Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I am looking for sights for my SA. My long distance vision is fine, but I require reading glasses for close up stuff. My night sights just aren't cutting it. Would you recommend these for my situation?

Yeah, these are great. Great for close-up work. I have them on my HK P200sk also. Make sure you get the correct cut though. Kimber has a different cut for their sights then SA.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I think the next set I get will be some kind of bar/dot setup.
    I had those on the .45 Firestar and I really liked them till the front dot got roasted.
    Porting was not the most wisest thing I ever did to that pistol.

I thnk Novak makes a set that I am talking about.
    I'll see if I can find you a link when I get a chance.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Nice work. Would you share what kind of files you used to round off the frame?

Just used a regular half round file about 6" long, not real aggressive. Followed by some emery cloth 120 grit and then finished with 400 grit wet paper and some WD40. I think in one of the pics you can just see the file at the bottom. I really took my time, the hardest part is to make it look even, especially at the grove that holds the MSH in place. Notice I said "look" it is round, it's not like someone is going to put a straightedge on it or something.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I had a LCR W/ a big dot on it, didn't mind it, but it is hard to compare that with a normal 2 piece sight arrangement . I will have to check it out more. How do you like it? Do you feel it is accurate enough?

Very accurate. You have to get used to aiming it though when compared to 3-dot sighting systems. Once the learning curve was over, I found that I could aim a lot quicker with just using the front sight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Very accurate. You have to get used to aiming it though when compared to 3-dot sighting systems. Once the learning curve was over, I found that I could aim a lot quicker with just using the front sight.

Sig, what is your vision like? I am 52, lasik done for good 20/20 long distance vision, using 1.75 reading glasses and I am cross dominant. I am having a heck of a time reacquiring the front sight after a shot and lining it up between the rear sight!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Sig, what is your vision like? I am 52, lasik done for good 20/20 long distance vision, using 1.75 reading glasses and I am cross dominant. I am having a heck of a time reacquiring the front sight after a shot and lining it up between the rear sight!

It is 20/20 with contacts. I am near-sighted so my vision is OK now @ distance. You really don't have to use the rear sight at all once you get it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Been doing some reading and watching of YouTube videos. Several references are made that these are self defense type sights not made for match shooting. Does this mean they may not be good for IDPA or Steel Challenges? I don't really want a sight that is just effective at man killing.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Been doing some reading and watching of YouTube videos. Several references are made that these are self defense type sights not made for match shooting. Does this mean they may not be good for IDPA or Steel Challenges? I don't really want a sight that is just effective at man killing.

Probably not then. I am accurate with them out to 15yds as I don't ever plan on shooting any farther then that with my HK or Kimber.

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    OP, you did a fine job, I cant believe the price of Kimber pistols, and the problems and complaints on the finnish coming off. I would hope they are making some changes on their finishing of their guns.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Only thing missing is you need to round off under the trigger guard

Really did think about that, and I still might do it. I have seen this done on a glock and I think Kimber or Springfield has done this on a 1911. Thats the one neat thing about bead blasting stainless , if you want to make some changes or it gets scratched it is easily corrected.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    OP, you did a fine job, I cant believe the price of Kimber pistols, and the problems and complaints on the finnish coming off. I would hope they are making some changes on their finishing of their guns.
    Thanks,
    Talked to Kimber before I started this, I read on the internet that they had refinished some Kimpro guns with KimproII. My gun was too old and they were no longer offering that for free :( However they would be happy to coat it w/ KimproII for around $400 + shipping and stripping the old finish :n00b: No way if they couldn't do it right the first time or fix what they clearly admit is defective (I could care less of the age) for free, they will not get a dime from me.

Top Bottom