• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    Does anyone know anything about the remington 597 vtr. I like the look of the rifle, but heard that it had feed problems. Do these problems still exist.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Checkout RimfireCentral and the Remington 597 subforum. Lots of great info and answers to questions. I bought a Dick's combo 597 and have played with it some. The trigger is now polished and smooth. Also bedded it and changed the cheapo scope. Shoots little groups with CCI MiniMags. They can be finicky with ammo at first but mine has ate everything including subsonics without a jam.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    My brother bought one from Gander Mountain about 2 months ago. When he got it home he took it apart and noticed there was a hole on the under side of the bolt. It wasn't a machined hole, it actually looked like a piece of metal had fallen off the gun. He sent it back to Remington for repair. After a few weeks he got it back and everything looked correct except that the barrel was extremely loose and no matter what we tried it wouldn't tighten up. He took in to the gun smith at Gander Mountain and they told him they've had a problem with every one they sold. They ended up giving him a full refund for the gun.

2000fxstb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    If you want to get a 22 that you do not have to spend more money to make it shoot sub 1/2 groups then you need to look at older Marlin 60s there are some on gun broker for around $150 .
    I have a western auto supply Marlin 60 made in the late 60s or early 70s it is a great 22 shoots sub 1/2 groups and it has more rounds down the pipe than i can count have not spent any money on upgrades do not need to, shoots great just as it is

mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    I'm having troulbe fiding good reviews on the 597. At this point I'm looking more at the Smith and Sig. I've seen a lot of reviews for the Smith, but not much on the Sig. Has anyone had experience with the Sig 522?

The obvius thing is that they don't have iron sights and it's heavier.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    If you want to get a 22 that you do not have to spend more money to make it shoot sub 1/2 groups then you need to look at older Marlin 60s there are some on gun broker for around $150 .
    I have a western auto supply Marlin 60 made in the late 60s or early 70s it is a great 22 shoots sub 1/2 groups and it has more rounds down the pipe than i can count have not spent any money on upgrades do not need to, shoots great just as it is

My Marlin was made in 2000 and I have not had a single complaint about this gun. Occasionally it has a problem ejecting but that is usually caused by it being dirty. Shot 200 or so federals through it a couple weeks ago and it didn't have a problem.

Top Bottom