• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    For a standard buttstocked shotgun, both will serve you well.

For a shotgun with a pistol grip, the 870's safety placement is better.

For me personally, I prefer 870's over all other pump shotguns.

Craig

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The 870 is a fifty year old design which has seen virtually no changes made to the receiver and action. It is also the most popular pump action shotgun on the planet.

the 500 is a newer design, but is the second most popular pump action shotgun on the planet.

The videos I watched made the 870 look easier to field strip. I think either would serve you well in any role though.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    the mossberg is too noisy and it flat-out ugly.

the action, after being cycled with a shell in the chamber, rattles and 'clinks'. Youre not sneeking up on anyone if you have a 500, period.

the best thing you could do is send a friend into the **** with the 500 as a noisy destraction and flank them with your 870!

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    The 870 is a fifty year old design which has seen virtually no changes made to the receiver and action. It is also the most popular pump action shotgun on the planet.

the 500 is a newer design, but is the second most popular pump action shotgun on the planet.

The videos I watched made the 870 look easier to field strip. I think either would serve you well in any role though.

I watched a video on a Trident being launched from a sub.....looked pretty easy!!

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    Im a remington man, But all my remington shotguns are older all metal parts.
    The new ones that are not Police magnums have some plastic parts now Ive seen.
    And the 500 parts to me feel really flimsy, the plastic safety, and other parts in/on the reciever.

Its like the Ford Vs. Chevy question.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    This is a relevant thread to me since I'm really eyeballing :n00b: some sort of shotgun for the house.

I appreciate the discussion.

From what I read around the net and on here, the Mossberg will work, but it's a less refined gun. One quote I read somewhere said "a Mossberg will rattle like an angry snake" as you carry it.

Others say the Remingtons are far less gun than they used to be.

Classic Chevrolet vs. Ford styled arguments

Mossbergs seem very inexpensive, especially used. :dunno:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This is a relevant thread to me since I'm really eyeballing :n00b: some sort of shotgun for the house.

I appreciate the discussion.

From what I read around the net and on here, the Mossberg will work, but it's a less refined gun. One quote I read somewhere said "a Mossberg will rattle like an angry snake" as you carry it.

Others say the Remingtons are far less gun than they used to be.

Classic Chevrolet vs. Ford styled arguments

Mossbergs seem very inexpensive, especially used. :dunno:

a new 870 Express is only $199 with wood furniture. It only holds 4, and can't easily (unless finding a 1/4" drill bit to drill the magazine tube counts as easy) accept magazine tube extensions....... For that $199 you get a 20" rifled slug barrel, and a 22" shot barrel with 3 chokes. It may not be an 8 shot, 18" wonder shotgun for home defense, but you know, if I'm at the top of the steps, and the BG is at the bottom, you think he knows the difference between 18 and 22" ;)

Either way, it's hard to go wrong with the two most popular pump action shotguns. Either will serve it's purpose exceptionally well. There are a million and one parts available for each of them off the shelf at most shops.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have both! I have put many more shells through my 500 then I have the 870. The 870 is nice and tight and the 500 is loose. Depending on what you want it for would be the determining factor for me.
    I don't plan to sneak up on anyone in fact I keep my 500 loaded without one in the chamber so if I need it an intruder gets to "Hear" me rack it over. I also feel that if I had to drag both guns through mud, sand, pond scum or whatever the mossberg is more likely to cycle.
    That said the 500 is not my primary home defense weapon. That is left to the XD and the AR's are available as well.
    Both shotguns are good and everyone should own at least one :)

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    It only holds 4, and can't easily (unless finding a 1/4" drill bit to drill the magazine tube counts as easy) accept magazine tube extensions........

I did this to my 870 when i was like 15, i had no instruction, i just looked at it and said to myself "how do i get this to work? oh i need to drill out the dimple" it is not hard, not one bit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well First, Bigcraig might like the safety on an 870 better, but I bet he's not left handed. I am a lefty, and I prefer the 500 for that reason. Not to mention that I find it more intuitive as my thumb crosses the back of the receiver to wrap the grip. The 500 is too noisy? Are we talking about collecting fine art or a shotgun for practical use? I hear what you are saying, and don't deny that a 500 is less refined, but I can't say that I consider it an important factor. As has already been said, why do you need to "sneak" up on anyone when you are the guy holding a shotgun? Personally, God forbid it, but any use of my shotgun is going to commence with the loudest string of profanity you've heard in a while. Silence of my gun is therefore unnecessary, they wont hear it over me anyway. Some guys are all thumbs and dont want to modify an 870 to hold 5 in the tube- a 500 does it out of the box. A HUGE 2ND to the guy who said that new 870s are a different breed than the old 870s. Not necessarily enough to swing the decision either way, but just saying the old ones were nicer. Also, don't have a scale but I think the 870 is lighter. To me, it feels lighter and more natural to handle. I hunted with a nice old 870 for years before I was given a 500 as a gift. I like the safety and 5+1 capacity of the 500, but a 870 with nice wood and deep bluing sure is purty and feels a little better to me.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Well First, Bigcraig might like the safety on an 870 better, but I bet he's not left handed. I am a lefty, and I prefer the 500 for that reason.

If I'm not mistaken, the safety on the 870 can be configured for southpaws.

I bought an old police trade-in Wingmaster with nice wood, great finish, an 18" bbl, and a mag extension for less than $275. I couldn't be happier with it. Trade-ins are the way to go.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    870-1.jpg

You to can have a shotgun like this for $199 ;)

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo

I have owned and shot a lot of brands of shotguns thru the years and I keep coming back to the Rem 870 ( this last time is because thats what My Facility issues )
    Its hard to beat and it is a workhorse that takes a lot of punishment and abuse ,I know 1 st hand I see it almost daily
    I just requalified with a 870 at My Facility
    Great gun You cant go wrong with it

Last edited:

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I've had my 870 for 35 years and it's still tight and accurate. I shoot trap with it often. I have a Winchester 1300 with 7+1 capacity for home defense (have shot trap with it too - pretty well) and I love it for that purpose. Bought at Plainfield Shooting Supplies a couple of years ago and they threw in a pistol grip as an optional accessory.

Top Bottom