• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Well...my local club is having a rifle shoot in a couple weeks, a "sniper rifle" match so to speak so I thought I should get some ammo loaded for my Remington 700. Tumbled the brass last night. Dug out all the components this morning. Set the sizing/depriming die in the big Hollywood, slid a brass into the shell holder, and promptly stuck the brass in the die. The wrong shellholder had gotten into the die storage holder for my 22 Cheetah dies. Got that solved, sized and deprimed my brass. I hand set all the primers and then using a Pact auto powder measure added powder to all the rounds. Finally capped them with a 55 Grain Hornady V-Max. The results? 50 little ICBMs of coyote annihilation.

I will shoot a group of 5 later to check but this load has been a proven performer in the past an is what I am sighted in for...looking forward to duplicating some of my better 1/4 inch groups on shoot day.

chee1.jpg

chee3.jpg

The rifle...

che4.jpg

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Very well done, they look great. That 55gn Vmax isn't seated very deeply, is it?. That bullet must be a screamer with 42gns of powder behind it.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The bullet is seated to the bottom of the neck and is just kissing the rifling, that load gives me about 4300fps with the 55gr VMax if I remember correctly. I am using the old Remington 308BR case for this, I have found the small primer gives better accuracy and the cases are very uniform.

I would add I have never had that load exit a coyote or groundhog. Just a 22 caliber hole and turns everything inside to liquid.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The 22 CHeetah was a collaboration between Jim Carmichel and Fred Huntington back in the late 70's. They took the .308 BR case and necked it down to .223 to create a round that would outspeed the .220 Swift. Now you can buy 22 CHeetah brass from Quality Cartridge but I haven't tried it yet. My rifle has taken over 1200 coyotes and a largish number of groundhogs in it's career. The barrel has been set back once due to throat erosion and is getting close to needing a new barrel again as groups are now running over a quarter inch.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    With a 100 yard zero I have about a 1 1/2 inch drop at 200, 3 3/4 at 300. The target turrets on the Weaver T-10 are great for eliminating drop.

btw...if the temps outside are over 85 I will have to keep the ammo in a cooler to keep pressures from spiking...lol.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Hadn't seen those...haven't bought rifle powder for a while either...lol.

Interesting cartridge, got a 22 CHeetah in my cartridge collection.

There are 2 22 Cheetah's, the Mark I and Mark II, difference in the degree of the shoulder. Mine is a Mark II with a 28 degree shoulder while the Mark I has a 40 degree shoulder. The II has slightly more case capacity.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    +1 on the hodgen extream. i was loading with h414 and got somthing like 90 fps diffrence between load development @80ish degrees and shooting a coyote @ 5ish degrees.

i switched to h-4350 and now have about 10 degree spread in the same temp range

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I hear that Bobcat Steel is the $hit. It makes the same 'pa-ting' in 90degrees or 5degrees. That's what I heard anyway. Probably not true. :D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Well...I looked at Hodgdon's website. The H4350 looks good but does not give the velocities I am getting currently. It is the only "Extreme" powder they show loads for in 22CHeetah. Of course Max loads have slowly decreased over the years as liability lawsuits has increased. I may try the H4350 and settle for less velocity (4000-4100) as long as the accuracy doesn't suffer. Hodgdon's doesn't list primers used either, currently I use CCI small rifle magnum. Still might be worth playing with.

Top Bottom