• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckyd46032

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I am in need of reloading classes. I have tried pro-fire many times but cannot reach anyone by phone. Everytime I call I get "the mailbox is full-hang up.
    Anybody know where I get become educated?
    Thanks in advance for the help

Chuck

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Andrew at Profire has an excellent reputation here for his shop and his classes. I have met him and he is a great guy and easy to talk to. You should be patient and keep trying to get in touch with him for official classes.

I have been handloading for about 35 years and I can tell you there is plenty of opportunity for disaster working without a tutor.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Get a couple of the common manuals and read the contents in the front. The Lyman and the Lee manuals are very informative.

Face it, you are only dealing with 4 components, case, primer, powder, and bullet.

The basic steps are depriming, resizing, usually done in one step. Repriming, then charging the case with powder. Finally inserting the bullet and crimping if desired.

Its not rocket science, fairly simple, and really not very dangerous, if it were the lawyers would have killed the industry years and years ago.

More people are probably hurt filling their lawnmower, and that is still a common practice.

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Agree with jcwit. Manuals and youtube. It's a lot of trial and error, just be conservative and start off slowly. Dillon also sells instructional videos though I have no idea how good they are.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I am in need of reloading classes. I have tried pro-fire many times but cannot reach anyone by phone. Everytime I call I get "the mailbox is full-hang up.

Chuck
    Wow! I have never had a problem calling Andrews shop during business hours and getting a person on the phone.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have been handloading for about 35 years and I can tell you there is plenty of opportunity for disaster working without a tutor.

I have been reloading since the mid 1960's. Read the instructions, follow the recipes, and PAY attention to what you're doing and you will have no problems.

Have any questions, ask here, many will be more than willing to answer, myself included.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Its not that hard. Youtube is your friend if your bs sensor works. Just be smart and do your homework. Its a blast when you shoot off your first handload.

And like the posts above say, feel free to ask anyone questions. We will help if we can.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Not to knock Andrew, or anyone who has taken a reloading class, but I'm going to make a somewhat unpopular statement, here:

If you can't read a book and follow VERY DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS, you probably shouldn't be reloading in the first place. Now, some guys will say they just don't learn from reading, but it is absolutely a requirement for ensuring that the load going into your cartridges is a safe one.

As mentioned above, buy the Lee and Lyman reloading manuals, and maybe the ABC's of Reloading. Read the instruction sections in each. If you don't "get it", reloading may not be for you. If you go learn with a hands-on class, then aren't able to read and understand a load recipe, reloading may be an unsafe activity for you to pursue.

If you read those books and come away thinking, "Oh...that's not so hard", then you're a few questions, a few hundred bucks, and a pile of components away from making your own ammunition. It ain't rocket science if a DA like ME can do it! ;)

gopwins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I taught myself reloading by watching Youtube videos. It worked pretty well. You would be surprised at how many fingers and toes I still have. :rockwoot:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Chuck

Where are you located, I have showed several people what I do ..... send me a pm .....

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    And for God's sake, don't rely on YouTube for this knowledge.... Really....

Really, because its really not that hard, Size, primer, charge, bullet as per printed instructions in manual.

I learned way back in the 60's with a Lee Loader and a hammer handle and a dipper. Got quite a few deer with that Lee Loader and reloaded ammo. All from a single sheet of instructions.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    As someone who taught himself, man those first few steps were scarrry! However having said that , since those steps its been a fun enjoyable hobby. My first book was modern reloading #1 that came with the reloading kit i bought, add dies, primers and bullets for a grand total of i think around 100 bucks. I literally loaded 1 round to shoot with some bought ammo the first time i went to the range. It went off with no probs and ever since im glad i got into reloading. Find a brand you like, buy their starter kit, and go from their. Remember its not a race, so take all the time you need to learn to do it right.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Reloading isn't difficult, you just need attention to detail, the proper equipment, and specs.
    Of course I grew up around it so my perception is different than someone who knows nothing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom