• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    when do you decide that a load you developed for your guns is good enough? been shooting our savages this summer and tweaking loads for them and have them shooting very well. .5 to .8 5 shot groups. tried about 15-20 different loads to get here. was shooting .8-.9 5 shot with sierra mk 168 then tried berger 168 best groups yet. been playing with a pair of h&r .223s this summer also. 1 is shooting 5 shot groups of .75. must have shot 20 different loads to date in them. probably done for now going to play with loads for ar15s. just like to tinker with things, how about you when do you say good enough?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I don't reload and therefore not quite as a scientific answer but, I would say when you're happy with the groups and feel like you don't need to try to make it better.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it depends on the use of the gun. if its a hunting gun moa and im good. if its a plinker 2 moa and im good. if its a competition gun it could always be better. i did a load for a ar and would have been happy with a 1 inch group at 50 yds. the first load i tried i shot .6 inch at 50 and was good with that.

on my .243 ive been trying tons of loads. it is on break as i have my deer barrel back on the prohunter but when i get it back out ill get it moa or slightly under and call it a good coyote gun.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you think you are done tweeking loads, start casting your own lead, and making your own lube, :D then you will have an excuse to never quit.
    :whistle:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think the simple answer is you quit when you are satisfied, unless your like me and am never done tweaking.

yup, if you look at your groups as a whole and see a trend that this gun is hangin at x level then that what you get,

I've had guns that would not get down to what I wanted, I've also broke down and bought some premium factory ammo every once in a while just to measure myself against what a "standard" load will do.

I've messed around with rifles for years before I stopped messing with a load, I'm currently on a epic adventure with one 223 rifle that I believe will do better but I just haven't found that magic load yet.

Also what is the purpose of the gun, are we looking for a coyote gun, then if you have a 1 inch gun your done. if your looking for a pdog gun then .5-.75 your probably good, if your looking to beat the top shooter in bench rest then you never stop,

Hope this muddied the water for you. :draw::draw:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    reloading

you are NEVER done!!! go if moving to the longer berger bullet gave you good improvment... try the scenars!!!
    oh thanks alot. have just about decided to move on to another project,my ar that ive been neglecting. but now ill have to try the scenars. boy... just when you think your done

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Never done. I've got loads I know work, and that I like. But I just can't help tinkering with different powders, bullets, OALs, etc.... always trying for that little extra that is more accurate, cleaner, whatever. Reloading for me is it's own hobby, every bit as fun as the shooting itself :)

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lets move on from the .308's for now, I'm happy with mine. I'm thinking the AR's or my Ruger, deer season will be here before we know it.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    reloading

Lets move on from the .308's for now, I'm happy with mine. I'm thinking the AR's or my Ruger, deer season will be here before we know it.
    see there we go again. we got your 629 shooting very well and you had to go and buy a ruger hunter. have to start all over again.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    reloading

Your done when your widow sells your toys,and not until !!!!!!! :): :ingo:
    guess you got the right idea. was not looking for advice(been reloading for 25 years and it is a hobby i enjoy as much as shooting) but more along the lines of when do you guys move on to something else. or are we just never satisfied with good enough

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I give my brother the materials to reload that he asks for. He gives me loads to test fire and we go from there. Am I satisfied yet. Yes and no. The gun is shooting as good as I expected it to. No is the regards of I think that the gun will now shoot better. Been talking to some older people that shoot longer ranges and then they tell me stuff that I did not know, so then it is back to the drawing board. So to answer your question, never.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    when do you decide that a load you developed for your guns is good enough? been shooting our savages this summer and tweaking loads for them and have them shooting very well. .5 to .8 5 shot groups. tried about 15-20 different loads to get here. was shooting .8-.9 5 shot with sierra mk 168 then tried berger 168 best groups yet. been playing with a pair of h&r .223s this summer also. 1 is shooting 5 shot groups of .75. must have shot 20 different loads to date in them. probably done for now going to play with loads for ar15s. just like to tinker with things, how about you when do you say good enough?

If you think the 168 Bergers shoot good step up to the 175VLD's!:D

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever move on, and I think that will be my problem. In my Mod. 70 308 I am always tweaking, I have settled on one bullet(175grVLD), and I think that I have found the right charge for the lot of powder I am using right now, but I am always tweaking with the seating length. I must say I am anal when it comes to that cause I am always tweaking up and down .0001 at a time(no that is not an accidental extra zero) and when I load a lot of ammo every round has to be perfect. And I figure that I will continue to tweak and adjust as the throat and bore continue to wear.:dunno:

My point of frustration now is what else to work on and where to start! Over the last two years I have aquired about 9 different rifles that I need to work loads up but don't have a clue where to start. Do keep as I have and just start a couple loads for a few different rifles and work up a little at a time or do I just pick one and go all out until I'm finished?

I guess I'll just have to agree with hc4sar and say
    Your done when your widow sells your toys,and not until !

:draw:

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    reloading

If you think the 168 Bergers shoot good step up to the 175VLD's!:D

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever move on, and I think that will be my problem. In my Mod. 70 308 I am always tweaking, I have settled on one bullet(175grVLD), and I think that I have found the right charge for the lot of powder I am using right now, but I am always tweaking with the seating length. I must say I am anal when it comes to that cause I am always tweaking up and down .0001 at a time(no that is not an accidental extra zero) and when I load a lot of ammo every round has to be perfect. And I figure that I will continue to tweak and adjust as the throat and bore continue to wear.:dunno:

My point of frustration now is what else to work on and where to start! Over the last two years I have aquired about 9 different rifles that I need to work loads up but don't have a clue where to start. Do keep as I have and just start a couple loads for a few different rifles and work up a little at a time or do I just pick one and go all out until I'm finished?

I guess I'll just have to agree with hc4sar and say

:draw:
    it amazes me what seating length will do. started at 2.80 went as far out as 2.90. lots of loads inbetween. trying to find a good middle ground for 2 different savages without having different ammo for both guns. try that some time. found different loads that will shoot .5 5shots in both guns. the .5 load for his does .75 in mine. mine a model 10fp seems to like a 2.88 oal. his likes a 2.8. go fiqure.

Top Bottom