Reloading Misadventures - Post your Whoops moments.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    no booms.....just was ruunin' a few 380's in single stage and ran the decap pin in my finger:xmad::xmad:

I also have done this. Started neck sizing my 10mm and had the decaping pin protruding further from the sizing ring than standard. I got in a grove and got going to fast when I had one that didn't get on the shell holder far enough. When I went to push it the rest of the way in my other hand went ahead and pushed it up while my index finger was in the way. I actually thought the case had cut into my finger at first. It didn't hurt right a way either, but dang it was sure sore for a couple weeks while the scar channel worked it way to the outer layer of skin. Sure hope I never do that again.

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    I just started reloading, and although I will never make any of these mistakes, I truly appreciate you guys sharing yours. :)

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    When I was a kid, Dad had me use a Lee Hand primer for .45acp. I was sitting in front of the TV. Every one I watched go in from the top. Never heard of safety glasses back then. Was lucky. Fast forward to a couple of years ago when I got into reloading for myself. As I was reading up on it and came across a couple of warnings. I called my Dad and told him he was an idiot and hung up. He called me back and once I cooled down, we laughed about it. Needless to say I am a bit more cautious. Especially with MY KIDS. And there is no TV anywhere near my bench!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    The only oops moment I've had so far is loading up a 20 round batch of 26.5 grains of H335 for .223, a full grain and a half over max, I realized it 20 rds in that I was on the wrong page in my reloading book and looking at the wrong caliber. dooh

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I just started reloading, and although I will never make any of these mistakes, I truly appreciate you guys sharing yours. :)

Oh you say that now, I guarantee you will make a mistake somewhere down the line, not matter how careful you think you are, you're still human, mistakes will happen, the key is making sure you catch them before they go bang. :D

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

You're fairly new around here, but when you're using sarcasm, you're supposed to switch to a purple font. :D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Started neck sizing my 10mm

^^^Not to Jack the thread, but I always want to learn?

What's up with "Neck Sizing my 10MM"??

If I do not Full Length size my 10MM cases they will not fit G-20 OR case gauge??..Bill

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    ^^^^^^

I also have done this. Started neck sizing my 10mm and had the decaping pin protruding further from the sizing ring than standard. I got in a grove and got going to fast when I had one that didn't get on the shell holder far enough. When I went to push it the rest of the way in my other hand went ahead and pushed it up while my index finger was in the way. I actually thought the case had cut into my finger at first. It didn't hurt right a way either, but dang it was sure sore for a couple weeks while the scar channel worked it way to the outer layer of skin. Sure hope I never do that again.

Sorry here is the post..Bill.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    :hijack:
    Bill,
    I have a Lee 4 die set. It's just my personal preference, but I don't like how the sizer die gives good bullet tension but sizes the entire case much smaller then needed to chamber. It's more steps, but what I do is send the case through the factory crimp die (with max diameter sizer) as a pass through. This resizes the case close to the max diameter that will fit in the chamber. Then I use my adjusted sizer/decapping die to only size about 1/4" of the neck to get proper bullet tension. When you seat the bullet it pushes the case neck back out to about where I left the rest of the case. Looks much nicer and is not so sloppy in the chamber. I do actually resize the entire case, I just don't use the decapper die to do it.

P3140084.jpg

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    So far my two reloading mess ups are:

A 30-06 round with no powder, just primer and a seated bullet. Wasn't loaded by me, came with a rifle I bought. Good thing I got off the fence and pulled them all.

Next was after spending a couple hours loading up multiple .300blk loads for testing, 10 different loads 5 of each and put them all in a nice RCBS .223 ammo box. On the way to the range the box tipped over and they all got mixed up. So now I get to go back through and load all over again :(. It is easy enough to separate the subs from the supers but beyond that I have no way to tell which powders/grains each is.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    So far my two reloading mess ups are:

A 30-06 round with no powder, just primer and a seated bullet. Wasn't loaded by me, came with a rifle I bought. Good thing I got off the fence and pulled them all.

Next was after spending a couple hours loading up multiple .300blk loads for testing, 10 different loads 5 of each and put them all in a nice RCBS .223 ammo box. On the way to the range the box tipped over and they all got mixed up. So now I get to go back through and load all over again :(. It is easy enough to separate the subs from the supers but beyond that I have no way to tell which powders/grains each is.
    I've done that. Arrrrrgh. Have started marking bases with a sharpie.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I started reloading somewhere around 1986. The original shoes gun Rack was where I got all my stuff. Purchased a hornady manual and started reading. My 1st few years of loading where all. 220 swift. No mishaps thus far. I triple check everything without fail.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Been fortunate so far... Never damaged a gun or even stuck one in the barrel...

Always double check everything at the bench... It's after loading where I have made the mistakes... The same one multiple times... returning the remaining powder from the hopper to the wrong container... :xmad: Hardly a year goes by where I don't spread probably at least a half pound over the garden...

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have caught several fingertips in case mouths resulting in unique "carp-mouth" shaped
    wounds.
    Have loaded powderless shot shells( easy to spot, shot goes out, wad stays in barrel)
    don't reload when distracted or tired...
    Started out on Lee Loader. First batch of .38s I got bored while pounding primers in
    and leaned back in my chair. This changed the angle of my strike resulting in a popped
    primer...which sent me arse-over-backwards onto the dining room floor.
    The wife was mad till she walked in and saw me on my back...which resulted in laughter
    for her. I bought a Lee hand primer shortly after.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Wife was shooting her LCR for the first time with .38spl SWC's I had loaded. She couldn't pull the trigger all of the way back. I could have blamed her for having small, weak girl hands. But, apparently her husband weak-handed a couple of primers.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Have loaded powderless shot shells( easy to spot, shot goes out, wad stays in barrel)
    don't reload when distracted or tired...
    I have "tried" to load a couple shot shells with out a primer. They are also easy to spot when the powder poors out all over the floor when going to the next station on my load all.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I just put my first piece of brass through my brand new hornady sizing die and destroyed the decaping pin and bend the shaft because I didn't realize I had a berdan primed 7.62x39 and not a boxer. I didn't even notice the added force due to the neck and shoulder being converted to 6.5 Grendel at that portion of stroke. I knew something had gone wrong when the newly sized case neck had about a 10 degree angle to it from the bent expander coming back through it. Oh well :dunno: Live and learn.

What die do you have? I thought the capping pin was in a collet and was supposed to let go?

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    What die do you have? I thought the capping pin was in a collet and was supposed to let go?

It's got their zip spindle set up. When you tighten up the collet enough to keep it from spinning, there is no way it's going to slip up when it gets to much force.

Top Bottom