• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    First, get yourself a reloading manual (or several) and READ. Possibly sign up for a reloading class. After enough research you will see what will work best for you and the volume you intend.

As for me, I use a Lee Classic Turret. Does everything pretty well, and leaves me enough cash for more components.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    First, get yourself a reloading manual (or several) and READ. Possibly sign up for a reloading class. After enough research you will see what will work best for you and the volume you intend.

As for me, I use a Lee Classic Turret. Does everything pretty well, and leaves me enough cash for more components.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS word for word:rockwoot:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I'm in the same camp--go Dillon and be done with it. Square Deal may be fine, I started on a used 550b and I'm completely satisfied. Dillon has some great distributors--Profire Arms locally and online Brian Enos will take care of you.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    The best reloading equipment is whatever works for you.

If you want highest precision and can tolerate lower throughput, go single stage. If you want good precision with higher throughput, progressives are great.

I've had family members that have used all major brands of reloading equipment and none have complained about their particular brand other than minor bickering.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Lee is a workhorse, does a good job, loads ammo as well as other brands - a little more finicky to set up and use. Lee is by far the cheapest. Dillon and RCBS are the Cadillac of presses and tooling - great products but expensive. A single stage press will load anything the turret or progressive presses will - just much slower. If you are just wanting to try out the hobby and see if you like it, or just load a few rounds a month (200- 300) you can buy a Lee Kit that has 90% of what you need to get started for under $150. The recommendation that you buy some reloading books is the best thing you can do. You will really need them to reload anyhow, and the process is explained pretty thoroughly. Personally I like the Hornady manual about the best as far as the reloading instruction for people just starting. My son and I have been reloading for over 20 years and have several manuals.

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I have to agree with getting the reloading manuals. Get them first and read. I believe I have at least 5 or of them dating back to the mid 80s. A good deal can be learned by reading them and seeing what items the different authors put on the components. Then look through the actual loading date. Some will have but a single load and powder recommendation for a particular caliber/bullet weight while others will offer a wider range of the same.

Top Bottom