• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    For a while I've been considering moving up to a Sig P238 of some sort from an LCP. My biggest interest right now is how much flatter/softer shooting the HD model (20 ounces) is than the regular P238 models (15 ounces).

I always train in accurate rapid fire for defensive purposes and the LCP can leave a lot to be desired in this category due to lack of sights, trigger, muzzle fip, etc. at anything more than a few feet. So, I really want to get a pocket gun that is a workable, accurate double tapper within a decent yardage.

I have held, but not fired a few "regular" P238's, and the additional heft, shorter trigger pull and honest to goodness sights make me feel pretty confident in being able to reliably use it to engage a target with rapid shots at more than 10 feet. However, the HD model seems like it may be even better with the additional frame weight.

Anyone ever shot these (regular P238 vs. P238 HD) side by side for comparison? :draw:

Thanks for any input.

Also, if anyone has spotted one of these P238 HD's new for sale in the wild lately, I'd be much obliged if you pointed me in it's direction.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I believe that the only difference is the HD is stainless. Not even sure if it would be heavier. I have the regular model and it is a very excellent shooter. It does exactly what you ask of it, actually exceeded my expectations for it's small size..hhope this helps...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I believe that the only difference is the HD is stainless. Not even sure if it would be heavier.

Yes, it would. The P238 HD tips the scales at 20.1 ounces, while the standard P238 is at 15.2.

20oz is a lot for a "pocket" .380. I think the OP will find the standard P238 models to achieve his stated goal (i.e. being easier and more comfortable to shoot than an LCP), while not being appreciably more cumbersome to carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That 4 plus ounces will make a difference in how it shoots, but it will also make a difference in your pocket every day. I have an original P238 with the stainless slide and aluminum frame and have no trouble dumping a mag into a target accurately in about 3 seconds from 3 yards. Those are great little guns.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I feel kind of stupid admitting it, but I'm not familiar with the HD. I am however familiar with the LCP and the standard P238. I like both, but they are light years apart. The LCP is not pleasant to shoot and does have horrible sights, but I still think it is a great gun. The P238 is very pleasant to shoot and has great sights. It is basically the same size. To me the LCP doesn't really feel like I have a real gun in my hand where as the P238 does. I recommend keeping the LCP, but adding the P238. You will be impressed.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yes, it would. The P238 HD tips the scales at 20.1 ounces, while the standard P238 is at 15.2.

20oz is a lot for a "pocket" .380. I think the OP will find the standard P238 models to achieve his stated goal (i.e. being easier and more comfortable to shoot than an LCP), while not being appreciably more cumbersome to carry.

Thanks. I was thinking about going with the "Sport" model, because it's the standard 15oz weight, comes with the Ameriglo TruGlo front sight, an extra mag (7 rounder) with the pinky extension, and the Hogue overmolded grip. Seems like a good combination for carrying; even pocket carrying.

That 4 plus ounces will make a difference in how it shoots, but it will also make a difference in your pocket every day. I have an original P238 with the stainless slide and aluminum frame and have no trouble dumping a mag into a target accurately in about 3 seconds from 3 yards. Those are great little guns.

That's the one thing - for my wife. She's so recoil sensitive that I think the HD might be the best order. It's heavy, but for her it's seeming like the extra stability might be worth it. The P238 HD is actually the same weight as a Glock 19, just shooting the much lighter round. I forgot to mention that I am considering one of these for the wife too, because the LCP is way too snappy for her.

So, I'm thinking now that I'll get the "Sport" model first, try it out and give my wife a shot with it. Then see how she feels about it and base the choice on another P238 on that.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I feel kind of stupid admitting it, but I'm not familiar with the HD. I am however familiar with the LCP and the standard P238. I like both, but they are light years apart. The LCP is not pleasant to shoot and does have horrible sights, but I still think it is a great gun. The P238 is very pleasant to shoot and has great sights. It is basically the same size. To me the LCP doesn't really feel like I have a real gun in my hand where as the P238 does. I recommend keeping the LCP, but adding the P238. You will be impressed.

That has been my experience too. I'm planning on keeping my LCP, but I got one for my wife as well, and unless I can find another good dedicated use for it, it might have to go toward paying for a P238 for her.

Yeah, especially in the dark, I imagine shooting the LCP is just a total crap shot.

Top Bottom