• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I've tweeked a plan I found online and I'll be building a 'workbench' in my garage for reloading purposes. My wife thinks its just a workbench right now!

Anyways, I'm wondering what fellow members who've built their own bench used for the table top? Do I really need a flat smooth surface, or will plywood work just fine?

If anyone's used plywood, is 3/4" enough to support a press? or will I need to double up with two layers?

Any other solutions members have used, I'm all ears as I'll be making a trip to Home Depot this weekend.

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    I just picked my top up at Lowe's. I am using a solid core exterior door, it's 32" X 80". Should make a real nice top and cost was $56.00

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I placed a piece of linoleum on mine, tacked it down and put corner bumpers on it. There are 2 x 6's under it and the bench works fine, but I build it like a brick shat house.

Check out my AR-50 sale ad and you can see the picture of the table top.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Had a solid core door also. Ran out of room, and shortened it then in a few years, more room became available again and replaced it with a new full length door. The 80 inches are plenty of room for a single stage and Lee turret press with room still for tumbler, scales and shelving in back.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    mine is built out os 2x12s and layed a 3/16 sheet os steel over it and had local fab shop cut and bend it. I am vary happy with it.I would say you will want something over the plywood allso on my old bench I was conserned about bolts on press pulling threw so I added a steel plate to bottom to reinforce.good luck with your bench:yesway:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've got 3/4" MDF on top of a 2x4 frame. I've usd large fender washers under the nuts to help keep them from pulling through. It works, but the MDF flexes a lot if you have to apply much pressure to the handle, such as in a full length size on a rifle case. It is just find for de-capping, flaring, seating, etc.

If I were to do it again (and I will be) I'm going to probably try to put a pretty solid block of wood (maybe some stacked 2x6's under the press) with longer bolts going all the way through.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Laminated red & white oak here.

One uses flooring out of semi trailers, 2.250" inches thick, the other is the scuff band that goes around the floor on the sides of the trailer, its about 7/8".

The 7/8" will flex when forming cases - not so much (at all) in normal full length sizing. The 2.250" is immovable.

Sam's Club has got a pretty nice laminated workbench right now for just under $200.

Sam's Club - Seville Commercial WorkBench

Its got a laminated maple top and weighs enough to be pretty stable once leveled up.

If you attached it to the wall or the floor, it would last a lifetime.

Can't hardly buy the top for that kind of money - generally Grizzly is among the cheapest:

Grizzly.com® -- Product Categories

Shipping can be a little rough.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i used a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 laminate cut in half and glued n screwed together.

P2050028.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i used 3/4 in plywood and that was a mistake. im currently waiting to remodel a house with a old oak door (or somthing similar) to replace it. if you are considering plywood it has to much give in it. imo

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My base is 3/4 plywood, then I screwed some of that smooth on one side 1/4 inch stuff on top. Its darker, and glossy on one side rough on the other. I forget what its called.

Anyhow I did this so when the top gets dirty or jacked up I can just unscrew the finish top and easily replace it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My base is 3/4 plywood, then I screwed some of that smooth on one side 1/4 inch stuff on top. Its darker, and glossy on one side rough on the other. I forget what its called.

Anyhow I did this so when the top gets dirty or jacked up I can just unscrew the finish top and easily replace it.

I've done that on my standard garage workbench as well. I think they just call it "Hard Board" at Home Depot.

Great way to keep the workspace looking good.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I used 3/4" plywood on my bench and have had no problems with it in the several years and uncounted thousands of rounds loaded on it. My frame is stout and I used lots of screws, but my bench has my single stage, progressive and old Lyman 450 bullet sizer on it. I've loaded up to .458 Win Mag on it with no troubles. I used some decent sized washers on the underside, but nothing out of the ordniary.

Doug K

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    I've made several over the last 30 years and I think a solid wood door works the best for the top with 4x4's for the corner legs. Makes for a very heavy, solid foundation for presses and luber/sizers.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    I scrounged my whole reload room from Christy's Auction. They occasionally sell surplus cabinets and tops.Got two large oak sink bases and two matching 4 drawer units with counter tops to fit for $25.
    Also used a solid core door, I scrounged during heavy trash pickup day,as my top on the blackpowder cartrage bench. Frugal is king unless your a PBS gourmond chef.:n00b:

Top Bottom