Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

:rockwoot:

vaultdoor.jpg
    hmmm....what if somebody accidentally/purposely locked you in? can you open from inside?

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Wow I do like the idea of the safe door would you be willing to share some information on the install and how it opens from inside

Sure. The door was built by Smith Security out of Ohio. The door itself is a "standard" safe door. Electronic combo lock on the outside (unless you want something different) with locking pins along the top,bottom and non hinge side.

To open the door from the inside, you access the internals of the door by opening the 2 panels on the inside, pulling 2 pins and turning the handle from the inside unlocking the door. There are also a few different secondary safeties built within the door that keep anyone trying to force their way in, out.

I may or may not have added a few of my own ideas to make it more difficult to keep people who I want out, to stay out.

:):

ETA: I forgot the install part.

I had a guy that Doug at Smith uses for install and delivery. When I built the house I had the door being built. When the foundation was done I had him deliver and install the door. It took him longer to drive here than it did to do the install. A small crane ( boom from the shingle truck will also work) and about 45 minutes the door was in place. The most critical part is to make sure that the door is covered during the week or two that it will take your builder to get the ceiling of the room and floor of the house done to keep it out of the weather.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Had a friend of a friend that did this. Thought everything was super safe. (no pun intended) His step son ran his mouth. Came home to find the floor had a chain saw taken to it and all his guns gone. If I were to do this I would want it to sit outside of my actual house foot print with stress core slabs on top.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Had a friend of a friend that did this. Thought everything was super safe. (no pun intended) His step son ran his mouth. Came home to find the floor had a chain saw taken to it and all his guns gone. If I were to do this I would want it to sit outside of my actual house foot print with stress core slabs on top.

Not a chainsaw on the planet that will be able to cut through the ceiling of that thing.
    ;)

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012

Why in the world would you spend all that money to buy a safe door, just to leave the ceiling wood frame?

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I know. I didn't get it either. You just can't fix stupid. I put it right up there with building massive door frames and using steel doors on your house. Then installing windows. False security.

Lawman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Brown County
    Hello,
    I'm looking to get into reloading, several pistol caliber's and maybe later 223.
    I would like a quality progressive press but ski is NOT the limit. Any suggestion?
    Thanks for any input.
    Lawman

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Hello,
    I'm looking to get into reloading, several pistol caliber's and maybe later 223.
    I would like a quality progressive press but ski is NOT the limit. Any suggestion?
    Thanks for any input.
    Lawman

Awhile back I chronicled my introduction to reloading. Everyone's goals and approach are different, but this might help a bit.

Getting_into_reloading

I suggest a single stage press to begin. After you're comfortable with that and if your shooting needs support it, a move to a progressive is great. You'll always have uses for the single stage for small runs and quick 'fix-ups'.

I also recommend taking the Intro to Reloading offered by Profire Arms in Indianapolis or at least spend some time with an experienced reloader. It's much easier to learn from someone than to do it all from a book. It's possible, but more challenging.

Best of luck!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    wow my room is so messy that if I loose a small part it is easier for me to order one and have UPS bring it. I usually order a spare and then when I go to put it away I find the original. go figure.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    wow my room is so messy that if I loose a small part it is easier for me to order one and have UPS bring it. I usually order a spare and then when I go to put it away I find the original. go figure.

Story of my life. Ive found every Glock spring cup that I have launched into low Earth orbit in the last 6 months.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom