• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    First year with the M82A1 50BMG and a Leupold Mk4 3.5x10 (~65 MOA total travel vs 27 MOA offset for the M82A1) I had to zero the first mil dot up (i.e. one mil dot above the cross hair) at 100 yards and this gave me a nice 300 yard zero for the trip out west. Was going to replace with a Leupold Mk4 4.5x14 scope with 100 MOA total travel, but it ended up on the Rem 700 PSS in 308 and the M82A1 wandered away when it would not shoot below 2.5 MOA and the Sako TR42 338LM is shooting 0.4MOA (338LM was dropped of by a friend with a Nightforce scope and staid ;-).

If this rifle was a little flatter shooting round than a 308 (goes sub subsonic near 1000 yards) and/or a little closer to being zeroed at 100 yards, you could do similar using the first mil dot up. However, since looks like you would have to go at least two dots up and maybe three, this is at best a temperary setup. Looks like you are going to need a new base and/or a scope with more vertical adjustments.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Or just zero at a further distance?

Problem with having a zero with at least a 6" high impact at 100 yards is that you will be too high to hold dead on for a deer size target (nominal 10" diameter or plus/minus five inches) from 75 yards to 275 yards ... which is the best part of shooting rifles.

To hold under one almost needs a reference above the point of aim / cross hair and what the discussion earlier.

Following is plot of a a 308 shooting 168gr Fed Gold Metal Match zeroed at 325 yards, which puts the impact 6" inches high at a 100 yards. Remember this is the best case as the scope was full adjusted and still at least off by 6" at 100 yards.

308_zeroed_6in_high_at_100yds.jpg

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Trying to shoot a scoped rifle with a 20MOA base at 100 yards will ALWAYS be a useless exercise. The ENTIRE purpose of a 20MOA base is to allow hits within the range of most scopes at 800 to 1000 yards. (for a 308)

A 20 MOA base usually is not used for less than 300 yards, and if it is used for the short range shots under 300 yards, careful data must be recorded and hold-offs must be used.

This is part of pre-planning what the intended use of the rifle is going to be when purchasing components. If most of your shots are going to be 600 yards or less, a standard scope base is all that is needed. If you are going to concentrate on long range, 800 to 1,000 yards or beyond, you need the 20 MOA base. But you must acknowledge that the short range shooting will be more difficult.

That is how it is. Don't blame the scope because it doesn't have enough clicks. That isn't fair. You bought the base to have enough clicks at long range. You shouldn't wonder why it doesn't have enough clicks at short range. You cannot have it all, my friend......

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Many people use 20 moa bases zeroed at 100 yards. Actually the majority of precision shooters that I know running .308 are zeroed at 100. The 20 moa base is so that you don't run out of elevation at the further distances.

Edit: I see you've explained yourself further down the thread. Newer scopes have plenty of vertical movement to accommodate the 20moa base.At least the majority. I'm glad we all agree, and that he had a 30moa base on as it was screwing up my thought as I tried to figure out his problem.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I dont hunt.

Since this is Indiana one would not be hunting white tail instate anyway, but is a good example of shooting off hand, shooting at an unknown range, needing a quick aim point and a moderate size target (i.e. 10 inch kill zone). However, assume you wish to shoot at something this side of 275 yards be that tin cans or tactical matches, and to do so you will either require another mounting setup with less offset, a scope with more vertical adjustment range (ones with 100 MOA are still fairly common for a price) and/or using an aiming point above the cross hair by roughly two mils (that is 7.2" at 100 yards and nominal just past what you are off).

Good Luck

Last edited:
    Top Bottom