Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Just a thought Que. I always like to try to buy from someplace that helps the community. Do they have any Habitat for Humanity Restore's in your area. I know that any money made goes to help build someone a home.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    That's one solid looking bench. Did you put a shelf unit on top? Is the table top made of 2x4's placed side-by-side? What are the lower shelves made from? If you don't mind, how much did you invest in the wood?

i didn't use the shelf. I keep powder up there. The top is 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood. The other shelves are half inch plywood. If i had to do it again i would have gone with MDF and probably one inch thick for the top. That cabinet grade piece cost me $40 and was a big part of the $100 in wood from Lowes for the project. Very happy with it overall.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    My reloading bench is a heavy old office desk that was bought at auction for $1. The drawers are really nice for storage of books and components. Keep your eyes open and something will turn up.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I know you said you didn't want to BUILD it yourself, but how about cut and assemble?

Cabela's -- 2x4 Basics® Bench Kit

I looked at this the other day and doesn't look too bad... Can determine your own length and width, and the legs and shelf holders are already done, which is usually the hard part.

Sorry for Rezzing this one (kinda) but I found some new info on this bench if anyone is considering it (like me).

They can be ordered through Menards for $20 cheaper than Cabelas, and free shipping (likely to your local store), they also have a good website with images of what customers have done with them, including reloading benches...

I plan on getting a kit and using a hardwood veneer plywood top stained and polyurethaned when I get my space cleared out...

Shoulda checked the other posts, looks like Amazon has them even cheaper, but the shipping might cancel the savings to get it local at a Menards...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Just saw a bench at menard's in Avon. It's got some seriously sturdy looking steel legs on it and you only add your own top. I think it was about $70. That and a sheet of 1" plywood and you could have a sturdy, cheap reloading bench with very little work!

Doug K

Life Member

Marksman
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Goshen
    How about a kit. I got mine from Minards. A very sturdy work bench. Pre cut lumber, screws, and instructions. 80 bucks. 2 feet by 6 feet by 34 inches high. I have a dillon SDB mounded on it. I use a bar stool to sit on when loading. I could send you a pic if you want to see it. Bryon

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I just got a flyer from Harbor Freight and on page 3 they have a coupon for a 60" solid oak workbench with 4 drawers (lot # 93454) for $139.99. I would consider going that route before building my own, if I were needing one.
    The coupon should be available in-store, as they always have flyers when you enter the store.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I just got a flyer from Harbor Freight and on page 3 they have a coupon for a 60" solid oak workbench with 4 drawers (lot # 93454) for $139.99. I would consider going that route before building my own, if I were needing one.
    The coupon should be available in-store, as they always have flyers when you enter the store.

Hope its sturdier than the rest of the stuff I've bought from Harbor Freight. :D

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Go to Lowes (or your other favorite home improvement store), buy a kitchen counter of the size you want, and get a laminate top. To save money you can get a dent/scratch, or like I did, hit the garage sales. Kitchen counters are the right height, the top is solid enough for a press, flat, choice of doors, shelves, and drawers, and as I got a used one, way cheaper than a cabinet made for reloading. More stable than anything else I've used. I wasn't impressed with a workbench. You put so much pressure on one end of the thing that the workbenches can actually tip up, but the kitchen cabinet is heavy enough it holds.

b j

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    south side of indy
    My wife wanted a new cabnet in the bath,so i replaced my old broke down metal bench with the old bath cabnet and 2 3/4 in plywood top and have lots of room underneath.

Top Bottom