotate to guns when I want to. Yeah, they are a bit complicated it the rear sight is included and the picattiny clamps.
    I recently bought a 3/4" riser for an optic and it was $50.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I bought a cheap one for around $25 off of Ebay for a cheapo build I was doing for a friend. It was okay, but I don't know how long it would last under heavy use.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I don't use them on any of mine anyways, but I've just always felt like that should be something that comes with the gun, not something that you have buy separately for $100

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I paid $60 for one from PSA. It seems to be pretty good but time will tell. If I can't find a Micro-sight for it, I'll be removing it anyway and going to an optic.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The difference between a good one and a chinacom crappy one is not so much the handle or the material, it is the quality of the sight. The cheap ones have poor sights with lots of accuracy inhibiting play. If you have pre determined sight settings they will not track.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    One of the surplus guys at the last 1500 had them for pretty cheap. They were used surplus ones, and I was tempted to pick one up. I want to say he was asking $50, but I can't remember for sure.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    One came on my Stag upper and its very good quality. Would a flip up sight be easier than taking it off to put on optics, sure, but it feels pretty solid and i like that about it.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    not only do I prefer the look of an AR with a carry handle but I'm also trying to learn to use the sight system proficiently before I put on a fancy optic
    When I finished building my AR, I said the same thing to myself. I first wanted to get good with irons, then I would consider an optic. If I'm shooting without magnification, I'd much rather shoot irons.

Dim Mak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Naptown
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only one annoyed by this. I prefer iron sights over optics unless they're magnified like the post above me stated.

Top Bottom