• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Looking to replace my 12 ga shotgun that WAS handed down to me by my father...but he apparently wanted back?!?

Def want a Remington 870. Shot a few and loved them!! But I do not know enough about the barrel types etc to know what I need / want.

The shotgun will be primarly for clay shooting, but I do want the option to deer hunt and shoot slugs.

What should I be looking for specifically in the barrells and gun etc?

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    With an 870, you can change the barrel really easy. For example, you could buy the gun with a 26" ribbed barrel that would work for clays and get a barrel with rifle sights for slugs. It takes about 2 minutes to change.

Do be sure you get the 3" version of the gun, so not to limit your options.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Kind of depends on how you define clays but you want multi purpose to hunt as well so get a 28" vent rib barrel with choke tubes. You can shoot standard foster type slugs through any choke from full on down, don't run them through chokes tighter than full.

Sporting clays you want an IC tube. Trap and hunting at least a Modified tube.

You say primarily clays and for that all you need is 7/8 oz or 1oz in a 2 3/4" load. These days I never use 3" ammo of any kind for target, HD or hunting. For hunting you specifically said deer and 2 3/4" slugs do just fine. In fact in my rifled barrel, 2 3/4" shoots tighter groups.

I make this point for a reason, you could buy a used, higher end 870, like a trap version that may only have a 2 3/4" chamber but that is a non-
    issue for 99.9% of the shots you will take with it. As long as you are willing to drag it through the woods, what the hell. Just because the gun started life as a Trap or Clays gun does not mean it can't hunt now. A 30" barrel would be fine for the rare day spent hunting and much better for clays in general. Not being able to use 3" ammo won't phase you in the least.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use an 870 express magnum turkey edition for everything from hunting turkeys, to shooting trap, to hunting deer with the simple change of a choke tube. For deer I'll slap on my 4x scope with a saddle mount. Been using it for many years and works like a charm.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Ok so Im sold on an 870. Which model? THe express appears to be the "base" model. I am going to get at least a 3" chamber.

My buddy is an avid hunter and swears by his super mag. NOt sure on barell length but it has the vents on the top and the sight at the end has green / orange pieces you can swap out. He has the modified choke.

He said he shoots turkey with it, but also shoots slugs thru it. It may not be the absolute best for one thing, but it appears to be a good all around setup.

Any thoughts on model / barrel etc? Again I would like to NOT have 2 barrells due to increased cost, and I do like that super mag setup my buddy has.

Top Bottom