• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have been reloading for my Sig P226 9mm for a few years with no concerns. I previously have used Rainier copper plated 115gr round nose bullets, W231 powder with WSP primers and mixed brass. Bullets shot well enough from the beginning but I wasn't making 1 hole groups like I obviously would like to. So I bought and tried some Hornady XTP 115gr hollow points. Again with W231 powder and WSP primers. Now they all group right on top of each other but they are about 1"-2" low right every shot. I have tried different seating depths, tried working up the powder load, tried to vary how much crimp I am applying, I am lost. I am more than happy with how they are grouping now I just need to figure out what to change to bring them on target. Is it a reload issue or do I just need to adjust my sights? I have sig night sights so I really wasn't wanting to have to change them like the owners manual says. Any help is appreciated. And thanks in advance.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    It's actually an issue with the bullets.

Rainier bullets are plated bullets, which are a lead swaged bullet with a very, VERY thin coating of copper on the exterior. A plated bullet is copper coated by dissolving copper ingots in a bath of acid and cyanide. The copper adheres at a molecular level to the lead bullets, creating a hair thin jacket. Plated bullets are very soft as well, and they dent when you drop them. They're nice to shoot (and reload) since there is no exposure to lead.

Hornady takes a lead slug and swages a copper jacked onto the exterior with significant pressure. This adheres a much thicker copper exterior to the bullet core, creating a better weight retention and mushroom effect when it hits soft tissue. It also makes for a much harder bullet.

So, with these loads, your reloading data is going to be significantly different. You'll need a heavier powder charge to push the jacketed bullet out of the barrel at the same tangent as the plated bullet. Just because they're the same bullet weight does not mean they have the same flight dynamics, the same friction generated on the barrel, or the same reloading data. Plated bullets should be loaded with lead bullet data, and XTP's need heavier loads - jacketed load data. These will be significantly different charges of powder.

I'm willing to bet that with accurate powder loading, you'll get a "one right on top of the other' grouping with the plated bullets. I can verify this happens, I do it all the time with my reloads. I don't spend the money on XTP's with personal loads, since they're only going to end up in the dirt anyway.

Try a different plated bullet. Perhaps you got a bad batch. If you're really stuck on paying for the XTP's, then increase your powder charge or adjust your sights. I'm willing to bet that it's just a matter of tweaking the powder measure for better groups.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Thanks Aszerigan, when I had priced out the bullets it was only $2 more for 100 of XTP compared to Rainier. I would save quite a bit if I bought another 1000 Rainier though. For my basic target plinking that I do I am planning on sticking with a plated bullet but I really just wanted to see if my inconsistent groups were due to my reloads, my gun or just me being a terrible shot :):. I found that with the XTPs I could definately hold a very good group it was just a little off center. I will play around with the powder load with the XTPs and see what I can do.

On another note, what other plated bullets are out there that might be or are better than Rainier? I have heard of Berry's but I don't have any experience with anything else.

And I probably should have the made the title different since its not necessarily strictly a Sig concern it sounds like.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I use Berry's a lot and I really like them. Since you can buy them directly from the manufacturer and get free shipping on orders over $50 (easy to do if you buy 1000!) it's a no brainer for me. I've used both their 124 gr 9mm RNs and 230 gr 45 acp RNs and have had zero problems with both. I typically run 4 gr of titegroup under my 124gr Berrys or XTPs and have not had any problems. I did have issues with Ramshot Zip in my 9mm loads, I was loading .2gr off max and almost every round jammed in my G17. Switched to Titegroup and it was 100%, so powder definitely does make a difference. That being said, I think Andrew is right and your original load was too soft. Happy shooting!

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those. I have never heard of Powerbond before. I will play around with my powder charge and see if I can find a sweet spot and go from there. I have always shot 115gr bullets from my 9mm, what will shooting a heavier or lighter bullet affect, or is it really just what your gun likes?

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I don't see that PowerBond is less expensive than Berry's.

For 9mm 115gr RN: 500 of Berry's is $46.34 (23.17 x 2 packed in 250) and PowerBond is $48.00. PowerBond has special for free shipping right now, Berry's is free over $50.

For the same bullet: 1K of Berry's is $76.12 and PowerBond is $93.00 (both ship free). That's a pretty big difference.

Seemed like Berry's has a better selection too (SWC, DEWC, etc).

What am I missing here?

Top Bottom