Refinishing a revolver and needing other 38 spl advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    My girlfriend is wanting one of the Charter Arms Lavender Ladies but she wants a 4 inch barrel. Charter doesnt make one and though I have no experience with there guns Id feel much better with her having a Smith ( Maybe Im biased but I just dont trust them). I found 4 inch S&W model 10 police trade ins for $240. I know the finish is gonna be pretty worn if we go down that route so Im not afraid of having it redone. Only thing she cares about it is the color. This will be her first gun of her own. Shes been using my S&W 28 for too darn long (lol I miss it) So If I had her get a higher quality gun for less money and had it refinished to that Lavender color for abut the same price as the Charter I would sleep a bit better at night. I know nothing about refinishing so Id like to have someone else do it. Does anyone do it around the Ft. Wayne area? My Girlfriend lives by Muncie so going to Indy wouldnt be a big issue though. Can you get a lavender or purplish color? Gunkote vs Duracoat? Whats the difference? What can I expect this to cost me? I have also found 2 other similar revolvers that are police trade ins, A Rossi model 841 and a Taurus 82 both are $150. How do these compare quality wise to the Smith? I know that Rossi is made by Taurus and that both Taurus and Smith have great warranties but these being ex police guns and in the case of the Rossi and Taurus they are foreign police and security trade ins so will there lifetime warranties still cover these guns?

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally would stick with the used Smith.Almost all of these guns are good mechanically,and if you are going to have it refinished anyway,it won't matter.I have had good luck with a couple of taurus,and one rossi years ago,but why bother.I just bought a used Smith mod 65-2 at the 1500.It looked filthy,but when I got it home and cleaned it,it was almost new.no cylinder ring,tight lock up and it's pinned and recessed to boot.I think these old Smiths were the best revolvers ever made.They protected Police officers all over the world for a hell of a long time,and if I were still in uniform,would rather carry one than a lot of new stuff.Just my 2 cents.George

Top Bottom