• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have been throwing around the idea of starting to roll my own. With the calibers I have, I am guessing I would only be interested in 9mm and .223/5.56. I figure it would give me something to do in my spare time (spare time...? :):) and might end up saving me money down the road. Not to mention having the obvious ability to load my own ammo.

This might be a difficult question to answer, but how many rounds would I need to load before I broke even on my equipment? I'm not looking to load anything "special" or match grade, just basic rounds that would be comparable to what you would buy at the store (WWB 9mm, Silver Bear .223, etc). Let's also say I went with a basic reloading setup (examples would be a plus) and we overlook what my time might be worth.

:dunno:

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    First get a list of the materials you need and the equipment you want to buy. Then using the loading material you can figure out about how many cents a shot it will cost you to reload. There is a real nice calculator to do this on Handloads.com. Then add in the cost of the press and stuff you will have to buy.
    Usually most larger calibers can be loaded for .15. - .25 cents a shot I would say ??? Ball park. And as you say its a hobby to most of us, I enjoy the reloading part and you know exactly what you are shooting all the time.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    OK let's say Federal XM193 is $6/20 rounds... that's $300/1k.

Let's assume you don't buy stuff on sale.
    Let's also say you can load your brass five times (a low number, but you have to start somewhere) and you buy new brass instead of picking it up at the range.
    Let's say you buy your other components in bulk (1000pc)

200 pieces of brass = $50
    1k primers = $30
    1k bullets (55gr FMJ) = $90
    4lb of H4895 = $164/2 = $82
    A Lee reloading kit = $100
    .223 Rem Dies = $33
    Total = $385 for your first thousand.

Your second thousand would be $252. If you had to buy new brass.

You picked the hardest two calibers to save money on though.

.380 ACP = $20/50... I reload for ~$6/50
    .38 SPL = $16/50... I reload for ~$6/50
    .40 S&W = $18/50... I reload for ~$8/50
    .308 Win FGMM = $20/20... I reload for ~$12/20

Just reloading .308 match ammo you can pay for a kit and dies after just ~340 rounds.
    Just .40S&W... ~670 rounds.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Another little fact to muddy your waters. You can't really compared hand rolled to the cheap stuff. Once you get a load dialed in, you are exceeding a lot of ammo out there.

Ok, I can't take it. You will never break even.:D There will always be another piece of reloading gear out there, The time you will spend meticulously going over your brass, and you cost to get bailed out when your dam brother in law just snaps off a 30rd magazine of your hand loaded beauties.

It is worth it to get into reloading.IMHO

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    OK let's say Federal XM193 is $6/20 rounds... that's $300/1k.

Let's assume you don't buy stuff on sale.
    Let's also say you can load your brass five times (a low number, but you have to start somewhere) and you buy new brass instead of picking it up at the range.
    Let's say you buy your other components in bulk (1000pc)

200 pieces of brass = $50
    1k primers = $30
    1k bullets (55gr FMJ) = $90
    4lb of H4895 = $164/2 = $82
    A Lee reloading kit = $100
    .223 Rem Dies = $33
    Total = $385 for your first thousand.

Your second thousand would be $252. If you had to buy new brass.

You picked the hardest two calibers to save money on though.

.380 ACP = $20/50... I reload for ~$6/50
    .38 SPL = $16/50... I reload for ~$6/50
    .40 S&W = $18/50... I reload for ~$8/50
    .308 Win FGMM = $20/20... I reload for ~$12/20

Just reloading .308 match ammo you can pay for a kit and dies after just ~340 rounds.
    Just .40S&W... ~670 rounds.
    I think your math is off. At 200pcs of brass for $50, that's $250 right out of the gate. I don't think you took the $50 x 5.

I just used the Handloads calculator and basically came up with $13.xx per 50 rounds of 9mm. I'm guessing .223 wouldn't be much better than what I can buy it for now.

The reason I am looking at reloading 9mm and .223 is they are the rifles and handguns I have. I guess I just had to pick the two most pain in the ass calibers to use. :):

It looks like I will be better off just buying pre-made ammo, unless I start getting into different calibers.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I think your math is off. At 200pcs of brass for $50, that's $250 right out of the gate. I don't think you took the $50 x 5.

I just used the Handloads calculator and basically came up with $13.xx per 50 rounds of 9mm. I'm guessing .223 wouldn't be much better than what I can buy it for now.

The reason I am looking at reloading 9mm and .223 is they are the rifles and handguns I have. I guess I just had to pick the two most pain in the ass calibers to use. :):

It looks like I will be better off just buying pre-made ammo, unless I start getting into different calibers.

I've purchased 1,000 once fired .223 brass for an average of $70. Now consider you can reload these about 10 times. So that means you divide $70 by 10. This means on your handload calculator you would only enter $7 per thousand in the brass section to calculate.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I've purchased 1,000 once fired .223 brass for an average of $70. Now consider you can reload these about 10 times. So that means you divide $70 by 10. This means on your handload calculator you would only enter $7 per thousand in the brass section to calculate.
    Ah, that makes a little more sense then.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have never figured the actual dollar amount. The ability to load better than factory rounds and work up a perfect load for my individual rifle is worth more to me than the money savings. The quarter inch groups at 100 yards are worth a lot to me!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The only way reloading is ever an economic advantage is by virtue of reloading the same case at least 5 times, possibly many more.

However, if ALL you're every going to reload are 9mm and 223, it will take a while to break even. The more expensive your reloading equipment is the more rounds you will have to load and shoot to break even. With a true progressive, that won't take as long but if you go with a simpler press, like a Lee Classic Turret, you'll break even in fewer rounds.

What your time is worth is hard to calculate. Personally, I enjoy reloading so it is like recreational time. Do you count the cost of your time when you go to a basketball game or spend a day fishing? That is how I view reloading. Still, it is a mistake to look at reloading as a way to save money or trying to determine your ROI. Reloading is a great hobby that has the fringe benefit of allowing you to enjoy another great hobby, at a reduced cost, or to enjoy shooting even more, at the same overall cost.

If you're a detail-oriented person who has come to realize you can usually do something better than a "pro" by doing it yourself, then I would respectfully suggest that you quit analyzing it to death and just get the basic equipment to reload. In a few short days you could be creating top-shelf ammo for a very reasonable cost, and you'll have the ability to do so for the rest of your life. I mean, seriously...what is there to think about?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I have never figured the actual dollar amount. The ability to load better than factory rounds and work up a perfect load for my individual rifle is worth more to me than the money savings. The quarter inch groups at 100 yards are worth a lot to me!

Agree 100%

To add to the above thought:

+1 With 9mm and .223 brass as with most popular calibers brass can
    be free at least always buy used.

+1 Most of the equipment is a one time buy. Suggest minimum turret press.

+1 So every year you reload the cost goes down.

+1 Adds to the shooting experience and makes a better shooter, IMO.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

No, it's right; I'm taking into account that I'm loading each piece of brass five times.

$25/100 pieces of new .223 brass. $50/200 of new brass. If you load the brass 5 times, that's 5x200=1000 rounds.

Once fired brass is even cheaper, but a lot of ".223" brass is mostly 5.56 brass or a mix, so you have to remove crimps from primer pockets... I'm not into that, so I get once fired brass that's all .223 or I buy new.

Like I said, 5x reloaded for new brass is a low number. 10x or 20x is not uncommon, especially for low pressure rounds, or if you neck size.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It's simple math:

Cost of press/liading equipment/dies/etc=a
    Cost of 1k primers=b
    Cost of Powder=d
    Cost of brass per 100=e
    Cost of bullets per 100=f

Assuming you know the powder loads (recommended) before hand, you can figure it out to loads per lb which I'm going to sat is T

Sooooo...,
    Cost of each cartridge=(b/1000) + (T/d) + (e/100) + (f/100)

Take that cost, and compare it to your regular ammo.

Cost 50 factory-50 handloads.

Take that and divide it into your total press/die investment and there you go.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'm going to say never if you enjoy it. Reloading is an additive & rewarding hobby all in it's own rights. I tell myself I save money but in reality there is always some new tool I want, a new caliber to load for or tweaking an already excellent round to try and make it just a little bit better. Then you have the whole "I can load cheaper than I can buy so I end up shooting more" so you really don't save, you just gained a new hobby and get to enjoy the old one even more.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    When I bought my initial reloading setup for 9mm only, I put everything in a spreadsheet and best-guess calculated 18-24 months to recoup my money based on how much I shoot. This year I haven't shot as much so it would take longer. It'll be pushed back more because I just bought everything I need to reload for .223. Maybe another couple years. The keys, in my mind, are...

1) My reloading equipment is quality stuff and will last a long time
    2) It's a fun extension of the hobby
    3) I can stock up on components and not worry about skyrocketing ammo prices. I've got enough things now for about 5000 9mm rounds and 2500 .223 rounds. November will bring another order before the big election...hopefully I could last all 4 years if I had to.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have figured up my cost on it and im saving about 10 cents per round on 9mm. Im also getting a better round for that price but lets not factor in that right now. I spent right at $300 on my reloading equipment and i shoot between 3000-4000 rounds a year. So at 3k rounds a year i pay off my equipment in 1 year. Now of course i will buy more things for reloading but as others have said i can survive ammo shortages and any other calibers reloaded save that much or more.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I agree that that realoading in many ways does not save money, especially if you start shooting more!

That being said, I got my reloading equipment a piece at a time in christmas and birthday gifts from various people over time, so my initial investment was very small.

One nice thing about reloading for 9mm is that I can always find lots of once fired brass lying around at the range I shoot at. Not many people pick it up.

Now .357mag, that's another story.....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have not calculated .223 yet. I'm reloading 50 rounds of 9mm for $6. That's at least $4 cheaper then the cheapest brass cased ammo. Not to mention it's more accurate than factory ammo. You really do not save money, you just shoot more.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    handloads.com has a calculator.

45ACP

I have used brass already, for all of the calibers I have. Cost: $0 (I also have a local indoor range that I can get free range brass.)

My primers for range fodder are Wolf Large Pistol. $17/1000 OR LESS STILL!

Several years ago, I learned to cast. Most of the lead I shoot is from free wheel weights. 200gr LSWC to 240gr SWC, the cost is the exact same, free, now. A box of 45ACP 230gr LRN goes for about $55 so even a mould that cost $200 can pay for itself in just a little under 2000 rounds. So, cost now, $0

My powder is Bullseye and from our local pusher is $18/lb. Put those numbers into the calculator and see what you come up with for a box of 50.

With a charge of 4.7gr, and with a 230gr LRN, that mimics a bunch of factory ammo, my figures come out to $1.50/50. Now, listen, even WWB is $20/100 or more (haven't bought ammo in quite a spell) and at those cost differences, it doesn't take long to pay for equipment and components.

The thing is, it will never be any cheaper, costs always go up. Another thing is this: I can have what I want, when I want, in the quantities I want for the cost I want and they are the ones that are specially tuned to my firearms. I know where they hit when I do x, y and z. All of that put together makes it a no brainer for me.

To have those options, the cost of that? Priceless...................................

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Economic advantage happens much quicker if you start getting into less popular rounds.

I inherited a 22 hornet rifle (BRNO Fox Mod 2 - essentially a CZ 527 with double set triggers) from my grandfather recently. The cheapest loaded ammunition is prvi partizan at @ $23/50, which is reloadable. Reloaded rounds only cost me about $.25 each, or a savings of about $.20 (not including shipping, which is a necessity since nobody stocks 22 hornet). Doing the math, I've recouped the cost of the lee dies after only 150 rounds, i.e. one trip to the range.

Top Bottom