• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Same for me. I finally gave up on trying to get ahold of them and try to call BS on the need of returning the whole rifle when they say it is just a trigger assembly defect. I did the routine on the net this past monday and nothing here at my house yet.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I have 4 Remington 700's, and a XP-100 pistol. I purchased all of them new. None of them are effected by the recall because the oldest is circa 1972, and the newest is 1985. All of mine have Walker triggers. I lived through the whole Walker trigger fiasco, and was concerned about it because I have so many of these rifles. There was also a recall of the XP-100 way back when.

What I found interesting is through it all Remington, and anyone and everyone else involved, were never able to duplicate the accidental discharges that the plaintiff's said happened to their weapons. People were shot and killed, no question. But it was never proven the gun was ever at fault. Ever.

There were videos of guns discharging prematurely when simply touched, but most every one of them had been "worked on", or else had poor care, and the entire trigger assembly was full of dirt and rust. Simple neglect. Never the less Remington was owned by the deep pocketed DuPont Corporation back then, and were forced to pay out millions to these people, and their families. DuPont never changed the Walker design under their ownership, despite all of this. The X-Mark Pro Trigger design came long after DuPont was gone.

Personally I've never seen any direct evidence that there is anything "wrong" with the Walker design. I was never concerned to this day about the safety of my 700's. All work perfectly, and have for decades, and thousands of rounds. With that said I take care of them, and keep everything cleaned, lubed, and rust free. The way a rifle is supposed to be cared for.

As far as this latest incident with the 700. If I had one that was involved in this latest recall, I would not send it in. If I were concerned about it's performance to the degree it bothered me, I would have an aftermarket trigger installed. The time, waiting, and aggravation involved isn't worth the couple of hundred bucks spent having a good aftermarket trigger put in by a competent gunsmith. Be it a Timney or better yet, a Jewel. If your gun is equipped with good glass and mounts, There is a better than average chance something is going to get scratched, stripped out, damaged, or just plain screwed up in this whole, "return it and we'll fix it", process. And let's face it, how many 700's out there are NOT scoped? And the bulk of them usually have some type of thread locker applied to the small, fine threaded screws attaching them to the gun.

Top Bottom