• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No more than you would use a bird shot cartridge in a pistol reloading them would probably not be that economical since they a pack of them are not that expensive. JMHO

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The only time this makes any sense is if you are walking in areas where you are under continual attack by snakes.

This load is not an effective self defense load against any two or four legged animal.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Great fun for bumble bees, will take out chipmunks to 30 feet or so, other than that about useless.

A cardboard wad over the powder, caseful of small shot, another wad and crimp. I add a little elmers glue over the top wad. Weigh your shot charge and use the apprpriate charge of fast burning powder, bullseye, Titegroup, etc.

Be prepared to scrub some lead from the bore.....

jim

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    There is a neat recipe for a 45 auto

I found this many years ago in an article. 45 ACP shotshells made from 308 rifle brass. It is a lengthy process to get the brass cut and formed the first time. Used a cut off 410 shotgun wad. These will cycle an auto. I have shot a few clay pigeons with them.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I found this many years ago in an article. 45 ACP shotshells made from 308 rifle brass. It is a lengthy process to get the brass cut and formed the first time. Used a cut off 410 shotgun wad. These will cycle an auto. I have shot a few clay pigeons with them.
    This sounds very interesting. Could we get a more detailed description of the process please?

~Bucky~

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'm guessing it would cycle in some autos better than others.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    This sounds very interesting. Could we get a more detailed description of the process please?

~Bucky~

RCBS sells the trim and size die. You trim and form .243,.308 or.358cases. Add powder, seat a trimmed .410 wad and fill with 115 grains of No. 9 shot and cap with a .38 gas check and crimp. 6.0 grains of WW231 works best. This will get you a 15-18" pattern at 30ft.

These have fuctioned in every 1911 I have ever tried them in (about a dozen).

I have load info for 700x, Green Dot, Unique and Bullseye if anyone is interested but the WW-231 is the way to go.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have load info for 700x, Green Dot, Unique and Bullseye if anyone is interested but the WW-231 is the way to go.
    jtb, thanks for the info. I enjoy making stuff like that. I sometimes get bored loading the same ol’ rounds and like making up something different like when I loaded up a batch of .410’s that were 1 ½” long. They’re impractical and don’t function too well in my pump but at least it keeps me off the streets.

I have very few Winchester powders on hand but I do have all of the Alliant Powders you mentioned. Some are labeled Hercules and those are the ones I need to use up. If you would, please post the data for the other powders you mentioned. Thanks.

~Bucky~

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No more than you would use a bird shot cartridge in a pistol reloading them would probably not be that economical since they a pack of them are not that expensive. JMHO

This. I also carry the first two cylinders loaded with snake shot when I'm in the woods. I bought a 10 pack of CCI .38 Specials about 4 years ago, and still have 8 of them. The other two were shot for fun and games. Unless you are using a whole bunch of these for rodent control or something similar, this is one load I just don't see being worth the time and trouble to reload.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The Speer Reloading Manuals, have loads listed... But, that would be bad, in a self defense sit...

Useful if snakes might be an issue, though. If you gotta defend yourself against a two legged critter, just shoot the first two real fast to get to the useful rounds. Against four legged critters, the noise from the first two might scare 'em off, which works as well or better than shooting them.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    jtb, thanks for the info. I enjoy making stuff like that. I sometimes get bored loading the same ol’ rounds and like making up something different like when I loaded up a batch of .410’s that were 1 ½” long. They’re impractical and don’t function too well in my pump but at least it keeps me off the streets.

I have very few Winchester powders on hand but I do have all of the Alliant Powders you mentioned. Some are labeled Hercules and those are the ones I need to use up. If you would, please post the data for the other powders you mentioned. Thanks.

~Bucky~

Of course your mileage may vary. Remember this is for at least 115 grains of shot with brass prepped and loaded per RCBS instructions and standard issue spring.

700x 4.5 gr. Moderately heavy recoil, clean burning pattern not so hot.

Green Dot 4.5 gr. mild recoil, clean burning patern large but even.

Unique 6.0 gr. normal recoil. poor pattern.

Bullseye 4.5 gr. normal recoil, can hardly call it a pattern.

Honestly none come close to the WW231 loads for performance on small four legged things.

jtb

Top Bottom