• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Not only will this be my first bolt action but it will also be my first hunting rifle. I havent had a chance to hold one to see if i like it or not but i was looking for opinions on other bolt action .308's i could/should look at to save me trips to the fun store. I did a quick search and couldnt find a thread comparing rem 700's to anything.

P.S. I live in VA so it's still legal to deer hunt with .308

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The main comparision I see is 700 vs savage 10. I think the 700 has a better stock, and more potential, but the savage is more accurate out of the box.

Neither is the wrong answer. Dont overlook the model 70 either

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I would not recommend buying any particular model of rifle until you have handled/shouldered one. Fit is a critical part of rifle shooting.

I haven't handled any newer Remington products, but I will say my preference is for Rugers and Savages.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My friend has a Remington 700 in .22-250 and I'm quite pleased with its operation and finish. My only complaint is that it's a little hard to load into the push-down internal magazine. It could be that I've just not done it enough but I just can't seem to get them in there properly and the bolt doesn't feed them.

He doesn't have that issue.

I have a Mossberg ATR Night Train in .308 and I really like that also. It was a bit less expensive than the Remington 700, but my impression is that it's similar. I do like the Mossberg trigger much more than the Remington, but both work well enough.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I have a savage model 10 in .308 and I LOVE it! The accu-trigger is awesome and has very little recoil in my opinion. Mine is the heavy duty flitted berral with muzzle break and is a bit heavy if you are just standing there shooting, but I have mine outfitted with a Harris bipod. Either way it's fun as hell to shoot!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got several 700's, I have a VTR in 223 and a friend has one in 308, both have a great feel and accuracy well within what you need for deer, Both shoot quality factory ammo well, and Reloads very well

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    I was recently looking for a 308 myself and was comparing. Check out the Ruger American...for a hunting rifle it fit the bill for me. Great gun so far for me

Top Bottom