Reformatted from XP to Win7 64 bit. There went the afternoon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You still have yours? I went the full monte with 48K, dual single sided drives and used trsdos. Z-80 processors were very stable, counldn't do much, but they were stable.

Didn't like TRSDOS....used LDOS 5.1.4 on the Model III and ran my Model 4P using Monotezuma Micro CP/M 2.2 - Z80's rock!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, I was a command line Unix guy from back in the early 80s, and I likes me some Linux, but I fell in hate with Apple with the first macintoy. First Apple product I ever got new was the iPhone 4S, and that only because it was $.99.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    FindingZero, you are incredibly lucky that you got everything up and working. You are now finding out that all that screaming speed on XP is being eaten up by the new OS. That is what usually happens. The resulting speed and computing power of a computer stays pretty stagnant, regardless of increases in processor speeds. Any increases are negated by OS bloat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    FindingZero, you are incredibly lucky that you got everything up and working. You are now finding out that all that screaming speed on XP is being eaten up by the new OS. That is what usually happens. The resulting speed and computing power of a computer stays pretty stagnant, regardless of increases in processor speeds. Any increases are negated by OS bloat.

My new MBP absolutely screams on Maverics.

Just sayin'

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I'm a certified Mac tech and have had occasion to carry a MBP laptop for a year or more. I work on macs all the time so believe you me they can and do break in all kinds of interesting ways. Windows when it breaks I can fix, and fix easily but Macs will break in ways that Apples suggests "reinstall" as the fix and I personally hate that kind of answer.

I will admit that I flat out love time machine though, that is the bast thing ever. If a person is using that and gets a new machine there is no easier way to have them comfortable on after setup as it becomes the same old machine basically. Amazing, best thing apple ever made IMO.

In the end I use windows for day to day work, 7 or 8 works fine for me and better than the Macs. Don't know why, but I do prefer windows. I'm looking to build another hackintosh here soon just for the fun of it, but it is more to stay sharp on all OSes than real desire to use it.

I'll also join the Tandy CoCo 3 crowd, that was my first machine and it was awesome to me at the time anyway. Still around somewhere I'm pretty sure actually. Good times, early dos was so much fun too, messing around with loading sound drivers or whatever into himem.sys so I could get enough of my precious 640k freed up to play a game or run a program for instance. :)

Last edited:

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    but Macs will break in ways that Apples suggests "reinstall" as the fix and I personally hate that kind of answer.

Any AppleCare tech that immediately jumps to a reinstall is either a) lazy, b)not following protocol, or c) both. Reinstalling is always the last possible step, unless told otherwise.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Are you kidding?

When I bought this rig in 2009 I had them swap out Win 7 for XP for that very reason. It seems to take awhile to boot up now. I was getting web page freezes today so I dumped IE 11 for Firefox. My SB Audigy card didn't wanna work either, but I got some sound now. Printer scanner still locks, but I've got more to do. Unhijacking search page back to Google from Astromenda, and uninstalling malware that hijacked in on browser installs. My life is full! lol...All this kept me from suffering deep abandonment issues today from INGO nogo.....

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It is obviously all your recent interference with the force that has caused our recent INGO outage....OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!

Top Bottom