• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a MEC 600 Jr. press. It's not the fastest, but it allows me to make good shells. The critical part to making good shells is to start with high quality plastic hulls. The final stage of the process involves restoring the crimp to the shell. There are 6 point and 8 point star crimps. The proper insert for your empty shell will insure that your crimp will stay in place. You would be well-advised to get a reloading manual that lays out the procedure for loading shotgun shells and also gives various "loads" of using different powders, primers, plastic hulls, wads and shot sizes and charges.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Mec

The Mec series of presses are well built and will last a lifetime. I have them in .410, 28, 20 and 12 ga.

Shot charge and powder weight are controlled by the charge bar and the particular bushing that you insert into the bar for powder.

The empty hull and wad are placed on the appropriate station by hand. On the 600 series presses, the shell is moved from station to station by hand. The progressive presses move the shell automatically when the handle is pulled.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    MEC is the gold standard for beginner presses. I started with a MEC Sizemaster. Decided on this over the 600 because it has a collet sizer, which does a better job of sizing steel base hulls. I reload Remington Gun Club steel base one-piece hulls. They are plentiful and will give you 8-10 good reloads before you need to toss them. The shell is closed as the last step, and in that step the end of the shell is folded in and crimped. You will want to pick up one of the good reference books on reloading shotshells, and you'll want to use well defined loads from the powder suppliers. Don't change ANY components from what the recipe says unless you are sure you know what you're doing.

204john

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Greenfield
    Mec is the best i've ever used and if you buy a new on it has the set up instructions with it. the 600 jr will last i've had mine since the 70s and the only thing i had to replace was the wad fingers less than a buck...

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Mec is the best i've ever used and if you buy a new on it has the set up instructions with it. the 600 jr will last i've had mine since the 70s and the only thing i had to replace was the wad fingers less than a buck...

+1 Mec is the best I've ever used too. Of course it's all I've ever used.:D
    I have three of them.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    MEC is the way to go for shotshell reloaders. I've got two and had another which I gave to a friend. I've reloaded a few shells on a Lee shotshell reloader but I wouldn't buy one. Before you buy a press, though, get Lyman's book on shotshell reloading and spend a couple of evenings on the couch with that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    MEC guy here, I have one for each caliber. The JR's are good reliable presses. The Grabber progerssive is nice for high volume loading, plus the collet sizer is a great system and keeps the hulls reliable even in semi autos if you are getting used hulls that were shot in loose chamber guns.

There is one consideration when setting up a MEC JR. I never select a powder bushing without weighing the charge it actually throws. When the MEC JR is being used, you actually work the handle 5 times per shell. This makes the powder pack in the bushing, resulting in a little more powder than a single stroke would throw. When you weigh the powder, be sure to work the handle 5 times between each time you check the powder throw with the your scale.

The progressive MEC's, like my Grabber or a 9000, throw powder every time you work the handle, so the powder does not pack. I actually use a different bushing on the MEC progressive than I do on the JR to make the same load.

I would think that the LEE shotshell loaderwould be the same way, as the whole top of the press slides up and down several times per shell.

Find a shell you like and stick with it. Some guys like Federal Gold Medals hulls that need a wad designed just for those hulls. I used to load only Winchester AA's when they were a single piece compression molded hull. Since they changed the design, I have gone to Remington STS or Nitro hulls only. Of course that means I use a different wad also (TGT12 or figure8's), but I never have troubles with my reloads. Good Luck

Top Bottom