• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Powder (pistol/rifle), primers (pistol/rifle), bullets (fmj plinking). I've never bought from a local shop because the mark-up is too high. $22-$28 for 1lb of powder, $34-37 for 1k primers, and $17.99 per 100 bullets of 115gn fmj for my 9mm...

For $20 I can buy 100 rounds of 9mm live factory ammo in brass cases. There was no discount at this store for buying in larger quantities. If you reload to save money, you just can't do it that way.

Please post a link to the store where you paid $20 for 100 rounds of 9mm.

I can load 124gr XTP rounds for less than $20/100, plus I get the added benefit of a hobby I truly enjoy. I buy powder in bulk so it's no more than about $18/lb and I'm paying ~$30 for 1K primers. The 124gr XTP bullets run about $17/100, but if you buy the Hornady 124gr FMJ in bulk, you can get them for ~$12.40/100.

I will freely admit that 9mm is THE hardest round to save money on while reloading, but it is still possible to save roughly 40% over factory ammo, particularly when you are comparing apples to apples!

If you don't care to reload, that's cool with me, but don't try to say it's not going to save you money or let you shoot more for the same $$. Those of us who DO reload, know better. ;)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    wsenefeld is right about buying stuff by the 100, those sample packs at pretty expensive. They are really for experimentation purposes, not bulk reloading. Once you work up a load you like with the more expensive components, the next step is purchasing in bulk. That is when the savings comes in. Also we need to compare apples to apples, ammo with generic FMJ bullets are probably going to be cheaper than reloads with premium specialty bullets. If you set out to buy factory ammo with the same high end bullets that will not be the case.

I reload my rifle ammo to meet or exceed Federal Gold Medal match ammo, I really do not care that I can get some commie bulk pack combat ammo cheaper. In .308 I am shooting the top notch ammo and saving $1 per round.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    what about Presses and other related equipment or am I just looking in the wrong places :dunno:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Ever since A to Z went out, The only place in Indy that sales equipment (other than dies) that I can think of is Gander Mountain.

Does Indiana Gun Club still carry pistol primers and powder, or do they just carry shotgun supplies now?

The last couple times I've bought lead bullets, they came from a guy at who had a table set up at the 1500.

I miss the days when I could buy bulk jacketed pistol bullets from Star Ammunition.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    The guy who owned Star retired and sold his equipment. My brother and I bought out the last couple K of 9mm and 40 he had.

Did A to Z go out, or just close the Indy location? For some reason I thought they still came to the 1500, maybe not anymore.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Please post a link to the store where you paid $20 for 100 rounds of 9mm.

I can load 124gr XTP rounds for less than $20/100, plus I get the added benefit of a hobby I truly enjoy. I buy powder in bulk so it's no more than about $18/lb and I'm paying ~$30 for 1K primers. The 124gr XTP bullets run about $17/100, but if you buy the Hornady 124gr FMJ in bulk, you can get them for ~$12.40/100.

I will freely admit that 9mm is THE hardest round to save money on while reloading, but it is still possible to save roughly 40% over factory ammo, particularly when you are comparing apples to apples!

If you don't care to reload, that's cool with me, but don't try to say it's not going to save you money or let you shoot more for the same $$. Those of us who DO reload, know better. ;)

I never said you couldn't save money reloading. I said that if you bought all of your components at this local store, it was going to cost more than live factory ammo.

Don't need to post a link to that ammo either, my local Walmart in Lebanon sells 100 round boxes of federal fmj 9mm for $19.97.

I buy in bulk online or from other INGO members, most I've ever reloaded 1k of 9mm for is $120. Obviously that's lower than factory but none of that is from a local store...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The guy who owned Star retired and sold his equipment. My brother and I bought out the last couple K of 9mm and 40 he had.

Did A to Z go out, or just close the Indy location? For some reason I thought they still came to the 1500, maybe not anymore.
    A to Z, is gone, they moved out west, off of I-70 and 243, and then closed ..... I went out there once ... They haven't been to the 1500, in years ... so sad ... My brother and I also bought a BUNCH of .44, .45, and 9mm, B4 Star went out ...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom