• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you use reloaded ammo in your carry gun?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just a question: If muscle memory is part of why we train and our practice ammo is different than our SD ammo is someone going to be able to make the adjustment (if needed) in a panic situation? Does your practice ammo shoot exactly like your SD ammo? I practice and shoot what I carry. If my weapon is removed from my holster then I am fully ready to use deadly force. Not to shoot the pistol out of the BG hands. I practice 2 to the chest, 1 to the head and 1 to the hip. I have to feel confident that I can hit what I'm aiming at before the weapon is drawn.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Never. NEVER!! has anyone in a SD shooting had an issue with carrying reloads....ever! not once!

NEVER speak in absolutes, it will ALWAYS make you look foolish (especially when your absolute has already been disproven in this very thread).

Cases Where Handloads Caused Problems in Court by Mas Ayoob

I still don't buy into it enough to discount the idea. If the components were available to me, and I could test and develop the same way the big name SD manufacturers do, I would have no problem carrying hand loads.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've yet to see a case where the reload/not reload had any relevance. I don't care what happens in CA or NY. I don't care what happened 20 years ago in BumFraz AL. I care what happens in Indiana.

That said, I carry factory ammo. I reload for practice. I don't think I'm more knowledgeable, more experienced, have better equipment, etc. than the fine folks at Buffalo Bore, Hornady, etc. I would carry reloads, especially in my revolver, if need be but see no advantage to doing so over factory self defense ammo.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I load the same Hornady XTP bullets in my carry loads that are used by many manufacturers in their factory ammo. Presuming my loads have the same MV, how much more deadly could they be? If I ever have to kill another human being in self-defense, I will have a lot mor on my mind than what load was used. Since I really don't think that will ever happen, I'll just keep loading and practicing with my own loads.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    NEVER speak in absolutes, it will ALWAYS make you look foolish (especially when your absolute has already been disproven in this very thread).

If your proof is what mr. Ayoob has "proven" than your going to need alot more "proof"

Read the link i provided in my previous post.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    If I reloaded them then I would if I had tested the batch. If available, I prefer to carry factory rounds.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just a question: If muscle memory is part of why we train and our practice ammo is different than our SD ammo is someone going to be able to make the adjustment (if needed) in a panic situation? Does your practice ammo shoot exactly like your SD ammo?

Close enough. I'm not sniping at 1800 yards. The tiny bit of variation between factory "plinking" ammo, my own reloads, and carry ammo is negligible for self defense shooting. You might as well worry about having the same crosswind on your range day as on the day you need to actually put your skills to use on the street, wearing the same shirt so the tightness across your back is the same, etc.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Was doing some reloading today and this thought crossed my mind. Do you or would you use reloaded ammunition in your carry gun? Why or why not.

The OP asked for a personal opinion. Therefore, I don't see how there could be a wrong answer.
    It's just like one's decision about wearing a motorcycle helmet in a non-mandatory helmet state. Some folks prefer to and some folks don't.
    I think that it's okay to use reloaded ammo for self defense.
    And there is also factory reloaded ammo which the OP didn't specify the type of reloads.
    I believe that non-reloaded ammo is also capable of malfunction, misfire and of being improperly manufactured and potentially defective.
    I also believe that folks should use the ammo that they are the most capable of hitting the target with, even if that ammo has lower velocity than "factory self-defense rounds".
    I wonder if any folks also believe that each round should be weighed as a way to determine if there's any powder inside the case before loading it into their magazine? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Whatever is most effective. If you can reload better SD cartridges than factory that's what I'd carry.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I wouldn't carry reloads. Not because of any fear of them not being fine to shoot, just from the fear of the legal ramifications for using them. We saw once again in the Zimmerman trial how the type of firearm we carry may be used to try to antagonize the jury.

Why did you carry these specially made super deadly hand loads? Wasn't the manufactured ammo that everyone in the world uses except you not deadly enough? Didn't you design them to much more deadly than what was available on the open market?

My thoughts EXACTLY!

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    On the fourth page of posts and the pole results are about what I would have predicted. I have been reloading for over 20 years. I am sure there are many on here that are years ahead of that.
    Over the years I have carried both factory and reloaded ammunition. (my reloads only) I think a few "high profile" cases on self defense shootings probably scare alot of people off from reloads. Granted the attorneys are going to dig into every aspect of the shooting. I feel that if a person followed acceptable reloading practices and could provide accurate loading data, the fact that it was a reloaded round(s) would not be the determining factor of guilt or innocene. I have been wrong before.
    Yes, my original post was asking for your personal opinion. No right or wrong answer. We all make choices on personal protection every day.
    Great responses.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have reloads in the ammo cabinet, and have tested them to the point that I am confident in their function and ability to do their job if need be. That said, I do have a decent stockpile of factory ammo in the calibers that I carry, and will continue to carry factory ammo as long as I have it available. I dont put much stock in reloads putting me in prison, a good shoot is a good shoot, I dont care if someone uses a potato gun. The biggest reason for me is the time involved, as I am extra meticulous with loads that I know may be pressed into service to defend my or my family's life. Its just easier to buy a half case of factory ammo than it is to sit down and load 500 of whatever I am short on at that time.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    i try and get hp bullets for my plinking reloads in case of a the shtf situation, until then absolutely not. Bullsh+* legal ramifications is the reason.

Top Bottom