• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    This will get merged soon enough with the other thread.

I'm withholding all judgement until I see the piece - but I have a suspicion there's a lot of bubba jobs out there that are borderline dangerous.

I picked up an unfired 700 ADL last night and at 3.5 lbs - i just can't see it happening.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This story is at least 15 years old. NBC did a hit piece about it back in the mid-'90's. Might there be a problem in which under some circumstances the gun fires without the trigger being touched. Yes, I think there might be, any mechanical device can fail due to wear, abuse, neglect or any numbers of factors. All of the injuries and deaths mentioned were NOT caused by the gun. There were caused by stupid, selfish, lazy, negligent users who could not use enough common sense not to point a loaded high power rifle at a friend of loved or at a plasterboard wall with a friend or loved one on the other side. It's easier to blame an inanimate object than to accept their own guilt.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    This story is at least 15 years old. NBC did a hit piece about it back in the mid-'90's. Might there be a problem in which under some circumstances the gun fires without the trigger being touched. Yes, I think there might be, any mechanical device can fail due to wear, abuse, neglect or any numbers of factors. All of the injuries and deaths mentioned were NOT caused by the gun. There were caused by stupid, selfish, lazy, negligent users who could not use enough common sense not to point a loaded high power rifle at a friend of loved or at a plasterboard wall with a friend or loved one on the other side. It's easier to blame an inanimate object than to accept their own guilt.

Well said. :yesway:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I agree but what about the final vid of the police sniper? What IF the gun was not altered or molested in any way?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I agree but what about the final vid of the police sniper? What IF the gun was not altered or molested in any way?

What if it wasn't? Recall my comment, "any mechanical device can fail due to wear, abuse, neglect or any numbers of factors." It still doesn't mean you point your rifle at your child while you manipulate the safety (as one woman did who fatally shot her 10 year old). The only "safety" any gun has is between your ears, if that fails that whose fault is it?

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    What if it wasn't? Recall my comment, "any mechanical device can fail due to wear, abuse, neglect or any numbers of factors." It still doesn't mean you point your rifle at your child while you manipulate the safety (as one woman did who fatally shot her 10 year old). The only "safety" any gun has is between your ears, if that fails that whose fault is it?
    AGAIN, I totally agree with you. This does not get Remington off the hook though because you simply can't have a rifle that discharges when you touch the bolt (if it really is that way from the factory.) I suspect a large number have had trigger jobs, etc.

With that in mind, what IF a brand new Rem 700 is discharging when a round is chambered and the trigger is not touched? That would be an extremely serious issue, right?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    AGAIN, I totally agree with you. This does not get Remington off the hook though because you simply can't have a rifle that discharges when you touch the bolt (if it really is that way from the factory.) I suspect a large number have had trigger jobs, etc.

With that in mind, what IF a brand new Rem 700 is discharging when a round is chambered and the trigger is not touched? That would be an extremely serious issue, right?

It would be an annoyance, and cause for examination, but not deadly if simple precautions are followed that any fool should know. I read some of the accounts of the malfunction and the guns mentioned were 25-30 years old when the alleged problem surfaced. How much use does a sniper's training rifle get, I would imagine a lot. Allegedly, the Walker Fire Control used on the 700 has an inherent flaw, but it hasn't been explained sufficiently for me to believe it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This is just step 1 in proving to anti gunners that guns go off on their own and it's dangerous to have one in public.

I feel bad for the victims of the shots, but if the muzzle was ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction, ESPECIALLY if it is known to be loaded. *shakes head* There ARE reason for safe firearm practices...

Even when I'm not touching it, my firearms are pointed away from anyone in the house.

Exactly! Always treat any gun as if it's loaded. When I take a gun out of the safe. I drop the mag and rack the slide bolt etc. To make sure the weapon is in fact safe. I also never point the muzzle toward myself or others. If I'm at home I point the muzzle of my carry gun in a safe direction. So, if it would decide to go off. It's not pointed at me or my neighbors. The things that kills me the most is this. If someone is driving a car and something breaks or malfunctions. Which happens to cause them to hit another car etc. It's not made into such a big deal. Unless it's frequent with a certain make or model. If a gun malfunctions OMG it's the end of the world.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Wow. We disagree BIG TIME. I can't imagine how anyone could call a round through your roof, over the backstop, in the floor "an annoyance".

Just stop cycling rounds through high powered rifles in your living room and you won't have to worry about it.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    This has been a well known issue with the 700 for a long long long time. It's a firearm and it should be treated as such. The safest gun still requires maintenance and is truly only as safe as the person whom has it in their grasp.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a 700 5R Mil Spec. The trigger is stock and I've not adjusted it down too low. I've never seen this happen. I have had an extremely small number of failure to fire but it was due to the ammo. Not one round has fires by touching the bolt.
    I'll be at the range Friday and I will see if I can purposely replicate it. Serious doubts.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just stop cycling rounds through high powered rifles in your living room and you won't have to worry about it.

But what if I want to do won of deese home gunsmith bubba trigger jobs? If I lay a dime on the sights and practice it in front of a mirror with my snap caps in my pocket then is it OK?

I heard the Tennessee civilian militia SWAT rediness Jo Bobs recomend practicing their quick response reload drills this way.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I think some of the problems come from improper trigger adjustment. You can adjust them so light that they go off when you close the bolt

Top Bottom