• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have a "License To Carry Handgun State of Indiana". Does my handgun have to be registered inorder to concel or open carry? I have always been of the understnading that they did, but a friend told me tonight that wasn't the case. Emmo

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm curious why you thought handguns needed to be registered. There are actually very few states that infringe upon their residents with such a registry requirement but the media does tend to propagate such misinformation on a regular basis.

emmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Georgetown
    Thanks everyone for the response. ATM, I'm not sure were I came up with that line of thinking, but I have thought that for many years now. I'm gald to find out I was wrong, thanks again.

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Maybe I don't understand the word register. But I bought a handgun not long ago, of course it was purchased new from a dealer serial numbers were recorded the call was made. I don't know how long this information is kept or where but it is out there someplace.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe I don't understand the word register. But I bought a handgun not long ago, of course it was purchased new from a dealer serial numbers were recorded the call was made. I don't know how long this information is kept or where but it is out there someplace.

It stays in the gun shop until they go out of business.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Excerpted from the INGov website:
    http://iot.custhelp.com/#s=eyJzZiI6...0xLCJzb3J0X2RpcmVjdGlvbiI6MX19fX19fSwiYyI6Mn0

Do I have to register my handgun in Indiana?
    No. Indiana law does not require registration. Federal forms must be completed when purchasing a handgun from a dealer, but not private transfers or sales; however this is not a state registration...
    Date Updated: 04/17/2013

Some people continue to believe they must register a handgun because many years ago, Indiana did require a person to register handguns with local police departments. I could not find the date when that requirement was withdrawn, but people's memories go on a long time.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Excerpted from the INGov website:
    http://iot.custhelp.com/#s=eyJzZiI6...0xLCJzb3J0X2RpcmVjdGlvbiI6MX19fX19fSwiYyI6Mn0

Do I have to register my handgun in Indiana?
    No. Indiana law does not require registration. Federal forms must be completed when purchasing a handgun from a dealer, but not private transfers or sales; however this is not a state registration...
    Date Updated: 04/17/2013

Some people continue to believe they must register a handgun because many years ago, Indiana did require a person to register handguns with local police departments. I could not find the date when that requirement was withdrawn, but people's memories go on a long time.

If I remember correctly, it was mid 90's. I remember the Osceola cop bringing the paperwork for a handgun (Colt All American 2000) my dad had purchased and sold already. I was in high school at the time.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

I think that new gun buyers, a little intimidated with the LGS purchase process, don't realize that the form they fill out, and the resulting phone call, are only a background check. I would venture to say, that if ask just outside the LGS, a large number would be under the impression that the phone call was to some government agency to "regester" the gun to the buyer, and the paperwork would be sent to the same agency to be filed away under their name.

emmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Georgetown
    Thank you lovemywoods, you just supported my suspicion. I inherited my first handgun when my father passed away in 1981. I wanted to carry it while deer scouting and camping so I got a permit to carry when hunting or target shooting. I had thought that the sheriff’s department told me that I could carry a handgun as long as it was registered. I now feel more certain that's where I got that understanding. Sure good to know that I was incorrect. Thanks again to all.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    When I first got my LTCH you had to take the handgun to the local Sheriff (maybe City Police if you lived in town). That was a long time ago and is no longer required in the great state of Indiana.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am going to create a gun registry and advertise my site as the place where everybody has to register all their guns.

I will charge 5 bucks per gun and if I do it with PayPal, I can collect the money while I am on the beach in the Carribean.

I'll bet there are lots of people who feel compelled to register their guns with Indiana Gun Registry LLC.

I am about half serious.....:):

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh, gee whiz, guys, don't you watch television?
    The detectives know the original purchaser of every firearm in America and can get the information, including current address and place of employment in 15 seconds.
    Also, full DNA analysis can be completed in three hours and compared with every database on the planet within 30 seconds.

Top Bottom