• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I had a little boo boo with an old J. Stevens little Scout. First, a little backstory. My grandpa passed away 2 years ago and this was one of the guns we found stashed in the couch after a few visits to his home. Its a small, single shot, kid sized .22 rifle. After it was found, my sister let her 8 year old son shoot it. No big deal. After several rounds one of the brass casings actually separate from the rim. It scared him half to death. I wasn't there so when I found out, I started reading up on the gun and that happening. I found 8 or 10 instances of that happening and they were with different models of guns. One thing was common and every one of them was using Remington golden bullets. Fast forward to this weekend. I'm up in Michigan doing some spring cleaning at the property and figured id bring the little scout with me and try it out and see if it was a fluke deal. I loaded it with Remington thunderbolts and got 7 shots through without incident. The 8th shot, not so much. BANG!!!! Luckily I was wearing glasses, however, I was being a dummy and not wearing earplugs. That was a mistake. The shell did the same thing and separated from the rim. I still had the case and the rim but something flew out and smoked me in the forehead. Sadly, I have decided that this little guy is going to get one good last cleaning, oiled up and be displayed at the house one way or another.

Here's the case:
    d4d43ef0.jpg

Here's the chamber with the hammer and block? Pulled down

e76b31d5.jpg

Here's the block up and the hammer pulled back.

850b8e5b.jpg

Hammer and block up

c058e409.jpg

Tis merely a flesh wound.

c84177dc.jpg

It took a solid 24-36 hours before my ears completely stopped ringing. Even with "just" a .22 it's always wise to wear your eyes and ears.

BradleyMP2011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks for posting this. I have used those thunderbolt rounds before and didn't like them at all. Nothing bad ever happened like with you, but they just seemed fluky.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I'm chalking this up to the gun being old and worn. I have gone through Thousands and thousands of thunderbolts and never had this problem. Thunderbolts are the only .22 round I buy at all and will continue to as well.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I could be wrong but this rifle may be chambered for .22 short or longs only. Seem to remember an incident with one of these 40 years plus ago. Same result.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I have read (on the Interwebs, YMMV) that Remington .22s are a wee bit "fat". They feed jam in my Model 60 pretty regular, while Winchesters and Federals do not.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the rifle looks like it is in good shape. If it has a tight chamber, coupled with a brand that likes a loose rifle, you may be having an out-of-battery issue. OOB ignition can certainly "cut" the rim off and send pieces flying.

You may not have a worn-out rifle, just one that's picky.

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    I have read (on the Interwebs, YMMV) that Remington .22s are a wee bit "fat". They feed jam in my Model 60 pretty regular, while Winchesters and Federals do not.

Hard to tell from the pics, but the rifle looks like it is in good shape. If it has a tight chamber, coupled with a brand that likes a loose rifle, you may be having an out-of-battery issue. OOB ignition can certainly "cut" the rim off and send pieces flying.

You may not have a worn-out rifle, just one that's picky.

You may want to try a different ammo, but wear a full face shield helmet!

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    I've only had one federal casing hit me in the face from my 45. It didn't feel good, but nothing like that. Brings another meaning to "you'll shoot your eye out".

Top Bottom