• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I like that last part there _jm, very well put indeed!

I would rep you but.................

At any rate, here is something to ponder for the "time concious" folks.
    My son and I talked today and he said he would like to go to the range. He is one of those, gun rich, ammo poor type of fellows most of the time and I am only too glad to help him out. Read the other post about family, yada, yada. So, he calls. I look in the 45ACP bin(figuratively) and see I am low on the type of ammo he usually runs through his Glock 21SF. A 230gr ball type ammo @ 800 to 820fps. Its all hands on deck, so to speak as I am baching it this weekend and I head to the reloading room.

Fire up the Dillon XL650, fill the primer tube, fill the powder hopper and begin to crank the handle. 16 minutes on the nose and I had 200, that's right, 200 rounds of quality, 45ACP ammunition that will make that Glock sing in his hands! (I hate it that he is a better shot than me now!)

@ what I get paid an hour on my normal 0700 to 1530 blue collar, union trades job, that added just $7.82 to the cost of that ammo. Now, granted, what I loaded today is not the same as the $1.50 stuff that I mention above BUT that additional cost is spread out over 200 rounds! IMAGINE!

Cases were still free. Bullets were purchased plated. (That about kills me too! ;) ) Powder just a tad differet than normal but still, all in all, pretty cheap ammo and if you forgot my statement that _jm says I say so eloquently, I could repeat it..................just in case! ;)

Even with the additional cost of the purchase bullets, that comes to $8.62/50. What is the cost of WWB per 100?
    From WalMart.com
    Winchester 45 Automatic 230 Grain USA Full Metal Jacket

Had to call the local store to get a price. $35.97/100. So, for the same 200 rounds that I just got done making, that would be $71.94 and that is for the cheap stuff. Oh, and by the way, they were out of stock and it shows no WalMart in the area has any either, please refer to my earlier statement.

Ok, now, can you save money reloading EVEN if you figure in your time? You be the judge.
    Cost of 50 rounds of my homemade ammo: $8.62 or $34.48/200. Add in the cost for my 16 of $7.82 for all of those rounds and.....................it comes to............wait for it.........................$42.30/200 rounds of quality boutique custom made ammo!

So, subtracting the $42.30 from the $71.94 means a savings of $29.67 and that doesn't take into consideration, to be fair mind you, the time you spent in driving, the cost of gas to get there, the cost of gas to get home, the cost of your time to drive both ways, nor the time spent in frustration in having to deal with the register clerk at a typical Wally World......................

So, the answer to your question is pretty simple really. Yes, even in figuring your time in to your reloads, you can save money doing so.

Just another reason that I haven't bought ammo in 15 years or more unless I needed cases so I could reload.............

Just sayin' :D

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have spent close to $2,000 on my equipment/supplies and after producing the first live round, it paid for itself. The satisfaction of reloading is incalculable.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    ;) In the long run it would be "without a doubt" to your advantage to reload IMO. If for some strange reason you don't get addicted to it. You can always sell your gear here.....

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    ;) In the long run it would be "without a doubt" to your advantage to reload IMO. If for some strange reason you don't get addicted to it. You can always sell your gear here.....
    This may be true, but from what I have found, I would end up paying MORE for the ammo I am loading and just storing in a can on the shelf than I would for the ammo I am buying and just storing in a can on the shelf.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    This may be true, but from what I have found, I would end up paying MORE for the ammo I am loading and just storing in a can on the shelf than I would for the ammo I am buying and just storing in a can on the shelf.
    OH, OK, I've never reloaded to save money though. I've always enjoyed the science of custom making my own ammo. Good luck in which ever way u decide. :D

hockey3236

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    as most have said it is a comfort when i can sit for an hour or two and reload my calibers (30-30,40sw) and as far as the cost of the dies it is usually no more than one med priced dinner with ur other

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I recently got into reloading with the goal of simply saving money. I had no idea how much fun I would have obsessing over brass, OAL, powder types and loads, various projectile characteristics, etc etc. It has turned out to be a really enjoyable hobby in itself, not just a means to an end.

Before reloading, I paid a lot of attention to the various characteristics of my guns and loved buying/selling them and trying out different models. Now that I reload, I see guns as nothing more than tools to test and perfect my reloads. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I recently got into reloading with the goal of simply saving money. I had no idea how much fun I would have obsessing over brass, OAL, powder types and loads, various projectile characteristics, etc etc. It has turned out to be a really enjoyable hobby in itself, not just a means to an end.

Before reloading, I paid a lot of attention to the various characteristics of my guns and loved buying/selling them and trying out different models. Now that I reload, I see guns as nothing more than tools to test and perfect my reloads. :)

Now there is a guy who "gets it"! Kudos, IndyMike! :yesway:

If a new gun is something you look forward to testing out and shooting and hunting with, reloading for it adds another big puzzle to work out. This is like the guy who really likes upland bird hunting, and then he gets his first GSHP or Springer Spaniel...all of a sudden, the hunting becomes secondary to watching a great dog at work.

Reloading really is a very challenging and rewarding hobby. Guys who reload almost always understand guns, ballistics and how to diagnose a problem better than otherwise serious hunters/shooters who buy their ammo off the shelf. Reloaders often shoot a lot better, too! ;)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

:+1:

Top Bottom